[Svrilist] SV in the News: 02 12 06

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Mon Dec 4 09:33:16 SAST 2006

Dear SVRI List Members

To follow is a list of newspaper articles and other stories on sexual violence from across the globe. If you would like to suggest resources to be included on the SVRI Updates or on the SVRI website, please email svri at mrc.ac.za <mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za> . For additional resources and information on sexual violence, visit us at www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/> .

Sexual Violence in the News:

Darfur's violence spreads across borders
Mail and Guardian Online, 2 December 2006
The chief's story is dark and familiar. Attackers on horseback shattering his dawn ritual of tea brewing -- shouting racial venom, killing men, raping women. The survivors fleeing to a makeshift camp, sheltering from the desert sun under lengths of cloth strung from thorn trees.
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=292044&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__africa/

LA diocese settles abuse claims
BBC Online, 1 December 2006
The largest Roman Catholic diocese in the US has agreed to pay $60m (£30m) to settle dozens of lawsuits alleging sexual abuse by priests.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/2/hi/americas/6200882.stm

Sex Abuse of Girls Is Stubborn Scourge in Africa
New York Times, 1 December 2006
Thirty miles outside this down-at-the-heels seaside town, Justin Betombo tends his vanilla plants and cheers the local soccer team as if he had not a care in the world. And in fact, what was once his greatest worry has been almost magically lifted from his shoulders.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/01/world/africa/01madagascar.html?em&ex=1165208400&en=4afeb28fb61c9802&ei=5087%0A

Archdiocese in Los Angeles Settles Claims of Sex Abuse
New York Times, 1 December 2006
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles has agreed to a $60 million settlement of claims by 45 people against clergymen who had sexually abused them as children, the archdiocese announced Friday.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/02/us/02settle.html?th&emc=th

Rape and sexual violence fuels AIDS among women
Spero News, 1 December 2006
The world must tame the pandemic from the bud. Otherwise it will just be business-as-usual as women continue to die.
http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?idCategory=34&idsub=127&id=6880&t=Rape+and+sexual+violence+fuels+AIDS+among+women

World AIDS Day Focuses Spotlight on Links Between Sexual Violence, Broken Justice Systems and HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Yahoo News, 30 November 2006
In recognition of World AIDS Day, International Justice Mission calls upon the U.S. and other international donors to help AIDS-burdened countries in Africa build judicial capacity to investigate and prosecute sexual violence against women and girls.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061130/dcth072.html?.v=36

Violence: an Ever-Present Threat:  HIV in Haiti is spread by violence - and little is done to prevent the attacks
Public Integrity - Washington,DC,USA, 30 November 2006
Dieula sits in a circle of women on the tiled floor of a dimly lit room here, discussing the sexual violence that makes HIV infection an ever-present danger for Haitian women. "The woman in Haiti doesn't have rights," she says. "Only men have rights to decide." The rest of the women in the group agree. She adds, quietly: "Our misery increases every day."
http://www.publicintegrity.org/aids/report.aspx?aid=814

Disembowelled, then torn apart: The price of daring to teach girl
The Independent, 29 November 2006
The gunmen came at night to drag Mohammed Halim away from his home, in front of his crying children and his wife begging for mercy.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article2023831.ece

Communication called key to stopping sexual violence
CNHI News Service, 29 November 2006
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Open communication lines among college males could be the key to reducing the incidences of sexual violence, according to an Oklahoma State Department of Health official.
http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_333111616?keyword=secondarystory

FEATURE-Nigerians find violence in Italy sex trade
Reuters 29 November 2006
The prostitutes lining the roads around Turin, a hub for the Nigerian sex trade, have names that evoke dreams of a bright future -- Joy, Blessing, Hope.  Hope that they could escape poverty at home in Africa's most populous nation drew these women to Italy. But when they arrived, they were saddled with crushing debts. They were spat at, insulted, robbed and even raped.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L16648241.htm

UNHCR protection network brings hope to abused women in northern Sri Lanka
UNHCR, 29 November 2006
A wave of relief and happiness washed over Shanthi* as she watched her grandmother walk into the UNHCR office in Mannar. After years of sexual and physical abuse at the hands of her uncle, she realised that she was finally free. No more tears, no more anguish.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/UNHCR/3ff58d436343d53c5d54ee58c52c9dd3.htm

AFGHANISTAN: Desperate women choose suicide
IRIN News, 29 November 2006
Some 100 women have attempted suicide by committing self-immolation or taking poison during the last eight months in the insurgency-hit southern province of Kandahar, an Afghan human rights watchdog said on Wednesday.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/c6e122daf6af099c9c5ed72e1d302814.htm

Violence and HIV - the need for rights-based approaches to HIV/AIDS
AI News Service, 29 November 2006
On World AIDS Day 2006 - 1 December - Amnesty International calls for the protection of human rights of all people living with HIV/AIDS and for human rights based approaches to be at the centre of all responses to HIV/AIDS.
http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/document.do?id=ENGPOL300562006

Amnesty: Rape by Nigerian security forces 'endemic'
Mail and Guardian Online, 28 November 2006
Rights group Amnesty International on Tuesday issued a scathing report on Nigeria, calling the rape of women by its security forces "endemic" while the government fails to bring the attackers to justice.
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleId=291591&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__africa/

In Crisis - Violence Against Women
Infoshop News, 28 November 2006
Amnesty International recently launched a campaign to stop the brutal physical, psychological, and sexual acts against women world-wide. The movement also spotlights the inappropriate behaviour of servicemen who have crossed the line with fellow female cadets.
http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=20061128064107938

Zimbabwean film takes first prize at UN festival spotlighting gender-based violence
UN News Service, 28 November2006
A Zimbabwean director has taken first prize in an Africa-wide film festival organized by the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) to heighten awareness about gender-based violence across the continent.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20755&Cr=gender&Cr1=violence

African countries pledge to fight violence against women in UN-backed campaign
UN News Service, 28 November 2006
Twenty-two African countries have recommitted themselves to ending violence against women and children as part of a United Nations-backed 16-day-long campaign against the scourge.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20749&Cr=violence&Cr1=women

Culture of neglect, denial about violence against women is 'massive' - top UN official
UN News Service 27 November 2006
There is a "massive" culture of neglect and denial about violence against women, and refugee populations are in the front line of the scourge, according to the top United Nations refugee official.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20732&Cr=women&Cr1=violence

ZAMBIA: More than 10 girls raped every week
IRIN News 27 November 2006
A Zambian nongovernmental organisation (NGO) revealed this week that it records eight cases of rape of young girls every week at its centre in the capital, Lusaka.
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=56528&SelectRegion=Southern_Africa&SelectCountry=ZAMBIA

Burundi: Government under pressure to curb continued rights violations
Reuters AlertNet - London,England,UK 27 November 2006
Human-rights violations have continued in Burundi, despite a new democratically elected government, according to a senior United Nations official in the country. Sexual violence is commonplace, while arbitrary killings, arrests and torture are also happening, according to Ismael Diallo, the director of the human-rights division of the UN Operation in Burundi (ONUB).
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/7f2c5ddb2663e7b97a875fcfcdf98110.htm

Europe: where violence begins at home
Café Babel - Strasbourg,France, 27 November
>From Rome to Warsaw: at least seven to nine hundred women a year die at the hands of a partner in Europe
http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=8969

Women in belgium die yearly due to home violence
Islamic Republic News Agency - Tehran,Iran, 27 November 2006
Seventy women die in Belgium each year as a result of violence in the home, according to a Belgian women's organization.
http://www.irna.ir/en/news/view/menu-239/0611277209131326.htm

Huntley: a history of violence
The Sunday Times - UK, 27 November 2006
Ian Huntley is an example of a man who showed a propensity for sexual violence without actually having been convicted of a serious offence.

One Man Can Campaign Toolkit Launched
Provincial Government of the Western Cape - South Africa, 27 November 2006
The One Man Can Action Toolkit is a resource to support South African men to take action to end violence against women in South Africa. The Toolkit includes a resource directory, workshop materials, and information on how to develop healthy relationships and how to support victims of violence. Facts about violence against women in South Africa and action sheets for teachers, fathers, coaches, religious leaders and youth are also included. All of these materials are available online at  www.genderjustice.org.za/onemandcan
http://www.capegateway.gov.za/eng/pubs/news/2006/nov/149019

International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women:  Dalit women are determined to transform their pain into power
OneWorld.net - London,England,UK, 27 November 2006
International Conference seeks urgent action on discrimination and violence against Dalit Women Dalit women from South Asia are determined to ''transform their pain into power''. http://southasia.oneworld.net/article/view/142985/1/1893

ESE: Low level of reporting violence against women in Macedonia
MRT online - Skopje,Macedonia, 27 November 2006
With the campaign for fight against family violence under the motto "Say No. Help the Violence to Become Past," which will be conducted until December 10, Macedonia joins the marking of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence Campaign
http://www.mrt.com.mk/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1614&Itemid=26

Rape Is Rape, No matter when it begins.
Washington Post, 27 November 2006
IS IT RAPE if a woman agrees to have sex, then changes her mind after the act has begun and tells the man to stop? Not in Maryland, no matter how clear it is that the woman has withdrawn her consent. According to a ruling last month by the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, the state's intermediate appellate court, forcing a woman to continue to have sex against her will is not rape under common law and state court precedents. If this is a correct interpretation of the law, the law should be changed.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/26/AR2006112600718.html?referrer=email

Zambian Widow Defies Custom and Life Amid Graves
WeNews correspondent, 26 November 2006
Theresa Chilala refused to be "inherited" by her deceased husband's family in Zambia through a custom known as sexual cleansing. Her ensuing legal battles highlight the frictions between customary inheritance laws and international norms.
http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/2971/context/cover/

Abuse victims called upon to report complaints
Mail and Guardian Online, 26 November 2006
Gauteng minister of community safety Firoz Cachalia has called on victims of family violence and abused children who are unhappy with police service to report complaints to his office, South African Broadcasting Corporation news reported on Saturday.
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=291126&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__national/

Twenty five years of standing up
Corvallis Gazette Times - Corvallis,OR,USA, 26 November 2006
Six years ago, Susie Foster spent three sleepless nights in her van, with her three young children piled up on the seats, constantly in fear of an impending attack. The violent treatment she was receiving from her boyfriend finally reached the point that she fled their shared apartment, but with nowhere to go, she kept her family together in the van, not knowing if her partner would track her down and attack again.
http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2006/11/27/news/top_story/7aaa01_cardv.txt

On Violence Against Women
Jamaica Observer - Kingston,Jamaica 26 November 2006
November 25 is designated the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Too often people talk about this subject without really understanding what the term means or what the term covers.
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/AllWoman/html/20061126T190000-0500_115846_OBS_ON_VIOLENCE_AGAINST_WOMEN_.asp

Stephen Lunn: Social attitudes fuel boys' sexual violence, OPINION
The Australian, 25 November 2006
TAKE a close look at the next 12 to 14-year-old boy you see. Do not let the awkward, gazelle legs fool you. He and his peers have some of the most antisocial attitudes to violence against women in Australia, research shows.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20814961-7583,00.html

Feminism's New Faces
The Korea Times, 24 November 2006
There is a simple expression that says there are two sides to every coin. Well, here is an article that will justify that saying. First, I'll start with the bad news and then I'll end on a good note. Bear with me as I go through the bad news. It's ghastly. Oh, and I should mention, this article is in recognition of Nov. 25; ``International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.'' That should give you a heads up _ pun intended.
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/opinion/200611/kt2006112419261554060.htm

UN joins in 16-day campaign to fight violence against women
UN News Service, 24 November 2006
>From bride burning and sexual violence as a weapon of war to genital mutilation, date rape and child marriage, gender-based violence will be the focus of a United Nations-backed 16-day-long campaign being launched tomorrow.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20722&Cr=violence&Cr1=women

UN Independent Expert Urges the World Community to Address Various Forms of Violence Against Women and Girls
UN Press Release, 24 November 2006
On the occasion of the International Day on the Elimination of Violence against Women (25 November), the Special Rapporteur on Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children, Ms. Sigma Huda issued the following press statement
http://www.unhchr.ch/huricane/huricane.nsf/view01/E6D1FDC2100E8B31C125723000819F86?opendocument

GUINEA: Counting on hope and prayer as violent crime soars
IRIN News, 24 November 2006
The six imams sitting in a circle on the living room floor reciting the Koran are sanctifying the Baldez house so the bad fortune that saw one of the family's four daughters brutally assaulted outside her own front door will not return.
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=56505&SelectRegion=West_Africa&SelectCountry=GUINEA

Senegal: Raising the profile of abuse
IRIN News, 24 November 2006
When Henriette Tine was brutally attacked by her husband with a large wooden pestle the size of a bat, hundreds of women from her native Casamance rose up in protest. Their call to action reveals a growing awareness amongst West African women of their rights
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=56508&SelectRegion=West_Africa&SelectCountry=SENEGAL

Albania - First Helpline Dedicated to Migration and Trafficking Issues
IOM Press Briefing Notes, 24 November 2006
The first helpline dedicated to providing information and counselling on regular migration and on trafficking issues has been launched by IOM in Albania in close coordination with Albanian authorities and the UN's Office for Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The helpline will not only provide information, but also direct assistance and support to trafficking victims and potential victims of human trafficking.
http://www.iom.int/jahia/Jahia/pbnEU/cache/offonce?entryId=12057

Pakistan senate backs rape bill
BBC News 23 November 2006
The upper house of Pakistan's parliament has backed a bill amending an Islamic law on rape and adultery.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6178214.stm

Violence in Iraq Increasingly Targeting Women
Agence France-Presse - 23 November, 2006
Women are increasingly the victims of violence in Iraq, as direct targets of assassinations and as widows left without support after the deaths of their husbands, an Iraqi women's activist has said.
http://www.gulfinthemedia.com/index.php?m=global_search&id=263711&lang=en

Child Soldiers Continue to be Recruited and Used Around the World, Says UN Report
UN News Centre, 20 November 2006
Government forces, rebel groups, armed militia and mercenaries operating in conflicts in at least 12 countries recruit children to serve as soldiers or are responsible for murdering, torturing and committing sexual crimes against them, according to a new report from Secretary-General Kofi Annan.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20666&Cr=child&Cr1

ZIMBABWE: Child abused every hour, new data reveals
IRIN News, 20 November2006
A child is abused every hour in Zimbabwe, according to new data released by a group of nongovernmental organisations (NGOs) working to stop the suffering.
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=56443

Campaign approach includes website, advertising
Thestar.com 17 November 2006.
By the time they're 8, many girls already see themselves as second-class citizens.

That's why the province is now targeting girls from 8 to 14 in a $1.4 million campaign on dating violence and sexual harassment, said Sandra Pupatello, Ontario's minister responsible for women's issues.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1163717412402&call_pageid=968256289824

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a legitimate public health problem.  If you want to know more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>  or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za. To unsubscribe from the list, email svri at mrc.ac.za

Please circulate these resources widely.

--
This e-mail and its contents are subject to the
South African Medical Research Council