[Svrilist] SV in the News: 08 12 06

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Fri Dec 8 10:33:19 SAST 2006

Dear SVRI List Members

To follow is a list of newspaper articles and other stories on sexual
violence from across the globe. If you would like to suggest resources
to be included on the SVRI Updates or on the SVRI website, please email
svri at mrc.ac.za. For additional resources and information on sexual
violence, visit us at www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/> .

Sexual Violence in the News:

Juries are 'unsympathetic' to women who claim rape after drunken binge
The Times, 7 December 2006
Juries are reluctant to convict men of rape in cases where the alleged
victim has been drinking, research published today suggests.

Escalating Violence Across Darfur Sparks Urgent Appeal From Annan
UNITED NATIONS NEWS SERVICE, 7 December, 2006
Deploring the recent upsurge in violence and displacement across the
war-torn Sudanese region of Darfur, Secretary-General Kofi Annan today
expressed alarm that the worsening situation may have devastating
consequences for neighbouring Chad and the Central African Republic
(CAR) as well.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20891&Cr=sudan&Cr1=

Government won't oppose turnover of Smith to US
The Philippine Star, 7 December 2006
Government prosecutors disclosed yesterday that they would not oppose
the request of the US Embassy to regain custody of US Marine Lance
Corporal Daniel Smith who was convicted of raping a 23-year-old Filipina
at the former American naval base in Subic in 2005.
http://www.philstar.com/philstar/News200612070402.htm

Kenyans Protest Rape, Sexual Violence in Darfur
Voice of America - USA, 7 December 2006
Hundreds of Kenyans marched in the streets of Nairobi, calling for the
end of rapes and other abuses being committed against girls and women in
Darfur.  The march is one of several events planned worldwide through
Sunday to call for an end to violence in the war-torn region of western
Sudan.  Cathy Majtenyi reports for VOA from Nairobi.
http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-12-07-voa29.cfm

Men too macho to seek protection of the law
Mail and Guardian Online, 7 December 2006
"Men think that seeking legal protection is a woman's thing only," says
Nombulelo Mkhuma, a paralegal at Tshwaranang Legal Advocacy Centre. A
new study points out that both men and women are affected by domestic
abuse in their families, although they experience it differently.
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=292154&area=/insight/moni
tor/

Rape juries acquit in alcohol-related cases: study
Khaleej Times Online, 7 December 2006
Juries in rape trials are less likely to convict a defendant if the
victim was drinking before the attack, according to a study on Thursday.
Researchers said some jurors hold women partly to blame for being raped
if they were drunk, accepted a drink from their attacker or failed to
notice their glass was spiked.
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/theworld/20
06/December/theworld_December162.xml&section=theworld

Rape makes up 15% of domestic violence
Independent Online - Cape Town, South Africa, 6 December 2006
Sexual abuse or rape makes up a staggering 15 percent of domestic
violence cases, 25 percent of which have included forced sex in front of
children, according to UCT researcher Lillian Artz.
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=15&art_id=vn20061206032
640720C854444

'Everything in my life has crumbled'

The Guardian, 6 December 2006
A new study says that women asylum seekers who claim to have been raped
in their own countries are rarely believed in British courts. Laura
Smith reports
http://society.guardian.co.uk/asylumseekers/story/0,,1965069,00.html

Filipinos Can Tolerate Foreign Boorish Behavior But Not Abuse
Arab News, 6 December 2006
The conviction of an American Marine by a Philippine court on Monday
made headlines not only in the local papers, but around the world. Three
of his co-accused were acquitted, not necessarily because they were
innocent of any wrongdoing, but because the prosecution failed to prove
they were involved in a conspiracy to commit rape
http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=89654&d=6&m=12&y=2006

Women in black speak out
Kenya Times, 6 December 2006
Women within the Coastal region are upbeat on putting a stop to gender
violence. As the campaign against gender violence picks up, women across
the country are coming out in numbers to advance their cause.
http://www.timesnews.co.ke/06dec06/magazine/magazine2.html

MySpace Tool to Help Block Sex Offenders
The Associated Press, 5 December 2006
The popular online hangout MySpace said Tuesday it will develop
technologies to help block convicted sex offenders, the site's latest
attempt to address complaints about sexual predators and other dangers
to teens.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/05/AR200612
0500620.html?referrer=email&referrer=email&referrer=email

MPs move against sexual violence in Burundi
AngolaPress - Angola, 5 December 2006
Bujumbura, Burundi 12/05 - Burundi`s parliamentary network on population
and development issues has advocated tougher laws to curb increasing
sexual violence in the country.
http://www.angolapress-angop.ao/noticia-e.asp?ID=492579

LIBERIA: Health, justice lacking for abused women

IRIN News, 4 December 2006
"It was a shock for me when I was raped," the lithe 15-year-old girl
said with tears running down her face. "The man called and asked me to
help him wash his clothes. After doing the washing, he told me to clean
up his bedroom and while doing that he jumped on me, tore off my clothes
and began raping me."
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=56612&SelectRegion=West_Afri
ca

RIGHTS-IRAN: Stoning for Adultery - More a Women's Issue
IPS News, 4 December 2006
Currently, in Iran, there are nine women sentenced to death by stoning
on charges of adultery, compared to two men for the same offence --
highlighting the fact that
http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=35701this barbaric mode of
execution is primarily a women's issue.

US Marine guilty of raping Filipina, 3 others acquitted
INQ7, 4 December 2006
ONE of four US Marines accused of raping a Filipina in Subic last year
was found guilty while three others were acquitted by a local court
Monday.
http://newsinfo.inq7.net/topstories/topstories/view_article.php?article_
id=36279

I had lost every hope. My personality had been wiped
Mail and Guardian Online, 4 December 2006
Jeanne fled the Democratic Republic of Congo after being repeatedly
raped and tortured by rebels. She had been working for a non-government
organisation in the east of the country and the rebels accused her of
being a spy. "My life was in great danger and I was very near to death.
I was detained for at least two months," she says.
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=292106&area=/breaking_new
s/breaking_news__africa/

Malaysian city warns of fines on women for wearing 'sexy' attire
The Associated Press, 4 December, 2006
Authorities in a Malaysian city have warned waitresses and female staff
of retail outlets that they face a US$138 fine if they wear revealing
and tight fitting clothes, a news report said Tuesday.
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/12/05/asia/AS_GEN_Malaysia_Revealing
_Attire.php

Revision of rape laws in Pakistan is a valuable step towards empowering
women
Medical News Today, 4 December, 2006
Pakistan's recent vote in favour of the Women's Protection Bill, which
allows rape cases to be tried under the civil penal code rather than
under Sharia law, is a valuable step towards facilitating the
empowerment of all women - the third Millennium Development Goal, states
an Editorial in The Lancet.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=57926&nfid=al

Bath girl rapist jailed for life
BBC News, 2 December 2006
A man who abducted a six-year-old girl from her bathtub and raped her is
given three life sentences.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/6197718.stm

Violence Against Women: Stories You Rarely Hear About
UNFPA News, 23 November 2006
Every day, women all over the world are abducted into forced marriage;
subjected to harmful traditional practices; married, while still
children, to far older men; and injured through gang rape and rape with
foreign objects-usually during conflict.
http://www.unfpa.org/news/news.cfm?ID=900

More Countries Have Laws Banning Domestic Violence, Says UN Women's
Rights Official
UN News Service, 22 November 2006
The number of countries with laws tackling the scourge of domestic
violence has surged in the last three years, with 89 States now with
some sort of provisions, the head of the United Nations Development Fund
for Women said today.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20703&Cr=unifem&Cr1

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated
evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global
Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council,
South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and
generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a
legitimate public health problem.  If you want to know more about the
SVRI visit our website www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>  or contact

Please circulate these resources widely.

--
This e-mail and its contents are subject to the
South African Medical Research Council