[Svrilist] Strengthening sexual violence advocacy initiatives through research

Kim McGregor kim at rapecrisis.org.nz
Tue Jun 6 01:12:17 SAST 2006

Following the Louise Nicholas case in New Zealand we had a lot of media
interest and public outrage when the three Policemen accused of raping
Louise were acquitted. We used Liz Kelly's research (UK) to point out that 1
in 10 rapes are likely to be reported and probably only 5% of REPORTED rapes
achieve a conviction. (I attach my speech from the march).

We are currently working with a group of lawyers and are gaining cross party
government support for a Task Force to look at the adversarial process and
rape investigations. We are currently drawing up terms of references for the
Task Force (should the government grant us this review). I know that we are
embarking upon years of work but this case is the first time in the 20 years
that I have worked in this field that there has been such huge public
outrage that we can use to call for change.

Warm regards to you all

Kim
Dr Kim McGregor
Director