[Svrilist] empirical research in on sexual violence in Bosnia

svrilist at mrc.ac.za svrilist at mrc.ac.za
Tue May 16 12:30:39 SAST 2006

Dear all,

I am in the process of designing empirical methodology for my doctoral thesis which will involve a 4wk stay in Bosnia. I am evaluating international legal protections from sexual violence during armed conflicts.
I am intending to interview key professionals from therepeutic, medical, social work, NGO and legal backgrounds.
I am acutely aware that given the widespread nature of sexual violence that some of those professionals working with victims may themselves have been victimised.
I have worked with victims of sexual violence in the past but not in a research capacity.
Whilst the thesis does not rely on input from victims, (in fact my supervisors were adamnent that such a project wouldn't receive ethical approval at PhD level) I recognise that such input would inrich the research.

I was hoping that some of you might share your experiences of having conducted similar research and provide guidance in the design of suitable ethically sound methodology.

I look forward to hearing  from you soon.

Many thanks,

Sorcha Mc Kenna, B.A. (Hons), LLM
PhD Research Fellow
Transitional Justice Institute