[Svrilist] Kenyan Activists Push for change in Rape Laws

svrilist at mrc.ac.za svrilist at mrc.ac.za
Thu May 18 15:01:54 SAST 2006

Getting out this news is incredibly important so that effective actions can
be taken.  In the case of an 11-year old girl being repeatedly raped and
becoming pregnant, I think that we need to go beyond seeing this as a pity
to seeing this as a crime and violation of her basic human rights.  Forced
pregnancy is defined as such and countries (in their legal frameworks),
health systems (in their services), and activists need to address this issue
head-on so that women and girls who are forcibly impregnated from rape have
options, including the option to abort the pregnancy under safe, accessible
and humane conditions.  Work throughout Latin America has shown that this is
necessary and feasible but takes a concerted and collaborative effort on the
part of many sectors of society (see pubs at
http://www.ipas.org/english/publications/violence_against_women.asp).

Deborah Billings, PhD
Senior Associate, R&E
Ipas/ Ipas Mexico www.ipas.org