[Svrilist] Kenyan Activists Push for change in Rape Laws

svrilist at mrc.ac.za svrilist at mrc.ac.za
Fri May 19 10:14:56 SAST 2006

I could not agree more. Rather than feeling pity we should be expressing
outrage.

Outrage at the violation of the rights of a young girl and the loss of
her childhood.

Outrage that the dominant patriarchal culture and power structures
throughout the world perpetuate the objectification of women.

Outrage that rather than condemning men's actions and adopting zero
tolerance policies, court after court ask women to explain what they did
to "provoke" him and set the perpetrator free to violate yet another
woman.

Outrage that women's rights continue to be violated in every corner of
the earth.

Outrage that as Stephen Lewis so passionately expressed in his February
25, 2006 Speech to a conference on UN Reform and Human Rights that the
UN itself is guilty of "shameless patriarchal assault" on women and
girls through its gross under-funding to and devaluation of
international women's human rights machinery rather than taking
leadership and concerted actions to end this violence.

It's not good enough to "protect" women and girls. Programmes such as
the alternative fuel options and income-generation programmes being
promoted by the Women's Commission for refugee Women and Children in its
new report, Beyond Firewood: Fuel Alternatives and Protection Strategies
for Displaced Women and Girls, and programmes to otherwise increase
safety for women and girls in camps, and rural and urban settings are
laudable...

But, women and girls will never be safe until men see them as persons
with inherent dignity and full human rights. As long as men view women
and girls as something to be owned, used and played with, girls and
women will never be safe. As long as local communities, national
governments and the international community give men license to act in
this way, women and girls will never be safe.

We should be outraged that we as women are required to live in fear, to
always be looking over our shoulders, to always be wondering, "Is this
the man who is going to assault me?"

We should be outraged that the international community's response is to
build "fences" around us, to "protect" us, to "keep us safe", but fail
to take concerted action to get rid of the predators who are constantly
lurking out there, and the social structures that breed them.

Unless they are stopped, predators will always be lurking around and we
will never be safe, we will never enjoy our human rights.

Every local community council, every national government and the
international community should be held accountable for every violation
of the rights of girls and women, for every predator who is not brought
to justice, for every system, policy, programme, service, action,
message that perpetuates the culture of male dominance and
objectification of women.

We should be joining Stephen Lewis in his call for a "separate women's
agency, with financing of at least a billion dollars a year (in order
even to approximate the wealth and clout of other UN agencies), and
several thousand staff".

Mary Anne Burke

Health Analyst/Statistician

Global Forum for Health Research

1-5 route des Morillons

PO Box 2100

1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland

T + 41 22 791 3808

F + 41 22 791 4394

email: maryanne.burke at globalforumhealth.org

www.globalforumhealth.org

Forum 10, Cairo 29 October - 2 November 2006