[Svrilist] Call for Proposals: Review of Programme Evaluation Toolsand Methods; advances

svrilist at mrc.ac.za svrilist at mrc.ac.za
Sun May 21 03:41:23 SAST 2006

I'd like to share the work that we're (Ipas in collaboration with colleagues
at the University of NC, Chapel Hill) conducting for a UNFPA-funded project
on evaluating services for sexual violence victims/survivors.  It consists
of:

1. Literature review on Health Care Based Interventions for Women who have
Experienced Sexual Violence.  We used a Data Abstraction Form to review the
selected publications, along with a Data Abstraction Form Key that helped to
define each of the concepts considered in the review process.  The Data
Abstraction Form collected six types of information, including information
concerning: (i) the location of the study and the eligibility criteria; (ii)
the study design and sample; (iii) the intervention examined; (iv) the
measures and indicators used in the study; (v) the study results; and (vi)
aspects of study quality.

2. From the literature, we developed a list of measures/indicators that were
used in the evaluations, grouped into the following categories:  Health -
these focus on physical health, mental/psychological health, and coping
mechanisms used in response to sexual assault; Knowledge - these focus on
health care provider knowledge concerning sexual assault and/or how to care
for patients who have been sexually assaulted; Attitudes - these focus
health care providers' attitudes concerning sexual assault, patient
attributions concerning the sexual assault that they experienced, patient
satisfaction with care that they received, and personal and community
beliefs concerning sexual assault; Behaviors - these focus on various
behavioral aspects related to sexual assault events, such as the use of
force or weapons during the assault, the relationship of the perpetrator to
the victim, substance use by the perpetrator and victim before the assault,
the duration of time between the assault and care seeking, disclosure
concerning the assault, etc.;  Service Delivery - these focus on health care
service delivery and health care provider practices; and Other
Measures/Indicators - these include other measures/indicators of interest.

The data abstraction forms and indicators will be available within a month
as an Ipas/UNC publication on-line.

The literature review has been submitted to a peer-reviewed journal for
possible publication.

In the second phase of the project, we have developed a set of accessible
tools (questionnaires, checklists and data abstraction forms) that we'll use
to evaluate services, norms, and policies related to services (mainly in the
health sector) for SV victims/survivors in four Latin American countries.
The tools are linked to a set of basic indicators that were developed in
collaboration with colleagues throughout the region.

We'd be very pleased to share the tools, list of indicators and any other
information we've gathered to date with the researcher who will undertake
the project described below.  See also an annotated bibliography that we
compiled at Ipas:
http://www.ipas.org/publications/en/violence_against_women/sexual_violence_resource_list_en.pdf

For more information, please contact me:

Debbie Billings, PhD
Senior Associate, R&E
Ipas/ Ipas Mexico
debbieb at ipas.org.mx