[Svrilist] empirical research in on sexual violence in Bosnia

svrilist at mrc.ac.za svrilist at mrc.ac.za
Tue May 23 22:16:23 SAST 2006

Dear Charlotte watts,
  Our organization is a benefiaciary of the two WHO documents you posted on sexual violence.
  We have just concluded a KAP study on sexual violence in 4 Educational Institutions in northern Nigeria and we are now planning an extensive community study on sexual violence in the Region. The literature will be very handy for our research.
   We however, are experiencing fund constraints. We hope that some organizations could come to our assistance since we believe that the findings will break the culture of silence on GBV in this part of the world. Furthermore, intervention strategy is being planned for the next phase of the research. Again fund will be one vital limitation.

  Regards

  Professor IAO Ujah
  Executive Director/CEO
  International Centre for the Advancement of Reproductive Health (CIFARH)

svrilist at mrc.ac.za wrote:
      Dear Sorcha,
  In addition to what was suggested below, I would also recommend that you look at two documents providing recommendations on addressing ethical issues in conducting research in intimate partner violence, and on trafficking of women.

  Although you will not be aiming to directly interview women who have experienced violence, the issues discussed may be useful in helping you think through how to respond if someone that you interview does disclose abuse.

  http://www.who.int/gender/violence/womenfirtseng.pdf

  http://www.who.int/gender/documents/en/final%20recommendations%2023%20oct.pdf

  Good luck,
  Charlotte Watts

  Charlotte Watts Ph.D.
Head, Health Policy Unit
Senior Lecturer in Epidemiology and Health Policy
Health Policy Unit
Department of Public Health and Policy
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Keppel Street
London WC1E 7HT
UK
Tel: 00 44 207 927 2412
Fax: 00 44 207 637 5391
Skype: charlotte3010

>>> <svrilist at mrc.ac.za> 05/18/06 5:28 pm >>>

  I would recommend looking into Rebecca Campbell's excellent work on the impact of researching rape on the researcher (Emotionally Involved: the Impact of Researching Rape) and secondary victimization of victims instigated by care-providers and others.  Her innovative research employs an ecological model which situates the phenomenon of rape within multiple and concentric contexts of response.  Her work is highly informative-- theoretically and in practice--for the novice researcher as well as to those have made it part of their life's work.
Best wishes for pursuing your important work--seeking, speaking, documenting truth to power.
Heather Karjane   svrilist at mrc.ac.za wrote:   Dear all,   I am in the process of designing empirical methodology for my doctoral thesis which will involve a 4wk stay in Bosnia. I am evaluating international legal protections from sexual violence during armed conflicts.
I am intending to interview key professionals from therepeutic, medical, social work, NGO and legal backgrounds.
I am acutely aware that given the widespread nature of sexual violence that some of those professionals working with victims may themselves have been victimised.
I have worked with victims of sexual violence in the past but not in a research capacity.
Whilst the thesis does not rely on input from victims, (in fact my supervisors were adamnent that such a project wouldn't receive ethical approval at PhD level) I recognise that such input would inrich the research.   I was hoping that some of you might share your experiences of having conducted similar research and provide guidance in the design of suitable ethically sound methodology.   I look forward to hearing  from you soon.   Many thanks,   Sorcha Mc Kenna, B.A. (Hons), LLM
PhD Research Fellow
Transitional Justice Institute
Rm 21D60
Dalriada House
University of Ulster at Jordanstown
Newtownabbey
Co Antrim
BT36 OQB   Tel.    +44 (0) 2890 366694
Email. McKenna-S15 at ulster.ac.uk   _______________________________________________
Svrilist mailing list
Svrilist at mrc.ac.za
This e-mail and its contents are subject to the
South African Medical Research Council
e-mail legal notice available at http://www.mrc.ac.za/about/EmailLegalNotice.htm

--
e-mail legal notice available at http://www.mrc.ac.za/about/EmailLegalNotice.html

--
This e-mail and its contents are subject to the
South African Medical Research Council
e-mail legal notice available at http://www.mrc.ac.za/about/EmailLegalNotice.html

Ring'em or ping'em. Make  PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.