[Svrilist] Research on Genital Photography in Sexual Assault

Marg Darcy marg.darcy at rwh.org.au
Tue Sep 5 09:12:11 SAST 2006

Just a comment on Angela's comment that 'examiners are understandably
horrified that the decision doesn't lie with them'.

I am intrigued by this as surely the decision should lie with the
victim/survivor (or their guardian in the case of children) and any
discussion or policy making processes should be in the victim/survivor's
interests, rather than a decision by an examiner.  Determining the interests
of victim/survivors generally should come from a broad discussion canvassing
opinions from a range of people, including victim/survivors themselves, and
counselor/advocates who work with victim/survivors over a long period and
have an understanding of the long term trauma of sexual assault, not just
what happens at the time of examination.  Colposcopies and vaginal
ultrasounds, which I understand some states are considering or using, are
both highly invasive procedures, which many women find difficult in ordinary
circumstances, much less immediately after a sexual assault.

Marg D'Arcy

Program Manager

Cancer, CASA, Advocacy, Diversity and Social Support

Royal Women's Hospital

132 Grattan Street

Carlton  3053

 <mailto:marg.darcy at rwh.org.au> marg.darcy at rwh.org.au