[Svrilist] [Fwd: AW: SVRI - Research on Genital Photography in Sexual Assault]

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Wed Sep 6 08:13:25 SAST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	AW: SVRI - Research on Genital Photography in Sexual Assault
Date: 	Tue, 05 Sep 2006 17:33:09 +0200
From: 	Klopfstein Ursula <Ursula.Klopfstein at irm.unibe.ch>
To: 	Nancy.Gage-Lindner at HSM.hessen.de, svri at mrc.ac.za

Dear Colleagues,

The working group against violence on children and women from the Swiss
society on legal medicin is about to publishing a recommendation about
the examination of victims after sexual assaults and we agree with
Angela Williams, that NO genital Photos from victims should reach the
court nor the police or the Coroner (Untersuchungsrichter).

We (the forensic examiner) have to explain genital lesions very clear in
the written report, so the investigators (Police, coroner) can work
without a picture.

We note in the report that photos have been made and can, if necessary
be showed to the judge personally.

Practice: In Berne (Switzerland) we (Institut of forensic medicin) are
examining about 80 adult victims and 50 Children (every age) each year
after sexual assault. In almost every case we take pictures from the
genital region, especially from the introitus and the hymen, even when
there is no fresh lesion. The photos are taken with a digital camera.
Unfortunately we still don’t have a colposcopy with a camera; this is
one of my first wishes for Santa Clause!

For children it is never a problem when we take a photograph, because we
can show them the photo after the examination. For adult victims it is
sometimes shameful, the more it is important, that we can assure that
the picture will stay in our database. These are my personal impressions
and not results from a study.

If you need more information about our experiences pleas contact me again.

Sincerely Ursula Klopfstein

Ursula Klopfstein MD

Forensic Physician

Institut of Forensic Medicin at the University of Berne

Bühlstrasse 20

CH- 3012 Berne

+41(0)31 631 84 43 Büro direkt

+41(0)31 631 84 11 Zentrale