[Svrilist] Research on Genital Photography in Sexual Assault

Annie Lewis- O'Coonor annielo at bu.edu
Tue Sep 5 18:56:53 SAST 2006

esearch on Genital Photography in Sexual AssaultDear Colleagues

Timely discussion:)
Video-documentation should ALWAYS be done with consent...ALWAYS and that consent needs to be very clear.  I offer a few options:
1)  Video-document for the purposes of visualization and  asessment and diagnosis.  Then delete the pictures.  (This is such a wonderful tool for the clinician- I like to have this option instead of a dichotomous choice:)
2) Video-document for the purposes of visuslaization, assessment, diagnosis and retain copy for medical record.
This second option must be clearly spelled out that the medical record and pictures are supoenable.  While most pictures rarely end up in court, there is no guarantee.  In one area that has been video-docuementing children for 8 years only  2 times did pictures end up in court.

Annie Lewis-O'Connor PhD (c), MPH APRN
Pediatric and Ob-Gyn Nurse Practitioner
Boston Medical Center
Child Protection Team