[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 23 07 07

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Mon Jul 23 08:29:01 SAST 2007

Dear SVRI List Members

To follow is the SVRI Update which contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. Please email svri at mrc.ac.za if you would like us to include relevant sexual violence resources and materials in the SVRI Updates. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. Websites
II.  Online Resources and Publications
III.  Events
IV. Request from SVRI List Member:  Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse
V.  Funding Opportunities
VI.  Vacancies

I. Websites:

Child Health and Nutrition Research Initiative:  Child Health and Nutrition Research Initiative (CHNRI) has a newly designed web site which will be the start of a new online community for researchers, donors and policy makers involved in child health and nutrition research.  Visit them at:  www.chnri.org <http://www.chnri.org/>

Eldis Migration Guide topic: Trafficking in women: This section of the Eldis website provides you with links to resources on trafficking in women. Website:  http://www.eldis.org/go/topics/resource-guides/gender/trafficking

Human Trafficking Special Collection, VAWnet:  VAWnet has added a new Special Collection on Human Trafficking, which aims to illuminate different forms of, and perspectives on, human trafficking and to provide relevant resources to help guide more informed and critical advocacy, research, and thought. Website URL:  http://new.vawnet.org/category/index_pages.php?category_id=683

Accessing Safety Initiative:  The Accessing Safety Initiative, established in 2005 by the Vera Institute of Justice and the U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women, provides technical assistance and training to help organizations and communities meet the needs of women with disabilities and Deaf women who have experienced domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking. [Source: VAWnet :E-Newsletter (July/August 2007)]  Access their newly launched website at: http://www.accessingsafety.org/

Prevention Connection Wiki Project:  Contribute to the PreventConnect Wiki to read about state-of-the-art primary prevention of violence against women.  Prevention Connection Wiki is a guide to explore important issues in developing and sustaining comprehensive primary prevention efforts. [Source: VAWnet :E-Newsletter (July/August 2007)]  Website: http://www.preventconnect.org/display/displaySection.cfm?sectionID=241

II.  Online Resources and Publications:

Bottom of the Ladder, Exploitation and Abuse of Girl Domestic Workers in Guinea, Human Rights Watch, 2007:  Domestic work is the largest employment category for children worldwide. In Guinea tens of thousands of girls work as child domestic workers. While other children in the family often attend school, these girls spend their childhood and adolescence doing "women's" house work, such as cleaning, washing and taking care of small children. They are often shunned, insulted and mocked. They may also suffer beatings, sexual harassment and rape.   Also available in French. Online at: http://hrw.org/reports/2007/guinea0607/

POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE? Compulsory HIV testing of alleged sexual offenders, Dr. Stefanie Roehrs SA Crime Quarterly No 20, June 2007:  This article describes the development and content of the provisions on compulsory HIV testing in South Africa and examines their practical utility against the background of the alleged offender's constitutional rights. It is argued that these provisions are unlikely to provide the relief sought by victims, and may result in an unconstitutional limitation of an accused's right to privacy.  Read more:  http://www.issafrica.org/dynamic/administration/file_manager/file_links/CQ20ROEHRS.PDF?link_id=3&slink_id=4732&link_type=12&slink_type=13&tmpl_id=3

Wedding Children to AIDS, Reis, R, Business Response, 2007:  Poverty, tradition and a stunning policy blind spot make millions of married girls vulnerable to disease and abuse. Full report: http://www.businessfightsaids.org/atf/cf/%7B4AF0E874-E9A0-4D86-BA28-96C3BC31180A%7D/05%20-%20Wedding%20Children%20to%20AIDS%20-%20Spring%202007%20Business%20Response%20Magazine.pdf

Child maltreatment and violent delinquency: disentangling main effects and subgroup effects.  Mersky JP, Reynolds AJ. Child Maltreat; 12(3): 246-58. 2007:  This study employs data from the Chicago Longitudinal Study (CLS) to investigate the relation between child maltreatment and the incidence and frequency of violent delinquency. The authors also examine if effects vary between physically abused and neglected children and if select indicators (sex, cumulative risk, public aid receipt) moderate the connections between maltreatment and violent outcomes. [Source: SafetyLit: 23 July 2007]  Full abstract:  http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_66006_24

Cognition, emotion, and neurobiological development: mediating the relation between maltreatment and aggression. Lee V, Hoaken PN. Child Maltreat; 12(3): 281-98. 2007: Child maltreatment has been consistently linked to aggression, yet there have been few attempts to conceptualize precisely how maltreatment influences the development of aggression. This review proposes that biases in cognitive, emotional, and neurobiological development mediate the relation between childhood maltreatment and the development of aggression.  [Source: SafetyLit: 23 July 2007]  Full abstract:  http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_66003_24

Early physical abuse and later violent delinquency: a prospective longitudinal study. Lansford JE, Miller-Johnson S, Berlin LJ, Dodge KA, Bates JE, Pettit GS. Child Maltreat; 12(3): 233-45. 2007: In this prospective longitudinal study of 574 children followed from age 5 to age 21, the authors examine the links between early physical abuse and violent delinquency and other socially relevant outcomes during late adolescence or early adulthood and the extent to which the child's race and gender moderate these links.  [Source: SafetyLit: 23 July 2007]  Full abstract:  http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_66000_24

Prevention of child sexual abuse in China: Knowledge, attitudes, and communication practices of parents of elementary school children. Chen J, Dunne MP, Han P. Child Abuse Neglect 2007:  Active involvement by parents may contribute substantially to the success of school-based programs to prevent child sexual abuse (CSA). In China, little is known about parental understanding of CSA. This study investigated Chinese parents' knowledge, attitudes, and communication practices with their children about CSA. [Source: SafetyLit: 23 July 2007]  Full abstract:  http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_66009_23

Identifying intimate partner violence: comparing the Chinese abuse assessment screen with the Chinese revised conflict tactics scales. Tiwari A, Fong D, Chan K, Leung W, Parker B, Ho P. BJOG 2007:  To assess the measurement accuracy and the utility of the Chinese Abuse Assessment Screen (AAS). Design A cross-sectional study. Setting An antenatal clinic of a public hospital and a community centre in Hong Kong. [Source: SafetyLit: 23 July 2007]  Full abstract:  http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_65975_20

Measuring Japanese mothers' perception of child abuse: development of a Japanese version of the child abuse blame scale - physical abuse (CABS-PA-J). Fujimoto M, Hirose T, Nakayama T, Okawa H, Takigawa I. Biopsychosoc Med; 1(1): 14. 2007:  The Child Abuse Blame Scale-Physical Abuse (CABS-PA) was translated into Japanese, and subscale items were modified according to Japanese cultural context by the authors. The aim of the current study was to investigate the appropriateness, reliability, and clinical applicability of the CABS-PA Japanese version (CABS-PA-J). [Source: SafetyLit: 23 July 2007]  Full abstract:  http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_65913_20

The murder of children by fathers in the context of child abuse. Cavanagh K, Dobash RE, Dobash RP. Child Abuse Neglect 2007:  This study examined the backgrounds of fathers who fatally abuse their children and the contexts within which these homicides occur. The type of relationship between victim, perpetrator, and the victim's mother was a particular interest.  [Source: SafetyLit: 23 July 2007]  Full abstract:   http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_65997_23

Routine activities and sexual assault: an analysis of individual- and school-level factors.  Cass AI. Violence Vict; 22(3): 350-66. 2007:  The efficacy of routine activities theory is examined to explain sexual assault on the college campus. Although many research studies have utilized routine activities theory to predict sexual assault using individual-level factors, little is known about the effect of school-level factors on a student's risk of sexual assault. [Source: SafetyLit: 23 July 2007]  Full abstract:   http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_65902_25

Sexual and physical abuse history and adult sexual risk behaviors: Relationships among women and potential mediators, Heather Littleton, Carmen Radecki Breitkopf and Abbey Berenson, Child Abuse & Neglect, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 12 July 2007:  The current study examined the associations between a history of physical or sexual abuse and recent sexual risk behaviors among adult women. Additionally, this study evaluated binge drinking and depressive symptomatology as potential mediators of any relationships between abuse history and sexual risk behaviors. Abstract online at:  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V7N-4P5RVW3-1&_user=1373567&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000052478&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1373567&md5=cc1f2503ddecf58f0753b547c1a7626d

Advancing the Nation's Health: A Guide to Public Health Research Needs, 2006-2015 by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2006: This guide outlines priority public health research areas to be addressed by CDC and partners in response to needs and events, and identifies injury and violence prevention interventions, risk and protective factors, and connections between multiple forms of violence.  Access link online at:  http://new.vawnet.org/category/Documents.php?docid=1035

Implications of U.S. policy restrictions on programs aimed at commercial sex workers and victims of trafficking worldwide, Center for Health and Gender Equity, 2005:  This policy brief examines the implications of the United States Global AIDS Act, which bars the use of federal funds to promote, support or advocate the legalisation or practice of prostitution. The brief outlines how these policies and restrictions have numerous adverse implications for effective HIV prevention and the promotion of human rights and public health. [Source: Eldis HIV AIDS Reporter: trafficking and sex work] Available online at: http://www.genderhealth.org/pubs/ProstitutionOathImplications.pdf

>From the front line: the impact of social, legal and judicial impediments to sexual health promotion, and HIV and AIDS related care and support for males who have sex with males in Bangladesh and India, S. Khan, A. Bondyopadhyay, K. Mulji, Naz Foundation International 2005:  This study from the Naz Foundation International (NFI) reports on the high levels of sexual violence, marginalisation and stigma experienced by males who have sex with males (MSM) in India and Bangladesh. The report finds that the primary cause of this violence is cultural gender norms rather than sexual identity, since those MSM who identify as Kothi (feminine men) are most at risk. [Source: Eldis HIV AIDS Reporter: trafficking and sex work] Available online at: http://www.nfi.net/NFI%20Publications/Reports/From%20the%20fount%20line%20-%20Final.pdf

A Tradition No Longer: Rethinking Female Circumcision in Africa, Louisa Kasdon, World & I, November-December 2005:   Community-wide stands against the dangerous practice of female genital mutilation are growing across much of Africa, thanks to the innovative grassroots efforts of an NGO in Senegal. Read full article online: http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/global_health/pop/techareas/fgc/tostan.html

Study on Freedom of Religion or Belief and the Status of Women From the Viewpoint of Religion and Traditions (E/CN.4/2002/73/Add.2). Mr. Abdelfattah Amor, Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, UN 2002:  In many countries forms of discrimination against women are based on or attributed to religion and culture and may be tolerated or even legalized.  International human rights instruments almost all assume gender equality and proscribe discrimination. However, women's rights to some individual freedoms such as freedom of religion or belief may not have received sufficient attention when set against the collective manifestations of such individual freedoms as those of religion or belief.  A basic and sensitive problem arises where the fundamental, universal rights of women are claimed by religious communities to be in conflict with what are seen as their religious obligations, which in turn are difficult to differentiate from the cultural or ethnic dimension. The right to difference and cultural specificity implied by freedom of religion or belief is to some degree incompatible with universal rights, especially those of women, who are often the victims of a certain view of religious freedom, particularly in situations of conflict and identity crisis.  This study addresses these apparent contradictions by seeking to define religion, to see the relationship of religion to culture, and of universality to cultural specificities. Download online at:  http://www.wunrn.com/un_study/un_study.htm

III.  Events

16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence, November 25 - December 10, 2007 , Demanding Implementation, Challenging Obstacles: End Violence Against Women: In collaboration with others, the 2007 16 Days Campaign seeks to help dismantle obstacles and overcome challenges posed by social attitudes and policies that continue to condone and perpetuate gender based violence. Website: http://www.cwgl.rutgers.edu/16days/home.html

CEDAW 39th Session:  The Committee will hold its thirty-ninth session at United Nations Headquarters in New York from 23 July - 10 August 2007.  Website:  http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/cedaw/39sess.htm

Marie Stopes International, IPAS and Abortion Rights: Global Safe Abortion Conference October 23-24, 2007 London, UK:  The Marie Stopes International Global Conference on Safe Abortion, in association with Ipas and Abortion Rights, will confront both international and national issues associated with abortion, focusing on rights, access, advocacy and funding. For further information (including preliminary agenda), please visit http://www.globalsafeabortion.org/

Call for Applications and Participation: APC-Africa-Women and Women's Net: Digital Storytelling, August 25-29, 2007:  APC-Africa-Women, in partnership with Women'sNet, invite you to submit an application to participate in a digital storytelling workshop. This workshop is aimed at women who document (as content developers, librarians, archivists, journalists, mediators, translators, information activists etc.) the lives of women affected by violence in Africa. For further information (including application form), please visit http://www.apcwomen.org/eng_index.shtml

International Campaign on Women Human Rights Defenders (ICWHRD) - Global:  This is an international initiative for the recognition and protection of human rights defenders, particularly women, who are activists advocating for the realisation of human rights for all. Organised as a coalition of women's rights and human rights organisations, ICWHRD is primarily oriented around a series of activities each year - under the broad theme "Defending Women Defending Rights" - between November 25 (International Day for Elimination of Violence Against Women) and December 18 (International Day of Migrants) to symbolise both women's history of activism and resistance, as well as the involvement of women migrants' rights activists in this cross-sectoral initiative. [Source: WUNRN] More details:  http://www.comminit.com/experiences/pds112004/experiences-2791.html

For additional information on conferences and meetings visit:  http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm

IV. Request from SVRI List Member:  Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse

Dear SVRI,

My name is Emily Elder, and I am the Ethno-cultural Outreach and Community Development Worker at Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse (in Alberta, Canada).

General Information about Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse (CCASA):  CCASA is the primary sexual violence service in the Calgary area (of Alberta, in Western Canada). Our belief is that sexual abuse and sexual assault are acts of violence that affect all individuals, families, and communities. Our mission is to build community awareness of sexual abuse and sexual assault and work to reduce the related trauma. Our vision is of a community without any form of sexual abuse and sexual assault. We operate from feminist principles and philosophy. Website: www.calgarycasa.com

CCASA is committed to and believes that addressing sexual violence is a responsibility that rests with all members of 'communities' in our society. The name is selected to reflect both the responsibility and desire of the agency to work in partnership with individuals and groups to achieve our vision to build and promote a community without any form of sexual abuse and sexual assault.

CCASA recognizes that sexual violence occurs in all communities and that all people are vulnerable regardless of age, race, class, sexual orientation, religion or physical appearance, however we recognize that not all services are accessible to those affected. It is with this knowledge that CCASA reaches out to your organization with the goal of sharing ideas and strategies to increase accessibility for clients/survivors from all communities.

Our services demonstrate this lack of accessibility: although Canada is a multicultural, multiethnic country and we know that sexual violence occurs in every community, our clients are mostly white, heterosexual women survivors of sexual assault and sexual abuse.

I have recently been hired in order to do community development and outreach with the explicit goal of bridging the gap between our organization and the ethnocultural communities we strive to serve. This letter is part of my research into existing initiatives and strategies, so as to avoid "re-inventing the wheel."

I have identified sexual assault and rape crisis centres from the United States and a few selected former Commonwealth countries (South Africa, New Zealand and Australia) to ask about any tips or strategies for reaching marginalized/isolated ethnic communities, and for reducing the barriers those communities might have to accessing sexual assault/rape crisis support services.

Below are the points for which I hope your organization can provide answers. Note that this information will be used internally to CCASA and will not be included in public presentations without the consent of your organization.

i) How do different groups view this issue in their communities (in your experience, in your country)?
ii) Are there any barriers to service accessibility that your organization has noted (internally or generally)?
iii) If so, what (if any) strategies has your organization employed to address these barriers?
iv) Have these strategies have been effective? Within what communities?
v) Are there any further resources or organizations we could contact for more information or support on this issue?

Please distribute this letter to any of your member or associated organizations that might have some pertinent information or initiatives. If we can be of any assistance to you, please don't hesitate to contact us at the email addresses or phone numbers below. If you would like more about the services we offer and our philosophical approach, please don't hesitate to ask. My email is eelder at calgarycasa.com and my phone number is 1-403-237-6905 ext. 224.

Thank you for your time and for sharing this valuable information.

Sincerely,
Emily Elder
Sexual Assault Worker - Community Outreach and Development - Ethnocultural Focus
www.calgarycasa.com

Please send responses direct to Emily at:  eelder at calgarycasa.com

V.  Funding Opportunities:

United Nations Voluntary Trust Fund on Contemporary Forms of Slavery/Fonds de contributions volontaires des Nations Unies pour la lutte contre les formes contemporaines d'esclavage/Fondo fiduciario de contribuciones voluntarias de las Naciones Unidas para luchar contra las formas contemporáneas de la esclavitud:  The fund was established by the General Assembly in 199, with the purpose of assisting non-governmental organizations dealing with contemporary forms of slavery to participate in the deliberations of the Working Group on Contemporary Forms of Slavery and to provide, through established channels of assistance, humanitarian, legal and financial aid to individuals who are victims of such violations. Current Applications should be completed and submitted by September 15, 2007.  Read more:  http://www.ohchr.org/english/about/funds/slavery/beneficiaries.htm

For more funding links visit:  http://www.svri.org/funding.htm

VI.  Vacancies:

Deputy Executive Secretary / pan-African Secretariat / Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) / Dakar, Senegal / Closing date for applications 31 October 2007 / More details: http://www.codesria.org/Links/vacancies/vacancy_deputy_executive_eng07'.pdf

Senior Programme Officer (Training, Grants and Fellowships) and Programme Officer (Training, Grants and Fellowships) / Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) / Dakar, Senegal / Closing date for applications 31 August 2007 / More details: http://www.codesria.org/Links/vacancies/prog_officer_training_eng07.pdf

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>  or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za

Please circulate these resources widely.

--
believed to be clean.

--
believed to be clean.