[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 08 04 08

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Tue Apr 8 09:28:10 SAST 2008

Dear SVRI List Members

To follow is the SVRI Update which contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. Please email svri at mrc.ac.za if you would like us to include relevant sexual violence resources and materials in the SVRI Updates. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. Webpages/Sites
II. Online Publications
III. Journal Articles
IV. Events
V. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities
VI. Vacancies
VII. SVRI Online Discussion Forum

I. Webpages/Sites

Sexual and Gender-based Violence in East and Southern Africa, Population Council: Through various partnerships, the Population Council has undertaken substantive research and programming on sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) in a number of countries in Africa. Webpage: http://www.popcouncil.org/projects/RH_ESASexGenderBasedViolence.html

Daphne Toolkit: Here you will find materials, lessons and ideas from 412 projects financed by the European Commission's Daphne Programme between 1997 and 2005, with related links and resources. Website: http://www.daphne-toolkit.org/artfiche.asp?art=0000002

Refugee Law Project (RLP): The RLP was established in November 1999 as an autonomous project within the Faculty of Law of Makerere University in Uganda, with the aim of protecting and promoting refugees' rights. Webpage: http://www.refugeelawproject.org/about/index.htm

II. Online Publications and Resources

Sexual and gender based violence in Africa: Literature review, Population Council, 2008: This literature review is intended to inform partners in the Population Council-coordinated regional network that aims to develop a multi-sectoral and comprehensive response to SGBV in Eastern, Central and Southern Africa. Full report: http://www.popcouncil.org/pdfs/AfricaSGBV_LitReview.pdf

Sexual and gender based violence in Africa: key issues for programming, Population Council, 2008: This document summarises key issues for programming highlighted by the abovementioned literature review on sexual and gender based violence in Africa. Brochure available online at: http://www.popcouncil.org/pdfs/AfricaSGBV_KeyIssues.pdf

Fact Sheet No.23, Harmful Traditional Practices Affecting the Health of Women and Children, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, 2008: As early as the 1950s, United Nations specialized agencies and human rights bodies began considering the question of harmful traditional practices affecting the health of women, in particular female genital mutilation. But these issues have not received consistent broader consideration, and action to bring about any substantial change has been slow or superficial. [Source: WUNRN] Read more on this issue online at: http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/FactSheet23en.pdf

Date Rape Cases Among Young Women and the Development of Good Practices for Support and Prevention, Country Research Report Cyprus. Mediterranean Institute of Gender Studies, funded by the Daphne II Programme of the European Commission, 2008:  This study reveals that unwanted sexual experiences, violence, sexual violence and date rape exist among young women's (18-24 years old) relationships in Cyprus. Full report: http://www.medinstgenderstudies.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/national-findings-report_cyprus.pdf

Date Rape Cases Among Young Women and the Development of Good Practices for Support and Prevention, Country Research Report Greece. Institute of Equality. Funded by the Daphne II Programme of the European Commission, 2008: This research study aims to investigate the incidence of date rape among female students (18-24 years old) explore their attitudes and dating experiences; and the level of awareness among stakeholders and the female students. Full report: http://www.medinstgenderstudies.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/national-findings-report_greece.pdf

Date Rape Cases Among Young Women and the Development of Good Practices for Support and Prevention, Frances Camilleri-Cassar and Jacqueline Azzopardi, Institute of Forensic Studies, University of Malta funded by the Daphne II Programme of the European Commission, Country Research Report Malta, 2008: The study suggests that while women in Malta have achieved some progress in terms of rights, there persists a gulf between Malta's proclaimed gender equality and women's experience of a lived reality of strong cultural roles and male dominance: while sexual aggression is an unknown phenomenon in Malta, date rape it is alive and well and especially prevalent in young people's relationships. Full report: http://www.medinstgenderstudies.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/national-findings-report_malta.pdf

Date Rape Cases Among Young Women and the Development of Good Practices for Support and Prevention, Jurgita Peciuriene Women's Issues Information Centre funded by the Daphne II Programme of the European Commission, Country Research Report Lithuania, 2008: This is a quantitative and qualitative study. 394 questionnaires were answered at universities and colleges, based in three major cities of Lithuania: Vilnius, Kaunas and Klaipeda. 2 Focus groups were carried out in Vilnius and 8 interviews of relevant institutional representatives were interviewed in Vilnius, Klaipeda and Kaunas. Full report: http://www.medinstgenderstudies.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/national-findings-report_lithuania.pdf

Date Rape Cases Among Young Women and the Development of Good Practices for Support and Prevention, Coalition for Gender Equality, funded by the Daphne II Programme of the European Commission, Country Research Report Latvia, 2008: The study suggests that date rape it is alive, but is an unknown concept for young girls and women in the age group and among relevant authorities. Full report: http://www.medinstgenderstudies.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/national-findings-report_latvia.pdf

Defending Women - Defending The Rights Of A Nation: A Preliminary Report on Political Violence Against Members of Women of Zimbabwe Arise - WOZA - 2007: This interim report reflects some of the initial findings of a research study of the violence experienced by WOZA members at the hands of state agents in Zimbabwe. [Source: WUNRN] Full report: http://wozazimbabwe.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/preliminary-report-political-violence-against-woza-women.pdf

'Giving Out their Daughters for their Survival': Refugee Self-reliance, 'Vulnerability', and the Paradox of Early Marriage, Refuge Law Project, April 2007: To understand why so many refugees engage in early marriages-illegal under Ugandan and international law and widely recognised amongst refugees as harmful-this report argues that the practice must be viewed in the context of restricted freedom of movement in the settlements, which limits the majority of encamped refugees to subsistence farming, and affords them little or no opportunity to escape poverty and physical insecurity. [Source: Siyanda Update: Young People and Children] Full report online at: http://www.refugeelawproject.org/resources/papers/workingpapers/RLP.WP20.pdf

The Program H Manual Series (in English, Spanish and Portuguese), Instituto Promundo, January 2004: Program H stimulates young men to question traditional masculine gender norms. It promotes discussion and reflection about both the 'costs' of traditional versions of masculinity for both men and women, and the advantages of gender equitable behaviours, such as better care of men's own health. Program H has developed 5 training manuals which aim to support young men to question traditional gender norms. [Source: Siyanda Update: Young People and Children] Manuals are available in: English: http://www.promundo.org.br/396?locale=en_US; Spanish: http://www.promundo.org.br/396?locale=es; and Portuguese: http://www.promundo.org.br/396?locale=pt_BR

For more country specific resources on sexual violence visit our country pages:  http://www.svri.org/countries.htm

III. Journal Articles

"Prevalence of female genital cutting among Egyptian girls." Tag-Eldin, M. A., Gadallah, M. A.; Bulletin of the World Health Organization (BLT) V 86(N 4). 2008: The aim of this study is to measure the prevalence of FGC among schoolgirls in Egypt. [Source: RAISE Literature Review] Full report: http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/86/4/07-042093.pdf

A Media Campaign Prevention Program for Child Sexual Abuse: Community Members' Perspectives. Self-Brown S, Rheingold AA, Campbell C, de Arellano MA. J Interpers Violence 2008: This study examines the face validity and feasibility of materials included in a multimedia child sexual abuse (CSA) prevention campaign. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_86190_20

Acculturation, Partner Violence, and Psychological Distress in Refugee Women From Somalia. Nilsson JE, Brown C, Russell EB, Khamphakdy-Brown S. J Interpers Violence 2008: This study examined the relations among acculturation, domestic violence, and mental health in 62 married refugee women from Somalia. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85577_20

Avoidant coping and PTSD symptoms related to domestic violence exposure: A longitudinal study. Krause ED, Kaltman S, Goodman LA, Dutton MA. J Traum Stress; 21(1): 83-90. 2008: The impact of avoidant coping on level of PTSD symptoms over 1 year was examined among 262 women exposed to intimate partner violence (IPV) within the past month. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85366_20

Child Maltreatment Among Immigrant Chinese Families: Characteristics and Patterns of Placement. Rhee S, Chang J, Weaver D, Wong D. Child Maltreat 2008: This study examined the characteristics of child abuse among immigrant Chinese families in Los Angeles.  [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_86027_20

Childhood maltreatment and early alcohol use among high-risk adolescents. Hamburger ME, Leeb RT, Swahn MH. J Stud Alcohol; 69(2): 291-5. 2008: The current study examines the associations between early child maltreatment and (1) preteen alcohol-use initiation and (2) heavy episodic drinking among students in a large study of adolescents. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85258_20

Depression and termination of pregnancy (induced abortion) in a national cohort of young Australian women: the confounding effect of women's experience of violence. Taft AJ, Watson LF. BMC Public Health; 8(1):75. 2008: The study objective was to examine the associations with depression of women's experience of violence, pregnancy termination, births and socio-demographic characteristics, among a population-based sample of young Australian women. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85365_20

Descriptive epidemiology of intimate partner aggression in Ukraine. O'Leary KD, Tintle N, Bromet EJ, Gluzman SF. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2008: Using data from the World Mental Health (WMH) survey in Ukraine, the first population-based findings on the descriptive epidemiology of partner aggression among married adults is presented. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_86080_20

Differences in Female and Male Victims and Perpetrators of Partner Violence With Respect to WEB Scores. Houry D, Rhodes KV, Kemball RS, Click L, Cerulli C, McNutt LA, Kaslow NJ. J Interpers Violence 2008: The objective of this research was to compare differences in women and men within each Intimate Partner Violence status category (victim, perpetrator, and both) with respect to levels of battering as defined by their scores on the Women's Experience With Battering Scale, which asks gender-neutral questions about the abuse of power and control and fear in an intimate relationship. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85165_20

Female Sex Offenders: Exploring Issues of Personality, Trauma, and Cognitive Distortions. Strickland SM. J Interpers Violence 2008: Using a correlational design and three valid instruments, female sexual offenders and a matched group of female nonsexual offenders are compared in the areas of personality disorders, chemical dependency, childhood trauma, sexual trauma, emotional neediness, cognitive distortions, and social competence. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85154_20

>From safe sanctuaries to strong communities: the role of communities of faith in child protection. Melton GB, Anderson D. Fam Community Health; 31(2):173-85. 2008: In one such initiative, multiple indicators show that, even in an area dominated by theologically conservative churches, churches have been the sector most heavily engaged in protective action to strengthen families and thereby to prevent harm to children. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_86022_20

Intersection of Child Abuse and Children's Exposure to Domestic Violence. Herrenkohl TI, Sousa C, Tajima EA, Herrenkohl RC, Moylan CA. Trauma Violence Abuse 2008: This review addresses research on the overlap in physical child abuse and domestic violence, the prediction of child outcomes, and resilience in children exposed to family violence. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85372_20

Intimate Partner Violence and Miscarriage: Examination of the Role of Physical and Psychological Abuse and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Morland LA, Leskin GA, Block CR, Campbell JC, Friedman MJ. J Interpers Violence 2008: Women who experience physical violence and psychological abuse during pregnancy may be at greater risk for miscarriage. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85159_20

Intimate partner violence and reproductive health of women in Kenya. Emenike E, Lawoko S, Dalal K. Int Nurs Rev; 55(1): 97-102. 2008: The current work describes the association between IPV and reproductive health of women in Kenya using the Demographic and Health Survey of 2003. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85394_20

Risk factors for intimate partner violence against women in St. Petersburg, Russia. Stickley A, Timofeeva I, Sparén P. Violence Against Women; 14(4):483-95. 2008: This exploratory study examines which risk factors are associated with intimate partner violence against women in St. Petersburg, Russia. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_86081_20

Strong communities for children: a community-wide approach to prevention of child abuse and neglect. Kimbrough-Melton RJ, Campbell D. Fam Community Health; 31(2):100-12. 2008: Using a public health approach, Strong Communities blends research about the causes and correlates of child abuse and neglect with public health concepts of community-wide prevention and intervention. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_86025_20

Testing Telephone and Web Surveys for Studying Men's Sexual Assault Perpetration Behaviors. Dinitto DM, Busch-Armendariz NB, Bender K, Woo H, Tackett-Gibson M, Dyer J. J Interpers Violence 2008: Contrary to expectations, telephone respondents reported a wider range of sexual assault behaviors. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85148_20

The fathering of violent men: constriction and yearning. Perel G, Peled E. Violence Against Women; 14(4):457-82. 2008: The study presented in this research note aims to expand our understanding of the experience of fathering for men who are violent toward their partners. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_86082_20

Update on child maltreatment. Newton AW, Vandeven AM. Curr Opin Pediatr; 20(2): 205-212. 2008: The authors discuss the significance of studies published over the previous year regarding assessment and treatment and prevention of child maltreatment, including physical and sexual abuse, inflicted traumatic brain injury, and child neglect. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85725_20

Violence against children and adolescents: an analysis of four years of complaints filed at the child protection agency in Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo State, Brazil. Bazon MR. Cad Saude Publica; 24(2):323-32. 2008: The objective of the current study was to describe such situations qualitatively and quantitatively, based on data from the Child Protection Agency in Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo State, Brazil, for the years 2000 to 2003, aiming to discuss the classification of complaints filed at the agency according to a conceptual framework for violent acts committed against children and adolescents that highlights the structural, criminal, and domestic forms. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85392_20

Violence against women and family medicine. Venegas Ochoa U, Muñoz Pérez E, Navarro Solares A, Nuño Gutiérrez BL, Navarro Núñez C. Ginecol Obstet Mex; 75(7): 373-8. 2007: The aim of this study was to asses the level of knowledge on the norms and procedures for the attention of domestic violence in family practitioners workers of the Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social in Colima, Mexico. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85373_20

For additional issues related resources and articles on sexual violence visit our issues pages:  http://www.svri.org/issues.htm

IV. Events

"He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not: Men's Role in Ending Violence Against Women" April 10-11, 2008, PLU University Center, Tacoma, Washington, United States. Pacific Lutheran University Men Against Violence: The goal of the conference is to provide a NW regional conference that explores men's role in ending violence against women. More information online at: http://www.plu.edu/~mav/mav-conference/home.html

Series of seven documentaries on gender based violence entitled, "Women on the Frontline" on BBC World, to be broadcast on Fridays April 18 - May 30, 2008 at 7:30 GMT. [Source: IBP Global Community eNewsletter: April 7, 2008]

Visit our events / calendar pages for event information:  http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm

V. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities

Open Society Institute - Soros Foundation: In 2007, the Women's Program, in collaboration with national and regional Soros foundations, and regional directors' offices, identified groups in the Middle East/North Africa, Africa, Latin America, and Asia to fund, with the focus on gender and transitional justice as well as multiple discriminations against women. To build upon this work, from 2008 to 2010, the International Women's Program will continue to support cutting-edge strategic women's rights initiatives in countries where OSI works, in addition to awarding grants to key partners globally and ongoing institutional partners in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. [Source: WUNRN] Read more: http://www.soros.org/initiatives/women/focus_areas/strategic/

Daphne III Calls for Proposals: On 20 June 2007, the European Parliament and the Council adopted Decision No. 779/2007/EC establishing, for the period 2007-2013, a specific programme to prevent and combat violence against children, young people and women and to protect victims and groups at risk (Daphne III programme) as part of the General Programme "Fundamental Rights and Justice". The aforesaid decision was published in the Official Journal L 173 of 3 July 2007. Within the framework of the Daphne III programme, the Commission has launched the following two calls for proposals. Visit the following webpage for more information: http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/funding/2004_2007/daphne/funding_daphne_en.htm

For more funding links visit: http://www.svri.org/funding.htm

VI. Vacancies

Country Director, Mozambique / FHI International / position open until filled / more information online at: http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/Employment/International/res_JobPosting.htm?id=1648

Country Director, Bangladesh / FHI International / position open until filled / more information online at: http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/Employment/International/res_JobPosting.htm?id=1713

Deputy Director, India / FHI International / position open until filled / more information online at: http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/Employment/International/res_JobPosting.htm?id=1726

Director, SAMARTH Project, India / FHI International / position open until filled / more information online at: http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/Employment/International/res_JobPosting.htm?id=1735

Research Associate I / Behavioral and Biomedical Research / Research Triangle Park, North Carolina / position open until filled / more information online at: http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/Employment/NC/res_JobPosting.htm?id=1705

Research Associate I / Behavioral and Biomedical Research / Research Triangle Park, North Carolina / position open until filled / more information online at: http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/Employment/NC/res_JobPosting.htm?id=1710

Research Associate I / Behavioral and Biomedical Research / Research Triangle Park, North Carolina / position open until filled / more information online at: http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/Employment/NC/res_JobPosting.htm?id=1711

Senior Family Planning Advisor / Global Operations / Zimbabwe / position open until filled / more information online at: http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/Employment/International/res_JobPosting.htm?id=1634

Intern, / Applied Research Department / Research Triangle Park, North Carolina / position open until filled / more information online at: http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/Employment/NC/res_JobPosting.htm?id=1718

Intern, / Applied Research Department / Research Triangle Park, North Carolina / position open until filled / more information online at: http://www.fhi.org/en/AboutFHI/Employment/NC/res_JobPosting.htm?id=1736

VII. SVRI Online Discussion Forum: current discussions

The SVRI has created an online discussion forum which provides you with a platform to interact online with other members of the SVRI who have registered with the Forum. Five discussions are currently taking place on the Forum.

* Strengthening sexual violence advocacy initiatives through research
* Initiation Schools and Violence
* What Campus Rape Crisis? Mary Koss's Response
* Question about medical exams for survivors of trauma
* Medico-legal care for sexual assault survivors

To view these discussions, comment or create your own please visit: http://www.svri.org/activities.htm#svri

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>  or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za

Please circulate these resources widely.