[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 13 02 08

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Wed Feb 13 08:59:46 SAST 2008

Dear SVRI List Members

To follow is the SVRI Update which contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. Please email svri at mrc.ac.za if you would like us to include relevant sexual violence resources and materials in the SVRI Updates. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. Websites
II. Online Publications
III. Journal Articles
IV. Events
VI. Funding Links / Research Opportunities
VI. Advocacy Materials
VII. Vacancies

I. Websites

Screening tool for domestic violence: This webpage created by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologist provides you with a domestic violence screening tool. Webpage: http://www.acog.org/departments/dept_notice.cfm?recno=17&bulletin=585

Odhikar:  Odhikar is a Bangladesh based human rights organisation.  It aims to raise the awareness of human rights and its various abuses and to create a vibrant democratic system through election monitoring. The organisation also performs policy advocacy to address the current human rights situation. Website: http://www.odhikar.org/about.html

Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences: The United Nations Commission on Human Rights in resolution 1994/45, adopted on 4 March 1994 , decided to appoint a Special Rapporteur on violence against women, including its causes and consequences. Read more:  http://www2.ohchr.org/english/issues/women/rapporteur/

II. Online Publications

Getting it Done and Doing it Right, A Global Study on the United Nations-led, Monitoring & Reporting Mechanism on Children and Armed Conflict, Watchlist, 2008:  The following global study documents and analyzes lessons learned, challenges, and successes in implementing the United Nations-led Monitoring and Reporting Mechanism on Children and Armed Conflict - a mechanism to monitor and report on violations of children's rights in situations of armed conflict. Full report: http://www.watchlist.org/reports/pdf/global-v8-web.pdf

2008: A Year For Action Responses to Sexual and Gender-Based Violence in Conflict, 1325 PeaceWomen E-News, Issue #97, January 2008:  This newsletter focuses on responses to sexual violence in conflict settings.  Online at: http://www.peacewomen.org/news/1325News/Issue97.html

NGO Report on Violence Against Women in Burundi. Executive Summary, CEDAW, World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), Burundian Christians' Association for the Abolition of Torture (ACAT), January 2008: The aim of the report is to show the difficulties faced by thousands of women in Burundi due to the increase of violence against women. [Source: GAIN] (Also available in French) Online link: http://www.omct.org/pdf/VAW/2008/CEDAW40th_Rep_alt_Burundi_eng_summary.pdf

Intimate partner violence and sexual violence victimization assessment instruments for use in healthcare settings. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2007: This document is a compilation of existing tools for assessing intimate partner violence (IPV) and sexual violence (SV) victimization (defined below) in clinical/healthcare settings. This document should serve as a guide to aid in the selection of assessment instruments for use in health care settings to identify victims requiring additional services. The identification can help practitioners make appropriate referrals for both victims and perpetrators. Full report: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/pub-res/images/ipvandsvscreening.pdf

Girls in fighting forces: moving beyond victimhood. Why include girls in post-conflict programmes? M. Denov, Capacity Development Web Site, Canadian International Development Agency , 2007: This paper examines the experiences of girls in armed conflict. Focusing on the extent to which girls are marginalised during and following armed conflict, it traces the perspectives of girls as victims, and resisters of violence in Africa. [Source: Eldis] Full document: http://www.crin.org/docs/CIDA_Beyond_forces.pdf

Integration of the Human Rights of Women and the Gender Perspective:  Violence against Women. The Due Diligence Standard as a Tool for the Elimination of Violence against Women. Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Yakin Erturk. United Nations, Commission on Human Rights, 2006 Jan 20. 27 p. (E/CN.4/2006/61) Also available in French and Spanish. Commission on Human Rights, Sixty-second session. Item 12 (a) of the provisional agenda. 2006: The report concludes that if we continue to dare to push the boundaries of due diligence in demanding the full compliance of States with international law, including to address the root causes of violence, against women and to hold non-State actors accountable for their acts of violence, then we will move towards a conception of human rights that meets our aspirations for a just world free of violence. [Source: WUNRN] Online link: http://www.popline.org/docs/311204

Costs of intimate partner violence against women in the United States. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2003: Recognizing the need to better measure both the scope of the problem of intimate partner violence (IPV) as well as resulting economic costs-in particular, those related to health care-Congress funded the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to conduct a study to obtain national estimates of the occurrence of IPV-related injuries, to estimate their costs to the health care system, and to recommend strategies to prevent IPV and its consequences.  Available at http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/pub-res/ipv_cost/ipv.htm

Accelerating the Abandonment of Female Genital Cutting: Community Change to Support Human Rights, Stephanie Joyce, Population Council/FRONTIERS, Global Health Technical Brief:  A technical brief on female genital mutilation. Read more: http://www.maqweb.org/techbriefs/tb31fgc.shtml

III. Journal Articles

Violence against women by their intimate partner and common mental disorders. Ludermir, A. B., L. B. Schraiber, et al., Social Science & Medicine 66(4): 1008-1018. 2008: This study investigated the association between violence committed against women by their intimate partners, defined by psychologically, physically and sexually abusive acts, and common mental disorders, assessed by using the Self Reporting Questionnaire (SRQ-20). [Source: RAISE Literature Review] Abstract:  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6VBF-4RRD36G-3/2/5741eb85b2d2969bc2a63b3f8766bdb9

An examination of the perceived social support levels of women in methadone maintenance treatment programs who experience various forms of intimate partner violence. Panchanadeswaran S, El-Bassel N, Gilbert L, Wu E, Chang M. Womens Health Issues; 18(1): 35-43. 2008: The main objectives of this study were to describe the perceived social support levels and examine the associations between various forms of IPV and perceived levels of available social support perceived levels among a sample of women in drug treatment programs.  [Source: SaftetyLit] Full abstract:  http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_84405_20

Effects of Individual and Proximate Educational Context on Intimate Partner Violence: A Population-Based Study of Women in India. Ackerson LK, Kawachi I, Barbeau EM, Subramanian SV. Am J Public Health. 2008: This study examined the role of women's education and proximate educational context on intimate partner violence (IPV). [Source: Medical Advocates - Battered Women] Full abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18235066?ordinalpos=5&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Cueing prenatal providers effects on discussions of intimate partner violence. Calderón SH, Gilbert P, Jackson R, Kohn MA, Gerbert B. Am J Prev Med: 34(2)134-7. 2008: Practice guidelines recommend that prenatal providers screen for and counsel their patients about IPV, yet many physicians express reluctance or discomfort regarding such discussions. The Health in Pregnancy (HIP) computer program was designed to improve prenatal providers' counseling about behavioral risks. [Source: SaftetyLit] Full abstract:  http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_84415_20

Detecting intimate partner violence during pregnancy: awareness-raising indicators for use by primary healthcare professionals. Reichenheim ME, Patricio TF, Moraes CL. Public Health 2008: The aim of this study is to make the identification of those subgroups of pregnant women most likely to be living in IPV situations both practical and simple. [Source: SaftetyLit] Full abstract:  http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_84264_20

Health Care Utilization and Costs Associated with Childhood Abuse. Bonomi AE, Anderson ML, Rivara FP, Cannon EA, Fishman PA, Carrell D, Reid RJ, Thompson RS. J Gen Intern Med 2008: Child abuse is associated with long-term elevated health care use and costs, particularly for women who suffer both physical and sexual abuse. [Source: SaftetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_84237_20

IV. Events

>From Margins to Mainstream, 5th World Conference on the Promotion of Mental Health and the Prevention of Mental and Behavioural Disorders, Melbourne, Australia, 10th-12th September, 2008: Violence and discrimination have been identified through evidence-based research as major determinants of mental health and well being. This conference is an important opportunity for those who work in the fields of preventing violence against women and discrimination to feature their work internationally. Researchers, health professionals, educators, policy workers, academics, and those working to address violence and discrimination within the context of community organisations will find this conference a must. If you are interested in developing a session, please contact Melanie Heenan at VicHealth on (03) 9667 1355 to discuss any support you may need. For more information visit: http://www.margins2mainstream.com/

Conference: Prostitution Policy: New Directions, London, United Kingdom, 7 March 2008:  The main aim of this conference is to present and discuss some of the key issues associated with prostitution. Further details: http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/events/#event84

Violencia Doméstica: From Emerging Dialogues to Social Transformation, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 8-11 March 2008: Alianza is pleased to announce its next national conference La Violencia Doméstica: From Emerging Dialogues to Social Transformation: Celebrando 10 Años de Esfuerzos Unidos y Mirando Hacia el Futuro (Celebrating 10 Years of United Efforts and Looking Toward the Future). [Source: Prevent-Connect] Read more: http://www.dvalianza.org/2008conference/2008conference.htm

52nd session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) conference, New York, February 25 to March 7, 2008: Financing for gender equality and the empowerment of women is the priority theme for the session. Visit the web site for the Calendar of parallel events organized by non-governmental organizations, the official programme of work and official documents of the meeting. Additional information, is also available through the United Nations Fund for Women (UNIFEM) web site: http://unhq-appspub-1.un.org/lib/dhlrefweblog.nsf/dx/05022008024627PMJASR7N.htm

Call for Applications: IWRAW Asia Pacific: Regional Training of Trainers on CEDAW, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 25-31 May 2008: IWRAW Asia Pacific is happy to announce that they will conduct a Regional Training of Trainers for women's rights leaders in the Asia Pacific region who wish to promote equality and the human rights of women through engagement with the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW). For further information, please email iwraw-ap at iwraw-ap.org, iwraw_ap at yahoo.com and/or visit www.iwraw-ap.org

Ethical Issues in International Health Research Workshop, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, June 9-13, 2008: This course is for those who fund, approve, conduct, or collaborate on health research. More information online at: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bioethics/

V. Funding Links / Research Opportunities

The International Engagement Awards:  The aim of this award is to strengthen the capacity of researchers and communicators in developing countries to facilitate public engagement with health research. Grants of up to £30 000 are available, for projects lasting a maximum of three years. First deadline for applications is 25 April 2008.For full details of the scheme and how to apply, visit:http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/internationalengagement

IDRC Doctoral Research Awards (Canadian citizens only): IDRC Doctoral Research Awards are intended to promote the growth of Canadian capacity in research on sustainable and equitable development from an international perspective. Deadline April 1, 2008. For more information visit: http://www.idrc.ca/en/ev-23374-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html

Call for Applications-Rutgers Institute for Research on Women-Culture of Rights/Rights of Culture:  The Institute for Research on Women has received an award through the Rutgers Academic Excellence Fund to support travel and living expenses for international scholars currently living outside the United States while they are in residence at the Institute for Research on Women (IRW) during 2008-2009. The IRW's Global Scholars program will make three awards of up to $20,000 each to international scholars whose research and writing projects are appropriate for the IRW's 2008-2009 theme "The Culture of Rights/The Rights of Culture." The deadline for applications (accepted via email only) is March 1, 2008. Potential applicants are welcome to contact the IRW at irw at rci.rutgers.edu.  Please see the program announcement for additional information and application guidelines, online at:  http://irw.rutgers.edu/2008-09GSfunded.pdf

African Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowship Program: The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC), in partnership with the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and Ford Foundation, is pleased to announce the African Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowships (ADDRF), a new fellowship program to support doctoral students at African universities whose theses address issues relating to heath systems strengthening in Africa. One of these fellowships will support doctoral research that focuses on the broad field of sexuality research. The deadline for applications is March 29, 2008. Potential applicants are welcome to send queries and applications to the following email address: addrf at aphrc.org

FUNDING ALERT Volume 3, Issue 8, February 8, 2008, National Resource Center on Domestic Violence & National Sexual Violence Resource Center: The FUNDING ALERT provides a synopsis of the available funding that can be used by individuals and/or agencies working to end domestic violence and sexual assault. The current FUNDING ALERT can be accessed at: http://new.vawnet.org/Assoc_Files_VAWnet/FundingAlert-V3N8.pdf

VI. Advocacy Materials

Video: Nigeria - Italy Sex Trafficking: This video interview is from a brave woman who was trafficked from Nigeria to Italy. Link: http://womennewsnetwork.vodpod.com/video/835768-nigeria-sex-trade-story

Say NO to Violence against Women: The United Nations Foundation will donate $1 for each the first 100,000 signatures to the online campaign that is run by the UN Development Fund for Women, UNIFEM. The contributions will go to the UNIFEM-managed UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women. [Repeat Posting] Please sign on at http://www.sayNOtoviolence.org

VII. Vacancies

Professor/Associate Professor - Analysis of Gender in Development or International Studies / Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies / Geneva, Switzerland / Application deadline: March 15, 2008 / More information online at: http://graduateinstitute.ch/corporate/presentation/open_positions_en.html

Executive Director / Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence / Harrisburg, PA, USA / Review of the resumes begins Monday, March 3. The search will remain open until the position is filled. / [Source: Prevent-Connect] More information online at: http://www.pcadv.org/employment.html

Job Posting / DCAF's Special Programmes Department / Geneva, Switzerland / Deadline for applications is 10 March 2008 / For further information on DCAF, please visit our website: http://www.dcaf.ch.

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>  or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za

Please circulate these resources widely.

--
believed to be clean.