[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 08 07 08

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Tue Jul 8 09:16:49 SAST 2008

Dear SVRI List Members

This week's SVRI Update contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. Please email svri at mrc.ac.za <mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>  if you would like us to include relevant sexual violence resources and materials in the SVRI Updates. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>

>From the 14-18th July, the SVRI will be holding our Annual Coordinating Group meeting and hosting a consultative meeting on Ethical Recommendations for Research on Perpetration of Sexual Violence. As such there will be no postings next week.

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. Webpages/Sites
II. Online Publications
III. Journal Articles
IV. Events
V. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities
VI. SVRI Online Discussion Forum
VII. Vacancies

I. Webpages/Sites

Intercultural Dialogue on Violence against Women: The overall objective of the project is to enhance the active participation of women in intercultural dialogue about violence against women and the diffusion of information about overcoming discrimination and violence against women in the Euro-Med region. Webpage: http://www.medinstgenderstudies.org/wp/?p=240

Boys and Men Healing: Big Voice Pictures, producers of the acclaimed documentary, The Healing Years, which has been utilized as an education, prevention and training tool in organizations and centers nationally, now presents a preview screening of their new, in-progress documentary, Boys and Men Healing. Website: www.boysandmenhealing.com

Children Affected By Conflict: An extraordinary impetus now exists for the application of international standards and norms that demonstrates the remarkable commitment of the international community to child protection in armed conflict. It is imperative to maintain that momentum in order to further advance the agenda and to better protect our children from war. Website: http://www.un.org/children/conflict/english/index.html

Very Young Girls Nina by Alvarez (producer/co-director); David Schisgall (producer/co-director); Priya Swaminathan (producer/co-director); Rachel Lloyd (producer), 2008: Very Young Girls is a documentary film that chronicles the journey of young women through the underground world of sexual exploitation in New York City. Website: http://www.thefledglingfund.org/media/girls/very-young-girls.html

For more links visit our Links page: http://www.svri.org/genlinks.htm

II. Online Publications

Understanding And Improving Law Enforcement Responses To Human Trafficking. Amy Farrell, Jack McDevitt, Stephanie Fahy, Scott Decker, Nancy Rodriguez, Vince Webb, Nikos Passas. Northeastern University's Institute on Race and Justice, 2008: Northeastern University's Institute on Race and Justice has released a report documenting the way in which law enforcement agencies currently identify and respond to human trafficking. The report is based on a national survey sent to 3,000 county, state, and municipal law enforcement agencies. [Source: The VAW Monitor - July 2008] Full report: http://www.humantrafficking.neu.edu/news_reports/reports/documents/Understanding%20and%20Responding_Full%20Report.pdf

Intercultural Dialogue on Violence against Women. the Mediterranean Institute of Gender Studies, 2008: The Mediterranean Institute of Gender Studies [MIGS] is pleased to make available a publication with the Final Results of the Euro-Mediterranean project "Intercultural Dialogue on Violence against Women". It includes a synthesis of reports on Violence against Women from all five partner countries [Cyprus, Morocco, Greece, Egypt, Spain]. For further information, please visit http://www.medinstgenderstudies.org/wp/?p=447

Aboriginal Women and Family Violence. Canada. National Clearinghouse on Family Violence. Ottawa: Public Health Agency of Canada, 2008: In 2006, the Ipsos-Reid research firm prepared a report entitled "Aboriginal Women and Family Violence" for Indian and Northern Affairs Canada. The research project studied the attitudes and opinions of Aboriginal women, and the professionals who work with them, on the issue of family violence, specifically intimate partner violence against women. This report is a condensed version of the larger report. Full report: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/ncfv-cnivf/familyviolence/pdfs/fem-abor_e.pdf

Truth-Telling as Talking Cure? Insecurity and Retraumatization in the Rwandan Gacaca Courts. Karen Brouneus. Governance and Social Development Resource Centre. 2008: How does testifying in truth and reconciliation commissions affect psychological health? Is the experience healing or retraumatising? This Security Dialogue study presents evidence from interviews with women who have testified in Rwanda's local gacaca courts. Download document online at: http://www.gsdrc.org/go/display&type=Document&id=3016

Leaving the past behind? When victims of trafficking decline assistance. Brunovskis A. and Surtees R., Fafo and Nexus Institute, 2007: The study considers the reasons that some trafficking victims decline assistance and examines the circumstances under which they do so. The study found that victims decline assistance for a large variety of reasons, stemming from their personal circumstances; because of the way assistance is organized; and due to factors in their social surroundings, including negative assistance experiences in the past. Many do not accept because they feel it is not a real option, and are left to cope on their own with unattended post-trafficking problems. [Source: http://www.childtrafficking.com] Online at: http://www.childtrafficking.com/Docs/fafo_past_victims_tra_ass_0408.pdf

For more country specific resources on sexual violence visit our country pages:  http://www.svri.org/countries.htm

III. Journal Articles

"I have heard horrible stories . . .": rape victim advocates' perceptions of the revictimization of rape victims by the police and medical system. Maier SL. Violence Against Women. Jul;14(7):786-808. 2008: This study explores rape victim advocates' perceptions of the revictimization of rape victims by the police and medical system. [Source: Battered Women Health Update] Full abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18559867?ordinalpos=11&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

The elevated risk for violence against cohabiting women: a comparison of three nationally representative surveys of Canada. Brownridge DA. Violence Against Women. Jul;14(7):809-32. 2008: This study examined cohabiting women's elevated risk for male partner violence.  [Source: Battered Women Health Update] Full abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18559868?ordinalpos=10&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

The impact of intimate partner violence on women's reproductive health and pregnancy outcome. Sarkar NN. J Obstet Gynaecol. Apr;28(3):266-71. 2008: The aim of this study was to evaluate and elucidate the impact of intimate partner violence (IPV) on women's reproductive health and pregnancy outcomes taking into account data from various countries. [Source: Battered Women Health Update] Full abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18569465?ordinalpos=5&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

(Mis)perceptions about intimate partner violence in women presenting for orthopaedic care: a survey of Canadian orthopaedic surgeons. Bhandari M, Sprague S, Tornetta P, D'Aurora V, Schemitsch E, Shearer H, Brink O, Mathews D, Dosanjh S. J Bone Joint Surg Am; 90(7): 1590-7. 2008: This study aimed to identify the perceptions, attitudes, and knowledge of Canadian orthopaedic surgeons with regard to intimate partner violence. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_88539_20

Is Religiosity Associated with Corporal Punishment or Child Abuse? Socolar RR, Cabinum-Foeller E, Sinal SH. South Med J 2008; ePub: There is limited empiric literature available regarding religion and corporal punishment and physical child abuse. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_88496_20

Mortality due to intimate partner violence in foreign women living in Spain (1999-2006). Vives-Cases C, Alvarez-Dardet C, Torrubiano-Domínguez J, Gil-Gonzalez D. Gac Sanit; 22(3): 232-5. 2008: The purpose of this study was to describe the distribution of mortality due to intimate partner violence (IPV) in foreign women living in Spain and to explore the potentially greater risk of dying from IPV in this group. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_88566_20

Rape Prevention With College Men: Evaluating Risk Status. Stephens KA, George WH. J Interpers Violence 2008; ePub: This study evaluates the effectiveness of a theoretically based rape prevention intervention with college men who were at high or low risk to perpetrate sexually coercive behavior. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_88522_20

Survey of domestic violence among young adolescents in Slovenia. Sprah L. Psychiatr Danub; 20(2): 208-16. 2008: The aim of the study was to assess the extensiveness and characteristics of domestic violence in a group of Slovenian adolescents. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_88554_20

For additional issues related resources and articles on sexual violence visit our issues pages:  http://www.svri.org/issues.htm

IV. Events

The 1st conference on Strengthening Linkages Between Sexual and Reproductive Health And HIV/AIDS Services - The Sexual Violence Nexus, Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya, 29th September - 1st October 2008: This conference aims to utilize sexual violence as a nexus for interrogating and strengthening existing response and the inter-linkages between HIV/AIDS and reproductive health. For more details and to register go to: http://www.svconference2008.org/

World Population Foundation and Youth Incentives: International Conference: Rights and Realities in Promoting Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, November 10-11, 2008: In an open, respectful atmosphere the conference will deal with the challenges of a Rights Based Approach (RBA) and identify strategies in how to overcome them. The conference is meant for policymakers, programme officers, field staff, NGO-representatives and youth organisations that have to deal with sexuality issues in their professional work. For more information visit: http://www.youthincentives.org/ and/or http://www.wpf.org/

The 11th AWID International Forum on Women's Rights and Development - The Power of Movements, Cape Town, South Africa, November 14-17, 2008: For more information visit:
www.awid.org/forum08

International Conference on Gender-Based Violence and Sexual Reproductive Health,  February 15-18, 2009, Mumbai, India: The organizers of this international conference invite researchers, activists and practitioners to attend and provide insight into how gender-based violence is compromising the sexual and reproductive health of women, men and children. For more information email: Dr. Balaiah Donta at gbv2009 at yahoo.co.in or bdonta2007 at yahoo.co.in.

Conference: Contested Innocence-Sexual Agency In Public And Private Space, 16 to18 April 2009, Hanoi, Vietnam: The International Association for the Study of Sexuality, Culture and Society (IASSCS) is organising its 7th biennial meeting, titled "Contested Innocence - Sexual Agency in Public and Private Space" from 16 to18 April 2009 in Hanoi, Vietnam. The 2009 Conference theme will focus on socio-cultural analyses of issues surrounding sexual agency in public and private spaces. For more information, visit http://www.iasscs.org/2009conference

Visit our events / calendar pages for event information: http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm

V. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities

2008 Australian Development Research Awards - call for applications is now open - Gender equality is one of the priority themes. Applications are due by 5pm AEST, Friday 29th August 2008. [Source: pacwin] Details for submitting applications are at: http://www.ausaid.gov.au/research/awards.cfm

Call For Papers - International Journal of Innovation and Sustainable Development - Special Issue On Gender And Sustainable Development -- Summer 2009: The International Journal of Innovation and Sustainable Development (IJISD) invites submissions for a special edition on Gender and Sustainable Development to be published in Summer 2009. Articles should be based on new quantitative research concerning the economic, social and environmental role of women and the implications for government policies and business practices. Initially, an abstract of not more than 150 words in the form of an MS Word file attached to an e-mail should be submitted electronically by 1 September 2008 to the Guest Editor (Candice.Stevens at oecd.org) or to the General Editor, Dr Delyse Springett (D.V.Springett at massey.ac.nz). [Source: WUNRN] Authors should observe the pro forma of the Journal and follow the Author Guidelines, both on the Journal's website:: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalCODE=ijisd

SVRI Funding Links Page: For details on funders who have funding sources available for research on sexual violence visit: http://www.svri.org/funding.htm

VI. SVRI Online Discussion Forum: current discussions

The SVRI provides you with a platform to interact online with other members of the SVRI who have registered with the Forum. The following discussions are currently taking place on the Forum.

* Strengthening sexual violence advocacy initiatives through research
* Initiation Schools and Violence
* What Campus Rape Crisis? Mary Koss's Response
* Medico-legal care for sexual assault survivors

To view these discussions, comment or create your own please visit: http://www.svri.org/activities.htm#svri

VII. Vacancies

Research Manager / Gender Links / Johannesburg, South Africa / Closing date: July 18, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.genderlinks.org.za/page.php?p_id=309

Training Manager / Gender Links / Johannesburg, South Africa / Closing date: July 18, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.genderlinks.org.za/page.php?p_id=309

Gender and Media Diversity Centre Manager / Gender Links / Johannesburg, South Africa / Closing date: July 18, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.genderlinks.org.za/page.php?p_id=309

Senior Gender-based Violence (GBV) Program Coordinator / The International Rescue Committee (IRC) / Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.theirc.org/jobs => search under "DR Congo."

Director of the Law School Initiative / The Center for Reproductive Rights / New York, NY, USA. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.reproductiverights.org/ab_employment.html#lsdirect

Information Officer / Women of Uganda Network (WOUGNET) / Kampala, Uganda / Closing date: July 15, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.wougnet.org/cms/index.php

Executive/Programs Assistant / Gender Action / Washington, DC, USA / Open until filled. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.genderaction.org

Programme Officer / The European Parliamentary Forum on Population and Development (EPF) / Brussels, Belgium / Closing date: July 21, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.iepfpd.org

Vice President Of Communications / The Global Fund for Women / San Francisco, CA, USA. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.globalfundforwomen.org/cms/about-gfw/jobs

Assistant Director and Projects Manager / Computer Aid International / Nairobi, Kenya / Closing date: July 10, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.computeraid.org

Country Representative, Vietnam / World Population Foundation (WPF) / Hanoi, Vietnam / Closing date: July 19, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.wpf.org/organisation_article/job_opening

Project Coordinator (16 Days Campaign plus VAW) / Center for Women's Global Leadership (CWGL) / New Brunswick, NJ, USA. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.cwgl.rutgers.edu/globalcenter/employment.html

Programme Officer (WHRAP-China Project) / The Asian-Pacific Resource and Research Centre for Women (ARROW) / Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia / Closing date: July 15, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.arrow.org.my

Programme Officer (Research, ICPD+15) / The Asian-Pacific Resource and Research Centre for Women (ARROW) / Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia / Closing date: July 15, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: http://www.arrow.org.my

Development Internship Opportunities / Aga Khan Development Network / Central Asia / Closing date: July 31, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: https://sh.webhire.com/servlet/av/jd?ai=736&ji=2244655&sn=L&cd=2&si=0

Office Administrator / The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) / Cape Town, South Africa / Closing date: July 11, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: www.awid.org

Research Associate - Building Feminist Movements and Organizations (BFEMO) / The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) / Cape Town, South Africa or Mexico City, Mexico / Closing date: July 15, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: www.awid.org

Program Assistant / The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) / Mexico City, Mexico / Closing date: July 15, 2008. [Source: AWID Jobs: Week of 07 July 2008] More information: www.awid.org

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>  or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za

Please circulate these resources widely.