[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 24 11 08

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Mon Nov 24 10:56:12 SAST 2008

Dear SVRI List Members

This week's SVRI Update contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. Please email svri at mrc.ac.za if you would like us to include relevant sexual violence resources and materials in the SVRI Updates. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. SVRI Listserv Member Request
II. Webpages/Sites
III. Online Publications
IV. Journal Articles
V. Events
VI. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities
VII. SVRI Online Discussion Forum
VIII. Vacancies

I. SVRI Listserv Member Request:

Wanted: examples where justice for women in and after deadly conflict needs to be made much more effective: Lesley Abdela will be giving a talk at the Institute for Advanced Legal Studies in London in the Spring (February 20/21 2009)  She will be the only speaker discussing War Crimes from the Gender perspective.  She has been 'blogging' away at this for the past 8 years since she was in Kosovo as the OSCE Deputy Director for Democracy immediately after the NATO campaign (see http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2001/feb/26/warcrimes).  Ahead of her talk, I'd appreciate views and examples from others where justice for women in and after deadly conflict needs much greater attention. Certainly security protection for women witnesses, coverage of their costs in getting to the Courts and waiting weeks and months to give evidence etc. is completely inadequate and defies the implementation of justice, resulting, effectively, in impunity for perpetrators of crimes against women. For more information please email Tim Symonds, Eyecatcher/Shevolution: tim.symonds at shevolution.com

II. Webpages/Sites

The National Clearinghouse on Family Violence (NCFV) What's New Page: The NCFV offers more than 130 publications, including overview papers, reports, discussion papers and handbooks on family violence issues. To preview our most recent publications, please visit their What's New page: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/ncfv-cnivf/familyviolence/new_e.html

Get Beyond Firewood: Every day, millions of refugee women and girls around the world risk being raped, beaten-even killed-as they search for the firewood they need to cook food for their families. The Women's Commission for Refugee Women and Children has taken a lead on finding solutions to the crisis with an international effort to find safer alternatives: clean-burning fuels, fuel-efficient stoves, solar cookers, and cutting-edge technologies yet to be developed. [Source: WUNRN] Webpage: http://www.getbeyondfirewood.org/

Be-Free Centre: The Be-Free programme is a Bahrain based non-government organisation that aims to prevent all forms of child abuse. Visit them online at: http://www.be-free.info/index.asp

SVRI Forum 2009: The SVRI is pleased to invite you to its first conference, SVRI Forum 2009: Coordinated evidence-based responses to end sexual violence, to be held in Johannesburg, South Africa from 6 - 9 July 2009. The conference is aimed at promoting research on sexual violence, highlighting innovation and encouraging sharing and networking in the area of sexual violence. Webpage: http://svriforum2009.svri.org/index.htm

III. Online Publications

Gender-based Violence in sub-Saharan Africa: A review of Demographic and Health Survey findings and their use in National Planning. Africa's Health in 2010, USAID, 2008: Although reliable data on the prevalence of the various forms of GBV remains scarce, the Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) program has been contributing to the growing body of evidence on one important aspect of GBV by providing national level population-based data on the prevalence, risk factors and consequences of domestic violence experienced by women. [Source: AfroNets] This report is available online: http://africahealth2010.aed.org/PDF/GBV.pdf

No Experience Necessary: The Internal Trafficking of Persons in South Africa, IOM and USAID, 2008: This qualitative study is the first survey research on the trafficking in children, women and men for labour and sexual exploitation within South Africa. [Source: WUNRN] Download full report online at: http://iom.org.za/site/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=21&Itemid=50

Take Action Against Sexual Assault On Campus, National Organization for Women. 2008: This toolkit will help you design a campaign for awareness and prevention of violence against women on your campus. [Source: WUNRN] Toolkit: http://www.now.org/issues/violence/NOW_Sexual_Assault_Toolkit.pdf

Report of the High-Level Meeting on 'Building Partnerships for Promoting Gender Justice in Post-Conflict Societies' Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs, in cooperation with the UN Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) and the International Legal Assistance Consortium, Stockholm, August 2005. Full report online at: http://www.womenwarpeace.org/webfm_send/274

For more country specific resources on sexual violence visit our country pages:  http://www.svri.org/countries.htm

IV. Journal Articles

Intimate partner sexual violence among men and women in urban Brazil, 2005. Lilia Blima Schraiber, Ana Flávia P L D'Oliveira, Ivan França-Junior. Rev Saúde Pública;42(Supl. 1) 2008: The aim of this study was to estimate the prevalence of intimate partner sexual violence among men and women of the Brazilian urban population and factors associated to it. Full article: http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rsp/v42s1/en_15.pdf

Analysis of 268 child and adolescent victims of sexual assault and the legal outcome. Kucuker H. Turk J Pediatr; 50(4): 313-6. 2008: The aim of this study was to define the sociodemographic features of the sexual assault victims and the assailants in the crimes against children and adolescents in Turkey. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_91989_20

Backlash or Equality? The Influence of Men's and Women's Rights Discourses on Domestic Violence Legislation in Ontario. Girard AL. Violence Against Women 2008; ePub: Through an examination of the public debates from Ontario's Bill 117, An Act to Better Protect Victims of Domestic Violence, this article explores the discourses that men's rights activists used to counter feminist constructions of domestic violence. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_92057_20

Covariation in the Use of Physical and Sexual Intimate Partner Aggression Among Adolescent and College-Age Men: A Longitudinal Analysis. White JW, Smith PH. Violence Against Women 2008; ePub: A longitudinal examination of male perpetration of physical aggression toward a romantic partner and its covariation with sexual aggression reveals a decline from adolescence through 4 years of college. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_92060_20

Empowerment and programs designed to address domestic violence. Kasturirangan A. Violence Against Women; 14(12): 1465-75. 2008: This review examines the literature on empowerment, including characteristics of an empowerment process and critiques of empowerment. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_92068_20

>From the Kitchen to the Bedroom: Frequency Rates and Consequences of Sexual Harassment Among Female Domestic Workers in Brazil. Desouza ER, Cerqueira E. J Interpers Violence 2008; ePub: The authors examined frequency rates and consequences of sexual harassment among female domestic workers in Brazil. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_90595_20

Gender progress and government expenditure as determinants of femicide. Palma-Solis M, Vives-Cases C, Alvarez-Dardet C. Ann Epidemiol; 18(4): 322-9. 2008: An ecological and retrospective study was undertaken that focused on 61 countries and analyzed the relationships of femicide with the economic, political and gender progress indicators from the period 1990 to 1999. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_86318_20

Gender-violence against the female nursing staff of a Brazilian hospital in Sao Paulo City. Oliveira AR, D'Oliveira AF. Rev Saude Publica; 42(5): 868-76. 2008: The aim of this study was to estimate the occurrence of psychological, physical and sexual violence among female nursing staff. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_90847_20

Harm associated with stalking victimization. Thomas SD, Purcell R, Pathe M, Mullen PE. Aust N Z J Psychiatry; 42(9): 800-6. 2008: The purpose of the present study was to determine the frequency at which assault and attempted assault occur as outcomes among stalking victims, and to explore the common characteristics of those cases in which the victims report these harmful outcomes as a result of the stalking behaviour. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_89389_20

Primary Prevention of Violence Against Women: Training Needs of Violence Practitioners. Martin SL, Coyne-Beasley T, Hoehn M, Mathew M, Runyan CW, Orton S, Royster LA. Violence Against Women 2008; ePub: Practitioners in domestic violence and sexual assault programs have been encouraged by the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control to enhance their activities in violence prevention; however, many practitioners have not been trained in prevention concepts and strategies. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_91991_20

Reports of Police Calls for Service as a Risk Indicator for Intimate Partner Violence. Dichter ME, Rhodes KV. Acad Emerg Med 2008; ePub: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the utility of asking female emergency department patients about police calls for service as a possible indicator of intimate partner violence [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_92073_20

Sexual Violence Against Women and Children in Chinese Societies. Chan KL. Trauma Violence Abuse 2008; ePub: This article provides a comprehensive overview of the reported patterns of sexual violence against women and children in China. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_92072_20

The Danger Assessment: Validation of a Lethality Risk Assessment Instrument for Intimate Partner Femicide. Campbell JC, Webster DW, Glass N. J Interpers Violence 2008; ePub: The Danger Assessment (DA) is an instrument designed to assess the likelihood of lethality or near lethality occurring in a case of intimate partner violence. This article describes the development, psychometric validation, and suggestions for use of the DA. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_89294_20

The effect of intra- versus post-interview feedback during simulated practice interviews about child abuse. Powell MB, Fisher RP, Hughes-Scholes CH. Child Abuse Neglect 2008; ePub: This study compared the effectiveness of two types of instructor feedback (relative to no feedback) on investigative interviewers' ability to adhere to open-ended questions in simulated practice interviews about child abuse. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_85533_20

The effect of spousal violence on women's health: Findings from the Stree Arogya Shodh in Goa, India. Chowdhary N, Patel V. J Postgrad Med; 54(4): 306-12. 2008: Spousal violence has wide-ranging effects on the physical, reproductive, sexual and psychological health of women. [Source: SafetyLit] Full abstract: http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_91426_20

For additional issues related resources and articles on sexual violence visit our issues pages:  http://www.svri.org/issues.htm

V. Events

International Day for Elimination of Violence Against Women, November 25th: Add your voice to an ever-growing movement of people who call for global action to end violence against women. Website: http://www.saynotoviolence.org/

FGM/C eLearning course: JHUCCP and USAID's Office of Population/Reproductive Health are pleased to announce the release of the FGM/C eLearning course on USAID's Global Health eLearning Center. [Source: Interagency Gender Working Group LISTSERV Mailing List] You can access it at http://www.globalhealthlearning.org/index.cfm

Call for Abstracts - SVRI Forum 2009: Sexual Violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses, Johannesburg, South Africa, 6 - 9 July 2009. More information online at: http://svriforum2009.svri.org/index.htm

"The Power to Hurt - The Power to Heal: International Conference on Male Sexual Assault", Oslo, Norway, January 29-30, 2009: This will be Norway's first conference on male victimization. Updated information and registration material in can be found at: http://www.kirkens-ressurssenter.no/konferanse/english.shtml.

Battered Women, Abused Children, and Child Custody, A National Crisis VI: Solutions - The Sixth Annual Battered Mothers Custody Conference, New York, January 9th, 10th, & 11th, 2009: For additional details and to register online, go to www.batteredmotherscustodyconference.org

Save the Date: A Call to Men, 4th National Conference, 899 10th Ave, New York, New York. Theater at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, May 21st - 22nd, 2009: Men and Women Coming Together to stand up and speak out to end Violence Against Women. For more information go to: http://www.acalltomen.org/downloads/STAND%20UP-SPEAK%20OUT.pdf

AIDS Impact Botswana, 22-25TH September 2009: The 9th AIDS Impact meeting is scheduled for 22-25 September 2009 in Gaborone Botswana. This exciting venue will place the conference in the hub of Sub Saharan Africa yet within a country with vast experience in HIV/AIDS Responses and an enormous learning environment. The website can provide you with further detailed information.  Please go to http://www.aidsimpact.com/2009

Visit our events / calendar pages for event information: http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm

VI. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities

FUNDING ALERT Volume 4, Number 3, National Resource Center on Domestic Violence & National Sexual Violence Resource Center. November 14, 2008: The FUNDING ALERT provides a synopsis of the available funding that can be used by individuals and/or agencies working to end domestic violence and sexual assault.  This issue of the FUNDING ALERT highlights the significant number of private grants currently open to support community-based domestic violence programs.The FUNDING ALERT is located at: http://new.vawnet.org/Assoc_Files_VAWnet/FundingAlert-V4N3.PDF

Five College Women's Studies Research Center - A collaborative project of Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts, Amherst: The Center invites applications for its research associates for 2009-2010 from scholars and teachers at all levels of the educational system, as well as from artists, community organizers and political activists, both local and international. Associates are provided with offices in our spacious facility, faculty library privileges, and the collegiality of a diverse community of feminists. Research Associate applications are accepted for either a semester or the academic year. The Center supports projects in all disciplines so long as they focus centrally on women or gender. Research Associateships are non-stipendiary. We accept about 15-18 Research Associates per year. Applicants should submit a project proposal (up to 4 pages), curriculum vitae, two letters of reference, and application cover sheet. Deadline is February 9, 2009. [Source: Gain] For further information, email fcwsrc at fivecolleges.edu, or visit the website: http://www.fivecolleges.edu/sites/fcwsrc

Applications for the Bank of Montreal Visiting Scholar in Women's Studies, 2009-2010 Academic Year: The Institute of Women's Studies at the University of Ottawa is inviting applications for its Bank of Montreal Visiting Scholar in Women's Studies for 2009-2010. The purpose of this fund is to attract highly qualified researchers working on gender and women's issues. The Visiting Scholar's stay should be from three (3) to six (6) months within the university's academic year, from September to April. The recipient will receive a maximum of $3,000 which may be used to supplement research and/or travel expenses. Scholars with alternative funding will be considered. The Visiting Scholar will be required to present her ongoing research project in conferences and/or seminars and to interact with the community of students and colleagues.  The Institute of Women's Studies invites applications from Canadian and non-Canadian scholars, both tenured and untenured faculty, and from postdoctoral, independent scholars who are pursuing critical feminist research. Individuals must have a Ph.D. to be considered for this position. Applications should include a curriculum vitae, a detailed statement of the research project, copies of recent publications, the dates of the proposed stay at the University of Ottawa and the names of two referees. Additional information will be provided on request. The closing date for submitting applications is 31 December 2008. [Source: Wigsat-l mailing list] Please forward information requests / applications to: mcharbo at uOttawa.ca

SVRI Funding Links Page: For details on funders who have funding sources available for research on sexual violence visit: http://www.svri.org/funding.htm

VII. SVRI Online Discussion Forum

The SVRI provides you with a platform to interact online with other members of the SVRI who have registered with the SVRI Online Discussion Forum. The Population Council invites you to participate in the following discussion:

Thread: Improving effectiveness of post exposure prophylaxis (PEP): The Population Council is hosting an online discussion on the SVRI Online Discussion Forum from November 08 to May 09. The purpose of this discussion is to allow development practitioners to share information on best practices on administering PEP and emerging trends and lessons. Through this discussion we would like to explore the following:

1. How do we ensure survivors adhere to PEP?
2. What is the ideal regimen to give to survivors?
3. What are the most appropriate doses for children?
4. What follow-up strategies to enhance adherence to PEP are required?
5. In what ways can communities be involved to help improve PEP adherence?
6. How can advocacy strategies be applied to improve PEP adherence?

To view current discussions, comment or create your own please visit: http://www.svri.org/activities.htm#svri

VIII. Vacancies

Jobs at the International Center for Research on Women: For vacancies at ICRW visit the ICRW Jobs page. Vacancies are open until removed from the web. ICRW Jobs Paget: http://www.icrw.org/html/jobs/jobs.htm

UNIFEM Job Vacancies: New UNIFEM job vacancy announcements are available on the UNIFEM website: http://www.unifem.org/about/jobs.php

Legal Officer / The Women's Initiatives for Gender Justice / The Hague, the Netherlands/ Closing date: December 08, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Legal-Officer%20

Head, Counter Human Trafficking and Emerging Crimes Unit, L-4 / The United Nations / Turin, Italy / Closing date: December 07, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Head-Counter-Human-Trafficking-and-Emerging-Crimes-Unit-L-4

Consultant, Safe Abortion Area / International Planned Parenthood Federation/Western Hemisphere Region (IPPF/WHR) / Based in Latin America. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Consultant-Safe-Abortion-Area%20

Intern, International Women's Program / The Open Society Institute / New York, NY, USA / Closing date: January 05, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Intern-International-Women-s-Program%20

Senior Human Rights Adviser, Anti-Trafficking Unit / The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)/ Pristina, Kosovo / Closing date: December 02, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Human-Rights-Adviser-Anti-Trafficking-Unit%20

Pan Africa Gender Justice and Governance Lead / Oxfam GB / Based in either Dakar, Senegal, Nairobi, Kenya, or Pretoria, South Africa / Closing date: November 28, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Human-Rights-Adviser-Anti-Trafficking-Unit%20

Progress Report Coordinator / UNIFEM / New York, NY, USA / Closing date: December 12, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Progress-Report-Coordinator%20

Gender Equality Fund Programme Manager / UNIFEM / New York, NY, USA / Closing date: December 12, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Gender-Equality-Fund-Programme-Manager%20

Country Programme Manager / UNIFEM / Khartoum, Sudan / Closing date: December 05, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Country-Programme-Manager%20

Programme Communications Specialist / UNIFEM / New York, NY, USA / Closing date: December 04, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Programme-Communications-Specialist%20

Programme Specialist: Institutional Development / UNIFEM / New York, NY, USA / Closing date: December 04, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Programme-Specialist-Institutional-Development%20

National Coordinator / UNIFEM East and Southeast Asia Regional Office / Beijing, China / Closing date: December 12, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/National-Coordinator%20

Program Associate, Advocacy and Communications / The Nobel Women's Initiative / Ottawa, Ontario, Canada / Closing date: December 05, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Program-Associate-Advocacy-and-Communications%20

Deputy Director / The Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network / Toronto, Ontario, Canada / Closing date: December 05, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Deputy-Director%20

Public Engagement, Advocacy and Campaigns Officer / Oxfam Canada / Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada / Closing date: December 02, 2008. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Week of 24th November 2008] <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0012FbuKzg0QETipKkTrtA0EOU0Q25wdKT_na3PK5pwUQzSbfsPxSkFRxZ5_pUhhVRQiyVimnCuS3tk6aNqYBUUVidZ9kNHPlekNwSduS9b_GcJEpxGSvv8nXqXdHw_6NXThhddmqTq_pvChJO3vcoWaWTKIslRhwEZW_dMIo7-kVDzJL6ahu1Gsw==>  Read more: http://www.awid.org/eng/Jobs/Jobs-Around-the-World/Public-Engagement-Advocacy-and-Campaigns-Officer%20

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>  or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za