[Svrilist] SV in the News: 30 01 09

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Fri Jan 30 07:47:40 SAST 2009

Dear SVRI List Members

To follow is a list of newspaper articles and other stories on sexual violence from across the globe. If you would like to suggest resources to be included on the SVRI Updates or on the SVRI website, please email svri at mrc.ac.za. For additional resources and information on sexual violence, visit us at www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/> .

Sexual Violence in the News:

Teen boys filmed sex acts on girl, 13, with mobile phones
Sydney Morning Herald, 30 January 2009
A GROUP of teenage boys who subjected a 13-year-old girl to a series of sex acts and then circulated the footage on their mobile phones had limited sexual experience and were being "opportunistic", a court heard yesterday.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/teen-boys-filmed-sex-acts-on-girl-13-with-mobile-phones/2009/01/29/1232818637290.html

Harassment forces Afghan girls out of school
International Herald Tribune, 29 January 2009
>From acid attacks, murder, torching of schools and sexual assault, violence against female students is dashing the dreams of thousands of Afghan girls and women who are thirsty for an education that may help rejuvenate the fractured economy and society of their war-torn country.
http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2009/01/29/asia/OUKWD-UK-AFGHAN-EDUCATION-feature.php

5 get rigorous life term for raping German
Times of India, 29 January 2009
A Chandigarh sessions judge on Wednesday made an example of five rape accused, all in their early twenties, by sentencing them to a lifetime in jail under the most rigorous conditions, for kidnapping a German woman from a five-star hotel four months ago and taking turns to rape her in a farmhouse.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Chandigarh/5_get_rigorous_life_term_for_raping_German/articleshow/4042647.cms

CIA station chief accused of rape
BBC News, 29 January 2009
The CIA's station chief in Algeria is under investigation after two separate allegations of rape, US media report.

Life term for rape of boys reduced to 12 1/2-year sentence
Irish Times, 29 January 2009
THE COURT of Criminal Appeal has upheld arguments that a life sentence imposed on a man for raping two young boys was unduly severe, and has replaced it with a conditional 12½-year prison term.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0129/1232923372494.html

Sex attack sparks tourists' cancellations
The Southland Times, 29 January 2009
A New Zealand campervan company is experiencing fallout after a brutal sex attack on two Dutch tourists this month.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/southlandtimes/4832164a6011.html

Where Violence Against Women is Rampant
AWID, 28 January 2009
Papua New Guinea has made the international news again with a horrific story to reinforce stereotypes about the country: sorcery, sex, and fire.
http://www.awid.org/eng/Issues-and-Analysis/Issues-and-Analysis/Where-Violence-Against-Women-is-Rampant

Briton jailed for child sex abuse
BBC News, 28 January, 2009
A Briton jailed for 14 years for sexually abusing girls in Thailand has claimed he will not survive one year behind bars.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7855623.stm

Teen gets 35 years for rape
News 24, 28 January 2009
A man who raped an 18-year-old woman in a seven-and-a-half hour crime spree was sentenced to 35 years in prison by the Pietermaritzburg High Court on Wednesday.
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2460419,00.html

Early marriage a crime against humanity: Child Commission
Jakarta Post, 28 January 2009
Early marriages -- marital unions between women under age 20 and their peers or older men -- should be considered a crime against humanity due to the risk it poses to their wellbeing, a National Commission for Child Protection officer proposed on Wednesday.
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/01/28/early-marriage-a-crime-against-humanity-child-commission.html

Colombo's war crimes turn to rape of the fleeing - Jaffna MP
Tamilnet, 28 January 2009
Civilians who have been caught by the Sri Lanka Army, have complained to their relatives that the Sri Lankan soldiers have taken several women into their custody and were sexually abusing them, said Jaffna district parliamentarian S. Gajendran on Wednesday.
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=28176

BURKINA FASO: Cutters turn razors on babies to evade FGM/C law
IRIN News, 27 January 2009
Women performing excisions in Burkina Faso are cutting babies instead of young girls to escape increased scrutiny, according to the government and organisations fighting female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/C).
http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=82600

Italy arrests 6 in brutal gang-rape
International Herald Tribune, 27 January 2009
Italian authorities say they have arrested six Romanians in the gang-rape of a woman - a brutal attack that prompted the government to launch a crackdown on crime.
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/01/27/europe/EU-Italy-Rape.php

Berlusconi slammed for 'vulgar' gaffe
Sydney Morning Herald, 27 January 2009
Italy's gaffe-prone Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is facing a hail of criticism after he said he wished there were enough soldiers to protect "beautiful girls" from rape.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/berlusconi-slammed-for-vulgar-gaffe-20090127-7q4i.html

KENYA: FGM falsely touted as a panacea for HIV
IRIN News, 27 January 2009
Priscilla Bosibori, now 17, was 14 when an aunt fetched her from her school in Kisii, western Kenya, on the pretext of taking her to an important family function. Once they had left the school grounds, her aunt said her family had found a way of protecting her from HIV.
http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=82590

Visegrad in Denial Over Grisly Past
Institute for War and Peace Reporting, 27 January 2009
According to the prosecutor's pre-trial brief in the Lukic case, Vilina Vlas "was used by Milan Lukic and his paramilitaries to detain and interrogate Bosnian Muslim civilian men as well as to rape and sexually enslave young Muslim women and girls".
http://www.iwpr.net/?p=tri&s=f&o=348843&apc_state=henptri

Pakistani newlyweds live in fear of honour killing
Reuters, 23 January 2009
Pervez Chachar and his young wife live in the police headquarters in the Pakistani city of Karachi. Their crime? They fell in love and married without their families' permission.
http://in.reuters.com/article/southAsiaNews/idINIndia-37611020090123

LIBERIA: Rape stokes HIV concerns
IRIN News, 23 January 2009
Health workers in Liberia report at least 100 people seeking care for rape and other forms of sexual violence each month, according to rights groups that compile government figures; the government is concerned that not enough survivors are receiving treatment to prevent HIV infection.
http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=82545

Protect Womens Rights: States File Suit Against Last Minute Bush Rule Limiting Women's Access to Reproductive Services
AWID, 23 January 2009
7 states are suing the federal government to stop a last minute rule by former President Bush that pre-empts state laws guaranteeing women's access to reproductive services, including abortion and emergency contraception.
http://www.awid.org/eng/Women-s-Rights-in-the-News/Women-s-Rights-in-the-News/Protect-Womens-Rights-States-File-Suit-Against-Last-Minute-Bush-Rule-Limiting-Women-s-Access-to-Reproductive-Services

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa. The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem. If you want to know more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>  or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za. To unsubscribe from the list, email svri at mrc.ac.za

SVRI Forum 2009: The SVRI is pleased to invite you to its first conference, SVRI Forum 2009: Coordinated evidence-based responses to end sexual violence, to be held in Johannesburg, South Africa from 6 - 9 July 2009. The conference is aimed at promoting research on sexual violence, highlighting innovation and encouraging sharing and networking in the area of sexual violence. Webpage: http://svriforum2009.svri.org/index.htm

Please circulate these resources widely.

http://svriforum2009.svri.org/