[Svrilist] SV in the News: 31 07 09

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Fri Jul 31 13:37:39 SAST 2009

Dear SVRI List Members

To follow is a list of newspaper articles and other stories on sexual
violence from across the globe. If you would like to suggest resources
to be included on the SVRI Updates or on the SVRI website, please email
svri at mrc.ac.za. For additional resources and information on sexual
violence, visit us at www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/> .

Sexual Violence in the News:

Prosecutors change claim in technical rape case
Adelaide Now, 31 July 2009
Prosecutors no longer will claim the victim in a controversial
"technical rape" case had sex with her attacker before passing out, a
court has heard.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,27574,25860583-2682,00.html

Mending the Scars of Conflict
OneWorld.net, 30 July 2009
A sewing center in the Democratic Republic of Congo is giving women the
skills to start a new life and helping them cope with the mental and
physical trauma caused by decades of conflict.
http://us.oneworld.net/article/365730-repairing-scars-conflict

Rights groups decry Gaza 'honor killing'
CNN International, 30 July 2009
A 27-year-old mother of five was bludgeoned to death with an iron chain
by her father last week in Gaza in what human rights groups report was
an honor killing.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/07/30/mideast.honor.killings/

Lie detector stunt: Police probe rape claim
ABC News, 30 July 2009
Police are investigating the alleged rape of a teenage girl who revealed
her experience during a live stunt featuring a lie detector on
commercial radio station 2DayFM yesterday.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/30/2640463.htm?section=entert
ainment

Tackling South Africa's rape epidemic
BBC News, 29 July 2009
The trial of three of the men accused of the rape and murder of one of
South Africa's leading sportswomen, the openly gay football star Eudy
Simelane, starts in South Africa on Wednesday.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8171874.stm

Syria: Half measures against honour killings not enough - Human Rights
Watch
IRIN News, 29 July 2009
Human Rights Watch (HRW) has welcomed Syria's move to enforce a minimum
jail sentence of two years for honour killers but said it was not enough
as all murders should be dealt with equally.
http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=85481

Britain's Low Rate of Rape Convictions Blasted
Women's eNews, 29 July 2009
Analysis of the most recent statistics about rape convictions from
British authorities indicate that, despite government initiatives, only
7 percent of rapists are convicted and in some areas these rates are
going down.
http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/4086

Arizona Police Officer Describes Rape of 8-Year-Old Liberian Girl as a
Tragedy
Voice of America, 28 July 2009
The 14-year-old Liberian refugee boy who together with three other
children raped an 8-year-old Liberian girl earlier this month in
Phoenix, Arizona is awaiting trial after being charged as an adult.
http://www.voanews.com/english/Africa/2009-07-28-voa6.cfm

Harrowing stories at Bangalore 'dowry court'
Sify News, 28 July 2009
As 25 women poured out their stories of pain, suffering and survival --
after being brutally harassed by their husbands and in-laws for dowry --
at a unique 'court' here Tuesday, activists demanded a stringent law to
end the social menace.
http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?a=jh2t4dbgcca&title=Bangalore_dowry_c
ourt_hears_harrowing_stories_demands_stringent_law

Rape case lost file blunder
BBC News, 28 July 2009
A man suspected of raping a woman 12 years ago cannot face prosecution,
as the police have lost the case file.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8172707.stm

Nicaragua: Therapeutic Abortion Ban a "Disgrace" Says Rights Group
Inter Press Service News Agency, 27 July 2009
"What happened to me shattered my dreams, my hopes - I wanted to be
someone who worked outside the home but I spend all day at home looking
after the baby...I can't even sleep and I feel very unsafe, many of my
days are a nightmare, it's very hard to carry on and I feel very sad and
very tired," said "M", who was raped at age 17 by a relative.
http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=47834

Afghanistan women outraged at proposed family planning law
International Planned Parenthood Federation, 27 July 2009
A few days after the Taliban were toppled in 2001, I was in Kabul. The
city was jubilant and full of hope for the future, and I remember
talking to some laughing teenage girls in the street. One was excited
because she could now go back to school. Another sang terrible disco
songs and showed me dance steps she had been practising for five years
in secret. A third debated whether to take off her burka.
http://www.ippf.org/en/News/Intl+news/Afghanistan+women+outraged+at+prop
osed+family+planning+law.htm

Ban urges tougher steps to end widespread sexual violence in armed
conflict
UN News Centre, 27 July 2009
Mr. Ban noted that for the first time the International Criminal
Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) qualified rape as a form of genocide,
recognizing that sexual violence was a step in the process of group
destruction - the "destruction of the spirit, of the will to live, and
of life itself."
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=31602&Cr=sexual+violence&Cr
1=

Alfred's story: Youth journalist reports on early marriage in Southern
Sudan
UNICEF, 24 July 2009
As Alfred Malish, now 14, has grown up, he has noticed an alarming thing
happening around him: His female classmates are leaving school early to
get married.
http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/sudan_50338.html

What have we done to Bodies? Wendy Harcourt's Reflections on Body
Politics
AWID, 24 July 2009
In Body Politics in Development, Wendy Harcourt re-centers what has
become invisible through processes of advocacy and action: bodies.
Bodies that are reproductive, productive and caring, violated,
sexualized and rendered through technologies.
http://www.awid.org/eng/Issues-and-Analysis/Issues-and-Analysis/What-hav
e-we-done-to-Bodies-Wendy-Harcourt-s-Reflections-on-Body-Politics

Landmark meeting on discrimination against women held
Pambazuka News, 24 July 2009
A landmark meeting in New York, co-organized by the UN refugee agency,
has given important impetus to efforts to eradicate discrimination
against forcibly displaced and stateless females, including rape,
domestic violence and other abuses.
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/wgender/58024

Documenting Brutalities to Change the World
New York Times, Education Life, 22 July 2009
When you hear the word "survivor," you usually think of that reality TV
show pitting contestants against one another on some remote island. In
Rwanda, "survivor" refers to those who survived the genocide. I had the
privilege of visiting a survivor's village an hour outside of Kigali to
hear from women who have survived extreme sexual violence.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/education/edlife/26somalia.html?_r=1

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated
evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global
Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council,
South Africa. The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and
generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a
priority public health problem. If you want to know more about the SVRI
visit our website www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org/>  or contact us at