[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 19 05 11

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Thu May 19 15:34:50 SAST 2011

Dear SVRI List Members

This SVRI Update contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. If you would like to have your sexual violence related resources included in the Update, please send your materials to svri at mrc.ac.za <mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>  by close of business Wednesday. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org> .

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. Reminder! SVRI Forum 2011: Abstract Submissions Close 31 May 2011
II. SVRI Members Requests
III. Sexual Violence in the News
IV. Websites
V. Online Publications/Resources
VI. Journal Articles
VII. Events
VIII. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities
IX. Vacancies

I. Reminder! SVRI Forum 2011: Abstract Submissions Close 31 May 2011

Please note that abstract submissions for the SVRI Forum 2011: Moving the Agenda Forward, 10 - 13 October, Cape Town, South Africa, will close on 31 May 2011. Do not miss this valuable opportunity to be part of our international forum on sexual violence research. Submit your abstract online at: http://www.svri.org/forum2011/abstracts.htm <http://www.svri.org/forum2011/abstracts.htm> . Visit http://www.svri.org/forum2011/ <http://www.svri.org/forum2011/>  for more information. For questions or enquiries, email svri at mrc.ac.za <mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za> . We look forward to seeing you there!

II. SVRI Members Requests

1) Gender Based Violence Advisor, PAHO (Haiti):

PAHO is urgently looking for a GBV advisor in their Haiti office. Please circulate this advertisement to your networks and to suitable candidates you may know of. Anyone interested in this post can send their CVs to Chen Reis reisc at who.int <mailto:reisc at who.int>  and to Alessandra Guedes guedesal at paho.org <mailto:guedesal at paho.org> .

2) Survey: UN Action against Sexual Violence in Conflict:

As part of the knowledge building work of UN Action against Sexual Violence in Conflict (UN Action), the WHO, in collaboration with the Sexual Violence Research Initiative (SVRI) is supporting the development of a research agenda on sexual violence in conflict and post-conflict settings which will reflect agreement on key research priorities requiring concerted effort over the next 5 years.

A participatory process is envisioned and you are invited to provide feedback through a brief on-line survey that can be accessed through the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FR88K7R <https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FR88K7R>

3) Request for Opportunities to Study Linkages between Masculinity and Gender-Based Violence:

Noelle Rancourt is a freelance consultant and researcher based in Sierra Leone. She has been looking for opportunities to study the linkages between masculinity and gender violence in this context. She has a project proposal that has received preliminary approval for funding, for a provocative behavioural change campaign using boxers as role models against gender violence. If you know of opportunities for research fellowships, or of relevant funding opportunities, Noelle would appreciate your feedback. You can contact her directly at: noelle.rancourt at gmail.com <mailto:noelle.rancourt at gmail.com> .

4) WHO Consultation on the Technical Paper of the World Conference on Social Determinants of Health:

The WHO seeks your comments and feedback on the current draft of the Conference technical paper, which aims to inform the conference discussions and provide policy-makers with an overview of key strategies to implement action on social determinants of health. Comments are welcome until Friday 3 June 2011. Comments received after this date will, unfortunately, not be able to be considered. Go here to give your input using WHO's format http://www.who.int/sdhconference/consultation/en/index.html <http://www.who.int/sdhconference/consultation/en/index.html> .

III. Sexual Violence in the News

Anti-Rape Legal Experts Mobilize for Change in Haiti, Women News Network, 18 May 2011 <http://womennewsnetwork.net/2011/05/18/antirape-legal-experts-haiti/> : Images of Port-au-Prince, Haiti under massive death, destruction and rubble are starting to fade from the media, but conditions of squalor and psychological aftershocks remain as Haiti deals with a persistent crisis - an ongoing sexual violence directed against innocent women and girls.

Abuse Posters Help Indian Schoolgirls Speak Up, Women's eNews, 16 May 2011 <http://www.womensenews.org/story/education/110515/abuse-posters-help-indian-schoolgirls-speak> : Many of the girls who see posters about child sexual abuse inside their school buildings work in domestic-household jobs after school. The posters, teachers say, are spurring conversations about troubling encounters.

Rape Victims Left Feeling Hopeless, Inter Press Service News Agency, 16 May 2011 <http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=55658> : A recent verdict by Pakistan's Supreme Court has left rape victims feeling dejected and helpless, as lawyers warned it could set a bad precedent for other such cases in the future.

A Rite of Torture for Girls, New York Times, 11 May 2011 <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/12/opinion/12kristof.html?_r=3> : People usually torture those whom they fear or despise. But one of the most common forms of torture in the modern world, incomparably more widespread than waterboarding or electric shocks, is inflicted by mothers on daughters they love.

Nepal: Woe Unto Women Accused of Practicing Witchcraft, Straits Times, 5 May 2011 <http://www.peacewomen.org/news_article.php?id=3531&type=news> : Cases of violence against women on accusations of witchcraft have been reported one after another in the Nepali media recently.

Tahirih Wins Key Immigration Case, Tahirih Justice Center, 27 April 2011 <http://www.tahirih.org/2011/04/matter-of-a-t/> : Immigration Judge reverses himself in high-profile asylum case: acknowledges close connection between female genital mutilation and other threats to women's life and freedom.

IV. Websites

Promundo <http://www.promundo.org.br/en/> : Promundo is a Brazilian NGO that seeks to promote gender equality and end violence against women, children and youth.

The Child and Woman Abuse Studies Unit <http://www.cwasu.org> : This Unit forms part of the London Metropolitan University and is recognised as a centre of excellence, with an international reputation for research, evaluation, training and consultancy.

Human Development Indicators <http://www.huridocs.org/2011/05/human-development-indicators-now-accessible-online-through-google-public-data-explorer/> : In a move to provide greater global access to key human development indicators for all countries, Google's innovative Public Data Explorer will now feature the latest Human Development Index (HDI) figures and direct links to the extensive Human Development Report database of international development statistics. [Source: HURIDOCS].

The Paulo Longo Research Initiative <http://www.plri.org> : This collaboration of scholars, policy analysts and sex workers aim to develop, consolidate and disseminate ethical, interdisciplinary information about sex work.

V. Online Publications/Resource

Fact Sheets: Links Between Violence and Chronic Diseases, Mental Illness and Poor Learning. Prevention Institute, May 2011 <http://www.preventioninstitute.org/component/jlibrary/article/id-301/127.html> : These fact sheets describe how violence affects other health problems and community concerns, such as chronic diseases, mental illness and poor learning. [Source: UNITY].

Voices of Survivors: The Different Faces of Gun Violence. Lyddon L. IANSA Women's Network, May 2011 <http://www.iansa-women.org/sites/default/files/newsviews/iansa_wn_voices_of_survivors_2011_web.pdf> : This publication features 16 testimonies acquired by IANSA of women survivors of gun violence. The testimonies are from a number of different countries and the violence occurs in various contexts and situations. The one common denominator in all of these stories is the misuse of guns. [Source: WUNRN].

The First Pan-India Survey of Sex Workers: A Summary of Preliminary Findings. Rohini S and Shankar V.K. Paulo Longo Research Initiative, April 2011 <http://www.plri.org/sites/plri.org/files/Pan-India-Survey-of-Sex-workers.pdf> : This Pan-India survey pools a national sample divided by geographies, languages, sites of operation, migratory patterns, incomes, and cultures amongst other variables. [Source: AWID].

Approaches to Gender and Sexuality: Responding to HIV: Report on the Findings of a Survey among Alliance Linking Organisations. International HIV/AIDS Alliance, February 2011 <http://www.aidsalliance.org/includes/Publication/GenderAndSexualityReport.pdf> : This report maps current work; assess capacity, challenges and aspirations around gender and sexuality programming; and better understand the gender and sexuality context in which International HIV/AIDS Alliance partners work. [Source: WUNRN].

The Prevention and Management of HIV and Sexual and Gender-based Violence: Responding to the Needs of Survivors and Those-at-Risk. Population Council, January 2011 <http://www.popcouncil.org/pdfs/2011_HIVSGBVBrief.pdf> : This brief discusses how HIV and SGBV prevention programs should operate at to prevent and respond effectively to SGBV.

Toolkit for Intersecting Violences. Central America Women's Network, 2011 <http://www.cawn.org/11/index.htm> : This Toolkit is a companion to the CAWN report Intersecting Violences (2010) by Patricia Muñoz Cabrera which provides a review of feminist theories and debates relating to violence and poverty as they affect women, with a focus on Latin America. [Source: WUNRN].

Sakhi Saheli - Promoting Gender Equity and Empowering Young Women: A Training Manual. Population Council, 2008 <http://www.popcouncil.org/pdfs/horizons/India_SakhiSaheli_Eng.pdf> : This Manual aims to promote critical reflection among young women to recognize and understand how gender normative attitudes and behaviors affect their everyday lives and can result in increasing their vulnerability to HIV and other reproductive health problems.

VI. Journal Articles

Please note, to obtain a full copy of a journal article you may write to the author given as the contact person by the respective publishing house to request a copy.

Rape Stereotypes and Labeling: Awareness of Victimization and Trauma. Sarmiento I. Psychol. Rep; 108(1): 141-8, 2011 <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_292196_24> : This study in Italy comprised surveys of 210 participants who were asked to express their opinions on 2 scenarios of sexual assault (a forced rape and an acquaintance rape). [Source: SafetyLit]. http://www.safetylit.org/week/2011/110515.pdf <http://www.safetylit.org/week/2011/110515.pdf>

"Trauma of Rape" Discourse: A Double-Edged Template for Everyday Understandings of the Impact of Rape? Gavey N, Schmidt J. Violence Against Women; ePub, 2011 <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_274734_20> : This article maps a discourse of the trauma of rape that was widely drawn upon by 29 "lay" New Zealand women and men in focus group discussions about the impact of rape. [Source: SafetyLit].

The Development of a Brief Acceptance and Mindfulness-Based Program Aimed at Reducing Sexual Revictimization among College Women With a History of Childhood Sexual Abuse. Hill J.M, Vernig P.M, Lee J.K, Brown C, Orsillo S.M. J. Clin. Psychol; ePub, 2011 <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_292673_24> : This article examines the efficacy of a brief mindfulness-based program in reducing rates of sexual assault and revictimization in college women over the course of an academic semester. [Source: SafetyLit].

A Rhetoric of Retribution and Redemption: Burke's Terms for Order in the Drama of Child Sexual Abuse. Schultz P.D. Int. J. Law Psychiatry; ePub, 2011: <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_293243_23>  This paper uses Kenneth Burke's interpretative framework to examine the social and legal perceptions and treatment of child sexual abusers. [Source: SafetyLit].

Challenges Experienced by Service Providers in the Delivery of Medico-Legal Services to Survivors of Sexual Violence in Kenya. Ajema C, Mukoma W, Kilonzo N, Bwire B, Otwombe K. J. Forensic Leg. Med; 18(4): 162-6, 2011 <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_293322_28> : This study examines some of the obstacles in Kenya to the adequate handling of forensic evidence in sexual violence cases. [Source: SafetyLit].

The Relationships between Perceived Levels of Control, Psychological Distress, and Legal System Variables in a Sample of Sexual Assault Survivors. Walsh R.M, Bruce S.E. Violence against Women; ePub, 2011 <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_280985_28> : This article presents information regarding psychological distress, perceived levels of temporal control, legal system success and satisfaction ratings from survivors of sexual assault. [Source: SafetyLit].

>From Offender to Situation: The 'Cold' Approach to Sexual Violence Prevention? Hebenton B. Int. J. Law Psychiatry; ePub, 2011 <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_292587_37> : This paper analyses the conceptual and empirical underpinnings a 'cold' situational approach, evaluates existing studies across settings, and assesses the implications of this problem-solving process for prevention policy and practice. [Source: SafetyLit].

Prevention of Sexual Violence by Those Who Have Been Sexually Violent. Slobogin C. Int. J. Law Psychiatry; ePub, 2011 <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_293245_37> : This article argues that indeterminate sentencing is the optimal means of preventing recidivism among sex offenders, both as an instrumental matter and jurisprudentially. [Source: SafetyLit].

Dynamic Risk Groups among Adult Male Sexual Offenders. Seto M.C, Fernandez Y.M. Sex Abuse; ePub, 2011 <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_293260_20> : In the present study, the 16-item Stable-2000 was used to identify different dynamic risk groups among 419 adult male sexual offenders who were referred for assessments between 2000 and 2007. [Source: SafetyLit].

Prevalence and Correlates of Forced Sex Perpetration and Victimization in Botswana and Swaziland. Tsai A, Leiter K, Wolfe W, Heisler M, Shannon K, Phaladze N, Hlanze Z, Lacopino V, Weiser S. Am. J. Public Health; ePub, 2011 <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_281005_20> : This article seeks to identify correlates of forced sex perpetration among men and victimization among women in Botswana and Swaziland. [Source: SafetyLit].

A Systematic Review of Prevalence Studies of Gender-Based Violence in Complex Emergencies. Stark L, Ager A. Trauma Violence Abuse; ePub, 2011 <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_292059_20> : This article provides a systematic review of published literature that represents attempts to quantify the magnitude of gender-based violence in emergency settings. [Source: SafetyLit].

VII. Events

UN Women-Africa Consultative Conference, 29- 31 May 2011 Kigali, Rwanda <mailto:info at moremiinitiative.org> . UN Women-Africa, under the auspices of the Imbutu Foundation and in partnership with Moremi Initiative for Women's Leadership in Africa is convening a three-day consultative conference with key stakeholders on youth development and empowerment in Africa. For information on this event, contact: info at moremiinitiative.org <mailto:info at moremiinitiative.org> . [Source: WUNRN].

Webinar: From Data to Prevention: Framing Sexual and Domestic Violence Prevention Impact from a Cost-Effectiveness Perspective, 8 June 2011 <http://www.preventconnect.org/display/displayTextItems.cfm?itemID=331&sectionID=248> . In this webinar, we will share a simple, 6-step process for framing how to evaluate prevention work and how invested resources are producing meaningful outcomes for ending violence against women.

CWASU Conference, 1 July 2011, London, United Kingdom <http://www.cwasu.org/page_display.asp?pageid=&pagekey=146> . The Child and Woman Abuse Studies Unit are holding a one day conference to presenting new research on VAW from staff and students. A limited number of free places are available for voluntary sector agencies and students on a first come, first served basis.

SASA! ToT Learning Event 25-29 July 2011, Kampala, Uganda <http://raisingvoices.org/sasa/tot.php> . Applicants from the Horn, East and Southern Africa that are interested in implementing a community mobilization program to prevent violence against women and HIV using the SASA! Activist Kit for Preventing Violence against Women and HIV are invited to apply. This is a 5 day intense, participatory learning event for 25 program managers/senior staff of organizations using or interested in using SASA! Download details about the event and the application form at http://raisingvoices.org/sasa/tot.php <http://raisingvoices.org/sasa/tot.php> . Deadline for applications is 30th May 2011.

International Workshop Gender Training, 25-29 July 2011, Ottawa,Canada <http://www.awid.org/Library/Gender-Training2> . The gender training workshop seeks to provide workshop participants with core concepts, gender analytic frameworks and gender strategies that can improve the effectiveness of your organization, programmes and projects in working with vulnerable and marginalized women and men, boys and girls. [Source: AWID].

Sexual Violence Conference, 8 September 2011, London, United Kingdom <http://www.mdx.ac.uk/aboutus/Schools/hssc/psychology/fps/Copy_of_index.aspx> . The provisional conference program and booking forms for the half-day masterclass with Professor Moira Carmody (University of Western Sydney) on Sex and Ethics Violence Prevention Programmes are now available online. Make sure to book your place as space is limited. For any queries, email the conference organisers Drs Jackie Gray (j.gray at mdx.ac.uk <mailto:j.gray at mdx.ac.uk> ) , Susan Hansen (s.hansen at mdx.ac.uk <mailto:s.hansen at mdx.ac.uk> ) or Miranda Horvath (m.horvath at mdx.ac.uk <mailto:m.horvath at mdx.ac.uk> ).

16th International Conference on Violence, Abuse and Trauma, 11 - 14 September 2011, San Diego, USA <http://www.ivatcenters.org/> . This Conference is a unique forum for people from all disciplines and philosophies to gather for in-depth exchange of current information on all facets of violence, abuse and trauma prevention, intervention and research. Conference registration is now open. [Source: Big Voice Pictures]

For more events visit: http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm <http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm>

VIII. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities

Fellowship Opportunity: Rotary Peace Fellowship <http://www.rotary.org/en/StudentsAndYouth/EducationalPrograms/RotaryCentersForInternationalStudies/Pages/ridefault.aspx> . The Rotary Foundation is now accepting applications for the Rotary Peace Fellowship. The fellowship provides academic and practical training to prepare scholars for leadership roles in solving conflicts around the world. Deadline for applications: August 15, 2011. [Source: AWID].

Fellowship Opportunity: Anti-Discrimination Section of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights <http://www.awid.org/Library/Call-for-Application-Fellowship-Programme-for-People-of-African-Descent> . This Programme for People of African Descent will run from 10 October to 4 November 2011. The Programme will provide participants with the opportunity to deepen their understanding of the United Nations Human Rights system and its mechanisms, with a focus on issues of particular relevance to people of African descent. Deadline for applications: June 15, 2011. [Source: AWID].

Fellowship Opportunity: Dart Ochberg Fellowships <http://dartcenter.org/content/applications-open-for-ochberg-fellowships?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Ochberg%20Fellowship&utm_content=Ochberg%20Fellowship%20CID_4bc8e2602f91ea5588c3c0b487928f7e&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=Applications> . Applications are now open for an intensive program, to be held in Baltimore 31 October to 5 November 2011, designed to help mid-career journalists improve coverage of traumatic events. Deadline for entries is July 27, 2011. [Source: Dart Centre].

Call for Papers: SAFAids. <http://www.safaids.net>  SAfAIDS News and Noticias SIDA invites papers or articles for the next issue of their newsletter. The newsletter will target: Professionals working in the HIV and AIDS sector; Staff in ASOs, NGOs, FBOs, government bodies, United Nations agencies and universities in the region; - Policy makers; and Community based organisations. For more information, contact: editor at safaids.org.zw <mailto:editor at safaids.org.zw> .

SVRI Funding Links Page: For details on funders who have funding sources available for research on sexual violence visit: http://www.svri.org/funding.htm <http://www.svri.org/funding.htm>

IX. Vacancies

Sexual and Gender Based Violence Expert <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Sexual-and-Gender-Based-Violence-Expert>  / Development & Training Services, Inc. / Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Gender Specialist <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Gender-Specialist>  / Development & Training Services, Inc. / Location:  MENA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Policy Analyst - Gender Equality (two positions) <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Policy-Analyst-Gender-Equality-two-positions>  / The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) / Paris, France / Closing date: May 25, 2011. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Chief Operating Officer <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Chief-Operating-Officer>  / The White House Project / New York, NY, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Senior Gender Specialist <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Gender-Specialist>  / TechnoServe / Northern Nigeria. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Senior Policy Analyst <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Policy-Analyst-Staff-Attorney>  / Staff Attorney / The International Labor Rights Forum (ILRF) / Washington, DC, USA / Closing date: May 30, 2011. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Consultant: Technical Assistance for National Solidarity Program (NSP) Training and Capacity Building <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Consultant-Technical-Assistance-for-National-Solidarity-Program-NSP-Training-and-Capacity-Building>  / The National Solidarity Program, Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation & Development (MRRD) / Kabul, Afghanistan / Closing date: May 21, 2011. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Director, Monitoring and Evaluation <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Director-Monitoring-and-Evaluation>  / Vital Voices Global Partnership / Washington, DC, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Program Associate <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Program-Associate>  / Women's Learning Partnership (WLP) / Bethesda, MD, USA / Closing date: May 31, 2011. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Director, GIRL Project <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Director-GIRL-Project>  / Save the Children / Washington, DC, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Director of Individual Gifts <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Director-of-Individual-Gifts>  / The Center for Reproductive Rights / New York, NY, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Regional Manager for Asia <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Regional-Manager-for-Asia2>  / The Center for Reproductive Rights / Location: Nepal, Thailand or Singapore / Closing date: May 31, 2011. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Regional Program Coordinator <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Regional-Program-Coordinator>  / JASS (Just Associates) Southeast Asia / Jakarta, Indonesia / Closing date: May 31, 2011. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Part-time Program Coordinator <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Part-time-Program-Coordinator>  / The Women's Media Center (WMC) / New York, NY, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Program Officer <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Program-Officer-Senior-Program-Officer-Latin-America> /Senior Program Officer, Latin America / EMpower / New York, NY, USA / Closing date: June 6, 2011. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Country Director <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Country-Director>  / War Child Canada / Khartoum, Sudan / Closing date: May 24, 2011. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Social Media and Communications Internship <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Social-Media-and-Communications-Internship>  /Gender at Work/ Toronto, ON, Canada. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Haiti Coordinator <http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Haiti-Coordinator>  / MADRE / New York, NY, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday 15 May 2011].

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org <http://www.svri.org>  or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za <mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>