[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 23 08 12

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Thu Aug 23 17:05:23 SAST 2012

Dear SVRI List Members

This SVRI Update contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. If you would like to have your sexual violence related resources included in the Update, please send your materials to svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za> by close of business Wednesday. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org>.
Please note that all of our Updates are also accessible on our Facebook Notes<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sexual-Violence-Research-Initiative/71822396561> page.

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. Sexual Violence in the News
II. Websites
III. Online Publications/Resources
IV. Journal Articles
V. Events
VI. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities
VII. Vacancies

I. Sexual Violence in the News

Human Trafficking Bill Out for Public Consultation, BBC News, 21 August 2012<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19333174>: In Scotland, Labour MSP Rhoda Grant believes criminalising those who use prostitutes would reduce demand for their services. But her bid to get a ban fast-tracked through the Holyrood parliament was rejected in June.

Phone App Puts Friends and Safety a Tap Away, Women's eNews, 20 August 2012<http://womensenews.org/story/women-in-science/120819/phone-app-puts-friends-and-safety-tap-away>: Location-based technology allows smartphone users to instantly tell friends when and where something is going wrong. Developers have been concentrating on college students but some are starting to aim at younger ages, when abuse often starts.

Impunity for violence against women is a global concern, The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, 14 August 2012<http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/ImpunityForVAWGlobalConcern.aspx>: Governments are urged to act with due diligence to prevent and investigate violence against women and girls, prosecute perpetrators and provide protection and redress to victims.

Somalia: Activists Laud Ban on FGM/C, Say Implementation Will Require More, IRIN News, 13 August 2012<http://www.irinnews.org/Report/96092/SOMALIA-Activists-laud-ban-on-FGM-C-say-implementation-will-require-more>: Activists have welcomed a ban on female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/C) in the new constitution of Somalia - a country where 96 percent of women undergo one of the more extreme forms of the practice - but warn that translating the law into action will require more than just a legal declaration.

Victory for Women in Namibia, Open Society Foundation, 13 August 2012<http://www.soros.org/voices/victory-women-namibia?utm_source=Open+Society+Institute&utm_campaign=80cd064500-news-20120815&utm_medium=email>: In a landmark decision, Namibia's High Court has ruled that the government violated the rights of three HIV-positive women when medical personnel at public hospitals sterilized the women without their consent.

Rape Cases Hard to Bring in Georgia, Institute for War and Peace Reporting, 10 August 2012<http://iwpr.net/report-news/rape-cases-hard-bring-georgia>: As the Georgian parliament looks at ways of combating sexual violence more effectively, rights activists say official figures seriously understate the scale of the problem, as victims often have a hard time bringing cases.

II. Websites

bianet<http://www.bianet.org/english/gender/134394-bianet-is-monitoring-male-violence>: This website keeps account of the stream of male violence that is reported in news agencies, national and local media in Turkey every day to lay bare the extent of violence against women. [Source: AWID].

HIV Prevention Knowledge Base<http://www.aidstar-one.com/focus_areas/prevention/pkb/combination_approaches/overview_combination_prevention?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=social&utm_content=PKBCOMBOPREV&utm_campaign=Afro>: AIDSTAR-One has recently updated their collection of research and tools to help find what works in HIV prevention. [Source: Afro-nets].

The National Center for Medical Home Implementation<http://www.medicalhomeinfo.org/>: This organisation ensures that all children and youth, including children with special needs, have a medical home where health care services are accessible, family-centered, continuous, comprehensive, coordinated, compassionate, and culturally competent.  [Source: Friendsnrc].

Stand4Respect<http://www.stand4respect.org/>: This campaign by the Indiana Coalition against Domestic Violence brings together a group of Indiana youth to tell the adults in their lives about the prevalence and impact of teen dating violence. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

VAWNet.org Special Collection: Capacity Building for Domestic Violence Prevention Programming<http://www.vawnet.org/special-collections/DVPreventionCapacity.php>: This collection provides materials to support the work of building this capacity for primary prevention work - primarily on the organizational level, but also as it relates to assessing and influencing change in individuals, communities, and institutions. [Prevent-Connect].

III. Online Publications/Resources

Feminist Movement Builders' Dictionary. Just Associates, 2012<http://www.justassociates.org/publications_files/Dictionary_2012.pdf>: This dictionary serves as vehicle for the political act of defining our world based on a distinct feminist political perspective - one that recognizes how distortions in social, economic, and political power and privilege form the basis of inequality and injustice. [Source: AWID].

Global Journal of Medicine and Public Health<http://www.gjmedph.org/SubmitManuscript.aspx>: This peer reviewed, open access journal, with an international editorial board commits to rapid publication of articles in all fields of Medicine and Public Health. Submit your article online, or contact gjmedph at gmail.com<mailto:gjmedph at gmail.com> to become a reviewer. [Source: GJMPH].

Video: Side by Side --Women, Peace and Security, UN Women, 2012: <http://www.unwomen.org/2012/07/new-un-women-documentary-launched-on-women-conflict-and-peacekeeping/> This documentary was jointly developed by the Australian Government's Australian Civil-Military Centre and UN Women. "Side by Side -- Women, Peace and Security" explores how the international community has and can meet its commitments on women, peace and security. The 30-minute documentary features an introduction by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, as well as interviews with United Nations personnel, peacekeepers, mediators, humanitarian actors, policy makers and survivors of conflict. [Source: IGWG].

IV. Journal Articles

Please note, to obtain a full copy of a journal article you may write to the author given as the contact person by the respective publishing house to request a copy.

>From Crime Scene Actions in Stranger Rape to Prediction of Rapist Type: Single-Victim or Serial Rapist? Corovic J, Christianson S.A and Bergman L.R. Behav. Sci. Law, ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_370717_37>: This article examines the differences in crime scene actions in cases of stranger rape committed by convicted offenders between 31 single-victim rapists and 35 serial rapists. [Source: SafetyLit].

The Child PTSD Symptom Scale: Psychometric Properties in Female Adolescent Sexual Assault Survivors. Gillihan S.J, Aderka I.M, Conklin P.H, Capaldi S, Foa E.B. Psychol. Assess, ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_373247_24>: This study examines the psychometric properties of the interview (CPSS-I) and self-report (CPSS-SR) administrations of the CPSS in a sample of 91 female youths with sexual abuse-related PTSD. [Source: SafetyLit].

Alcohol Use and Client-Perpetrated Sexual Violence against Female Sex Workers in China. Zhang C, Li X, Stanton B, Hong Y, Chen Y, Shan Q, Liu W and Zhou Y. Psychol. Health Med, ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_373878_1>: The current study is aimed to fill in the literature gap by examining the association between alcohol use by FSWs and client-perpetrated sexual violence against FSWs in China. [Source: SafetyLit].

The Forgiveness Process in Primary and Secondary Victims of Violent and Sexual Offences. Cooney A, Allan A, Allan M.M, McKillop D and Drake D.G. Aust. J. Psychol, 63(2): 107-118, 2011<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_373843_28>: This article examines the forgiveness process in primary and secondary victims of violent and sexual crimes. [Source: SafetyLit].

Addressing Sexual and Relationship Violence in the LGBT Community Using a Bystander Framework. Potter S.J, Fountain K and Stapleton J.G. Harv. Rev. Psychiatry, 20(4): 201-208, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_374282_20>: In this article, the authors review published bystander prevention strategies that focus on preventing sexual and relationship violence in the campus community, and discuss how bystander strategies are addressing or can address relationship and sexual violence in the LGBT community. [Source: SafetyLit].

Dating Violence Victimization across the Teen Years: Abuse Frequency, Number of Abusive Partners, and Age at First Occurrence. Bonomi A.E, Anderson M, Nemeth J, Bartle-Haring S, Buettner C, Schipper D. BMC Public Health, 12(1): 637, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_374005_24>: This article queries adolescents about their experiences of dating violence from age 13 to 19--including dating violence types (physical, sexual, and psychological), frequency, age at first occurrence, and number of abusive partners. [Source: SafetyLit].

A Lifetime Experience of Violence and Adverse Reproductive Outcomes: Findings from Population Surveys in India. Yoshikawa K, Agrawal N.R, Poudel K.C, Jimba M. Biosci. Trends, 6(3): 115-121, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_373995_28>: The current study analyses the National Family Health Survey 3, which contained detailed information on types of violence in relation to the single question of pregnancy outcomes. [Source: SafetyLit].

V. Events

Webinar: Bystander Intervention: Using social media to build bystander action to prevent violence, 5 September 2012<http://preventconnect.org/2012/08/bystander-intervention-using-social-media-to-build-bystander-action-to-prevent-violence/>. Earlier this year, hundreds of people gathered at the Bystander Intervention: From its roots to the road ahead conference in Boston. In order to keep the momentum of strengthening bystander approaches to prevent violence, PreventConnect is collaborating with Mentors in Violence Prevention and the National Sexual Violence Resource Center to continue the dialogue about taking action in our communities. This web conference will focus on how social media can be a tool to build bystander action. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

Transforming Masculinities for Gender Justice - Training of Trainers Workshop, 5 - 8 November 2012, Bangkok, Thailand<http://www.partners4prevention.org/news/call-applications-transforming-masculinities-gender-justice-training-trainers-workshop>. Are you a trainer working for gender justice? Do you want to... strengthen your skills to promote gender justice and prevent violence? Deepen your knowledge to understand power and transform masculinities? Inspire activism and influence change? Applications are now being accepted for the Transforming Masculinities for Gender Justice Training of Trainers Workshop. Applications close: 19 September 2012. [Source: Partners for Prevention].

CEDAW for Change: 1 Week Intensive Institute, 5 - 9 November 2012, Toronto, Canada<http://www.awid.org/Library/CEDAW-For-Change>. This one-week women's human rights education institute is designed to cultivate a better understanding of the principles of non-discrimination and equality. Participants will be helped to frame issues they are working on within a human rights framework from a gender perspective. Deadline for applications: 8 September 2012 (requiring visa assistance), 12 October 2012 (for those not requiring a visa). [Source: AWID].

For more events visit: http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm

VI. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities

Funding Opportunity The Indigenous Women's Fund of the International Indigenous Women's Forum<http://www.womensfundingnetwork.org/the-network/member/the-indigenous-womens-fund-of-the-international-indigenous-women%E2%80%99s-forum>. This grantmaking body provides long-term and flexible funding for Indigenous women's organisations. Visit the website for current grant programmes. [Source: WUNRN].

Funding Opportunity: Red Umbrella Fund<http://www.mamacash.org/red-umbrella-fund/>. This fund is the first-ever global grantmaking collaborative guided by and for sex workers. The fund was launched this year to support movements and organisations fighting for sex workers' health, human and labour rights and self-determination. Deadline for applications: 15 September 2012. [Source: AWID].

Call for Nominations: 21 Leaders for the 21st Century<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Calls-for-Participation2/Call-for-Nominations-21-Leaders-for-the-21st-Century>. Women's eNews is proud to extend the invitation to nominate individuals who work - personally or professionally - each day to improve the lives of women and girls around the world to you, Women's eNews avid readers and supporters. Deadline for nominations: 15 September 2012. [Source: AWID].

SVRI Funding Links Page: For details on funders who have funding sources available for research on sexual violence visit: http://www.svri.org/funding.htm

VII. Vacancies

Chief Information Technology Officer, Assistant Secretary-General<mailto:ousg-dm at un.org> / United Nations / Global / Closing date: September 17, 2012. [Source: United Nations].

Senior Advocacy Officer<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Advocacy-Officer> / The Open Society Foundations / London, UK / Closing date: September 13, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

Natural Resources and Human Rights Program Officer<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Natural-Resources-and-Human-Rights-Program-Officer> / Global Rights / Abuja, Nigeria / Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

Internship: Trans Rights in Europe<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Internship-Trans-Rights-in-Europe> / INTERIGHTS / London, UK / Closing date: September 3, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

GBV Advisor - MENA<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/GBV-Advisor-MENA> / Norwegian Refugee Council / Location: Roving / Apply ASAP. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

Stigma, Discrimination and Gender Intern<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Stigma-Discrimination-and-Gender-Intern> / The International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) / Washington, DC, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

Development Coordinator<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Development-Coordinator> / The Women's Refugee Commission / New York, NY, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

Researcher/Adviser, Refugee and Migrants' Rights<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Researcher-Adviser-Refugee-and-Migrants-Rights> / Amnesty International (AI) / London, UK / Closing date: August 26, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

Postdoctoral Fellowship in Digital Humanities and New Media<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Postdoctoral-Fellowship-in-Digital-Humanities-and-New-Media> / The Institute for Women's and Gender Studies (IWGS), the University of Winnipeg / Winnipeg, MB, Canada / Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

Senior Programme Officer & Researcher<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Programme-Officer-Researcher> / International Planned Parenthood Federation / Western Hemisphere Region (IPPF/WHR) / New York, NY, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

Trainee, Women and War Sector<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Trainee-Women-and-War-Sector> / The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) / Geneva, Switzerland / Closing date: August 28, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

Communications Director<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Communications-Director> / Equality Now / New York, NY, USA / Deadline extended to August 31, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 20 August 2012].

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>