[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 14 12 2012

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Fri Dec 14 09:10:18 SAST 2012

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CDD9DA.D5945B20]

Dear SVRI List members,
To follow is a shorter than normal Update highlighting two important activities of the SVRI that we would like to bring to your attention. A full and final Update for the year will be sent out on Thursday 20th December. Please note that the SVRI will be closed from 21 December 2012 - 2 January 2013.
I. New Extended Deadline: SVRI Call for Expressions of Interest To Test and Adapt Promising Interventions in Low- and Middle Income Countries
II. SVRI Forum 2013: Evidence into Action, Bangkok, Thailand, 14 - 17 October 2013
I. New Extended Deadline: SVRI Call for Expressions of Interest To Test and Adapt Promising Interventions in Low- and Middle Income Countries:  We have been advised that due to the holiday season, we should extend the deadline for applications to 6 January 2013. Those of you who have already sent in your applications do not need to reapply.  We will acknowledge receipt of all applications. Through this project the SVRI will work with successful applicants to strengthen the evidence base for primary prevention of gender based violence in low and middle income countries (LMIC) by supporting the adaptation and testing of promising interventions for the primary prevention of GBV through the following approaches: parenting interventions to prevent exposure to adverse childhood events, and prevention of GBV in schools to address gender inequitable masculinities. Send in your application by 6 January 2013 to Elizabeth.dartnall at mrc.ac.za<mailto:Elizabeth.dartnall at mrc.ac.za> or svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>.  The full call for expressions of interest is also available online at: http://www.svri.org/CallExpressionofInterests.pdf
II. Save the Date! SVRI Forum 2013: Evidence into Action, Bangkok, Thailand, 14 - 17 October 2013:  [cid:image003.jpg at 01CDD9DA.D5945B20] The Sexual Violence Research Initiative is proud to announce the 3rd international conference on sexual violence research, SVRI Forum 2013<http://www.svri.org/forum2013/>. The aim of SVRI Forum 2013 is to promote promising practices for preventing and responding to sexual and intimate partner violence. The Forum 2013 will be co-hosted by Partners for Prevention<http://www.partners4prevention.org/>.  The scope of the SVRI Forum will expand in 2013 to include both sexual violence and intimate partner violence. This extension of the scope of the SVRI Forum encourages examination of the overlapping nature of these acts of violence.  The SVRI Forum 2013 will also link the child protection and SGBV fields and promote cross-sectoral dialogue and exchange on primary prevention of child abuse and neglect especially when linked to  future prevention of sexual violence perpetration and victimization.  In the coming weeks we will give more details about the venue, call for abstracts, pre-conference workshops, prize-giving and more. If you have any queries, please contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>.  Visit the conference website at: http://www.svri.org/forum2013<http://www.svri.org/forum2013/>. We look forward to seeing you in Thailand!

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org> or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>