[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 03 02 12

Sexual Violence Research Initiative Gender.Health at mrc.ac.za
Fri Feb 3 12:48:46 SAST 2012

[svri]

Dear SVRI List Members

This SVRI Update contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. If you would like to have your sexual violence related resources included in the Update, please send your materials to svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za> by close of business Wednesday. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org>.

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. Sexual Violence in the News
II. Websites
III. Online Publications/Resources
IV. Journal Articles
V. Events
VI. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities
VII. Vacancies

I. Sexual Violence in the News

Guatemala Heeds the Cries of Femicide Victims, Inter Press Service News Agency, 31 January 2012<http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=106607>: The relentless wave of femicides in Guatemala, which has one of the highest female murder rates in the world, has prompted actions by the government, civil society groups, and two Nobel Peace laureates to try to put a stop to this brutal violence against women, which has reached horrific proportions.

Action Plan to Address Violence against Women, Pro Bono News, 25 January 2012<http://www.probonoaustralia.com.au/news/2012/01/action-plan-address-violence-against-women>: The plan, to be consistent with the United Nations Declaration on the Elimination of Violence Against Women, will affirm that violence against women constitutes a violation of the fundamental rights and freedoms of women.

Cameroon: Sexual Violence Victims Confront Legal Gauntlet , Women's eNews, 25 January 2012<http://womensenews.org/story/rape/120124/cameroon-rape-victims-confront-legal-gauntlet>: Rape victims in Cameroon can get medical treatment at hospitals and file a police report to set a case in motion, but providing evidence to prove that rape occurred can be difficult. Others don't report incidents at all because of poverty or shame.

Exclusive: Letting Girls Be Girls-A Global Campaign, The Women's Media Centre, 25 January 2012<http://womensmediacenter.com/blog/2012/01/exclusive-letting-girls-be-girls%E2%80%94a-global-campaign/>: Every year, all over the world, 10 million girls are forcibly married before the age of 18, many as young as 12 years old. That is more than 25,000 girls a day. "I knew that there was an institution of child marriage," said Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa.

State Asked to Become Guardian in Honour Killing Cases, Pakistan Today, 17 January 2012<http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2012/01/state-asked-to-become-guardian-in-honour-killing-cases/>: Condemning the practice of honour killing, the speakers at a documentary launching ceremony on Tuesday demanded the government ensure justice to the victims by becoming a guardian in the honor killing cases.

Letting Victims Define Justice, Restorative Justice Online, 21 December 2011<http://www.restorativejustice.org/RJOB/letting-victims-define-justice?utm_source=RJ+ONLINE+UPDATE&utm_campaign=91802b2627-RJ_Online_February_20121_31_2012&utm_medium=email>: There is a growing myth that for victims, justice requires tougher penalties. If only it was that simple. There is no evidence that punishment is as important to the majority of victims as some would have us believe.

II. Websites

Sexuality Policy Watch<http://www.sxpolitics.org/?cat=1>: This global forum undertakes projects such as global research study on trends in sexuality, policies and politics; political activism; building strategic partnerships with social actors working on sexual rights in key policy arenas; and publishing policy analyses and other materials to address issues of sexuality politics.

(Wo)Men Speak Out<http://www.womenspeakoutnow.com/>: This non-profit organization is dedicated to eradicating rape, sexual assault and gender violence. The organisation seeks to educate both men and women, cultivating healthy relationships and gender equity.

Stop Abuse Campaign<http://stopabusecampaign.com/>: This campaign educates and enables a popular, grassroots movement to stop abuse as well as igniting conversations about abuse so that people start talking and sharing and becoming more involved as a community.

III. Online Publications/Resources

Mobilising Men in Practice: Challenging Sexual and Gender-based Violence in Institutional Settings: Tools, Stories, Lessons. Institute of Development Studies, 2012<http://www.ids.ac.uk/files/dmfile/MobilisingMeninPracticeonlinefinal.pdf>: Through exploring ways of engaging men as gender activists within their every-day contexts, the Mobilising Men programme is working to better understand what it takes to confront sexual and gender-based violence in institutional settings. [Source: Zunia].

Conflict-Related Sexual Violence: Report of the Secretary-General. General Assembly, Sixty-sixth session, Agenda item 34: Prevention of armed conflict. UN Secretary General, 2012<http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/country,,,,LKA,,4f27a19c2,0.html>: The present report, which covers the period from December 2010 to November 2011, is submitted pursuant to paragraph 18 of Security Council resolution 1960 (2010), by which the Council requested me to submit a report on the implementation of that resolution, as well as resolutions 1820 (2008) and 1888 (2009).

Partners 4 Prevention, January 2012 Newsletter<http://www.partners4prevention.org/files/documents/january_2012_p4p_newsletter.pdf>: This newsletter contains some of P4P's highlights over the past couple of months such as the first national survey results for The Change Project - Bangladesh.

Podcast: Primary Prevention with Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Prevent Connect, 2012<http://preventconnect.org/2012/01/primary-prevention-students-autism-spectrum-disorders/>: In this podcast, Mary Worthington describes her agency's prevention curriculum for students with autism spectrum disorders. This program was featured in the 2011 report Innovations in Prevention from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. [Source: Prevent Connect].

Map the Gap: The postcode lottery of Violence against Women support services in Britain. Coy C, Kelly L and Foord J. End Violence against Women and  Equality and Human Rights Commission, 2012<http://www.endviolenceagainstwomen.org.uk/data/files/map_of_gaps2.pdf>: This new report shows that in many parts of the country, services for women who have experienced violence are chronically under-funded or simply do not exist. [Source: Zunia Update].

Female genital cutting: current practices and beliefs in western Africa Sipsma H.L, Chen P.G, Ofori-Atta A, Ilozumba U.O, Karfod K and Bradleya E.H. WHO Bulletin, January 2012<http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/90/2/11-090886.pdf>: This article conducts a cross-national comparative study of the prevalence and correlates of female genital cutting (FGC) practices and beliefs in western Africa.

Discourse on Prostitution and Human Trafficking in the Context of UEFA EURO 2012: Academic Study of Discourse and Campaigns in the Run-Up to the 2012 European Football Championship Finals as the Basis for Advising Decision-Makers. Schuster M, Sülzle A, and Zimowska A. UEFA, 2011<http://lastradainternational.org/lsidocs/Disourse%20on%20prostitution%20and%20human%20trafficking%20in%20the%20context%20of%20UEFA%20EURO%202012.pdf>: This study focuses on the themes of sex work, sex tourism and human trafficking in the UEFA EURO 2012 host countries, Poland and Ukraine. [Source: Zunia Update].

IV. Journal Articles

Please note, to obtain a full copy of a journal article you may write to the author given as the contact person by the respective publishing house to request a copy.

Injection Drug Use, Sexual Risk, Violence and STI/HIV among Moscow female sex workers.  Decker M.R, Wirtz A.L, Baral S.D, Peryshkina A, Mogilnyi V, Weber R.A, Stachowiak J, Go V, Beyrer C.  Sex Transm Infect, ePub ahead of print, 2012<http://sti.bmj.com/content/early/2012/01/27/sextrans-2011-050171.abstract>: This article evaluates the prevalence of STI/HIV among Moscow-based FSWs and potential risk factors including IDU, sexual risks and violence victimisation.

"Because He has Bought for Her, He Wants to Sleep with Her": Alcohol as a Currency for Sexual Exchange in South African Drinking Venues. Watt M.H,  Aunon F.M, Skinner D, Sikkema K.J, Kalichman S.C and Pieterse D. Social Science & Medicine, ePub, 2012<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953612000445>: This study aims to better understand the practice of exchanging alcohol for sex in alcohol-serving venues in a township in Cape Town, South Africa. [Source: Science Direct].

The Problem of Untested Sexual Assault Kits: Why Are Some Kits Never Submitted to a Crime Laboratory? Patterson D, Campbell R. J. Interpers. Violence; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_342131_37>: The purpose of this exploratory study is twofold: (a) to examine the percentage of SAKs law enforcement submits to crime labs in cases in which a sexual assault nurse examiner (SANE) performed the exam with adult victims and (b) to explore whether assault and law enforcement characteristics predict whether SAKs are submitted to a crime lab. [Source: SafetyLit].

Adolescent Sexual Risk and Multiple Contexts : Interpersonal Violence, Parenting, and Poverty. Rodgers K.B, McGuire J.K. J. Interpers. Violence; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_342124_24>: the combined effects of violence experiences, parenting processes, and community poverty on sexual onset, alcohol or other drug use at last sex, multiple sex partners, and prior pregnancy in a sample of 7th-, 9th-, and 11th-grade adolescents and the subsample of sexually experienced adolescents. [Source: SafetyLit].

Association between Childhood Sexual Abuse and Transactional Sex in Youth Aging Out of Foster Care. Ahrens K.R, Katon W, McCarty C, Richardson L.P, Courtney M.E. Child Abuse Negl; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_342001_24>: This article evaluates the association between history of childhood sexual abuse (CSA) and having transactional sex among adolescents who have been in foster care. [Source: SafetyLit].

Can We Distinguish Juvenile Violent Sex Offenders, Violent Non-Sex Offenders, and Versatile Violent Sex Offenders Based on Childhood Risk Factors? Wanklyn S.G, Ward A.K, Cormier N.S, Day D.M and Newman J.E. J. Interpers. Violence; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_342133_24>: This article compares childhood risk factors for three groups of juvenile offenders: (a) pure sex offenders; (b) violent non-sex offenders; and (c) versatile violent sex offenders. [Source: SafetyLit].

>From Child Maltreatment to Violent Offending: An Examination of Mixed-Gender and Gender-Specific Models. Topitzes J, Mersky J.P, Reynolds A.J. J. Interpers. Violence; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_342118_24>: This study analyzes associations between child maltreatment and a number of adult measures of violent offending within mixed-gender and gender-specific models. [Source: SafetyLit].

Predicting Resilience in Sexually Abused Adolescents. Williams J, Nelson-Gardell D. Child Abuse Negl; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_342000_24>: Using Bronfenbrenner's Process-Person-Context-Time (PPCT) ecological model, this study considers the proximal and distal factors that would contribute to adolescents' reactions to sexual victimization. [Source: SafetyLit].

Regret and Police Reporting among Individuals Who Have Experienced Sexual Assault. Marchetti C.A. J. Am. Psychiatr. Nurs. Assoc; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_342099_37>: Regret is a complex, negative emotion linked to decision making, this article describes decisional regret regarding sexual assault reporting. [Source: SafetyLit].

The Impact of PTSD Symptoms on Women's Safer-Sex Negotiation: Influence of Ethnicity. Horsey K.J, Palmieri P.A, Hobfoll S.E. Psychol. Trauma; 3(4): 342-348, 2011<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_342213_1>: This article investigates the the impact of PTSD severity on negotiation and interpersonal skills effectiveness in simulated high-risk sexual situations among 368 inner-city women.

A Brief Intervention for Prevention of Sexually Transmitted Infection among Battered Women. <http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_342144_20>
Laughon K, Sutherland M.A, Parker B.J. J. Obstet. Gynecol. Neonatal Nurs; 40(6): 702-708, 2011<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_342144_20>: This study tests the feasibility and acceptability of a combined brief nursing intervention (BNI) to prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and intimate partner violence (IPV) among rural women attending a family planning clinic. [Source: SafetyLit].

V. Events

3rd International Conference on Survivors of Rape, 8-10 November 2012, Galway, Ireland<http://www.icsor.org/>. Rape Crisis Ireland is proud to announce their 3rd International conference, aimed to deepen our understanding of how rape survivor needs can inform our practice and knowledge and how an effective multiagency response to sexual violence, which holds a survivor focus at its heart, is created and sustained. Abstract submissions close: 20 April 2012.

Reminder: Forum 2012, COHRED / Global Forum for Health Research, 24 - 26 April 2012, Cape Town, South Africa<http://www.forum2012.org/>. To start with, we would like to remind you that Registration<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=gjhq6bcab&et=1109175488382&s=6615&e=001Ly-UU8hfoKWQcZGthc5y2NuHb49pXfMnoZ8R-TSQ-xmld85fSzwmTYUWej__tMCoARytU0sKuyXVJU_RHrLAXz4LOmHI06p9ST6pvL1418VwKkR0Fq-6_C5EotbOs1fXpsDfcXB2PL8=> for Forum 2012 is officially open! Our early bird registration offer ends on 1st February 2012.

For more events visit: http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm

VI. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities

Fellowship Opportunity: The Minorities Fellowship Programme<http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/Minorities/Pages/Fellowship.aspx>. Through the MFP, the OHCHR aims to give persons belonging to national or ethnic, religious and linguistic minorities an opportunity to gain knowledge on the UN system and mechanisms dealing with international human rights in general and minority rights in particular. Applications close: 20 February 2012. [Source: HURIDOCS].

Call for Nominations: Women Deliver 50, Inspiring Ideas & Solutions to Deliver for Girls & Women<http://www.womendeliver.org/updates/entry/calling-for-nominations-women-deliver-50-inspiring-ideas-solutions-to-deliv/>. Women Deliver is spotlighting the top 50 inspiring ideas and solutions that deliver for girls and women and  would love to hear what you think are the most innovative, impactful, and promising advancements in overcoming gender inequality. Deadline for nominations: February 10, 2012. [Source: AWID].

SVRI Funding Links Page: For details on funders who have funding sources available for research on sexual violence visit: http://www.svri.org/funding.htm

VII. Vacancies

Evaluation Officer, P4<https://careers.un.org/lbw/Home.aspx> / United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime / Vienna, Austria / Closing date: 20 February 2012.

Executive Director<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Executive-Director2> / Urgent Action Fund for Women's Human Rights / San Francisco, CA, USA / Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Interim Development & Communications Director<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Interim-Development-Communications-Director> / Urgent Action Fund for Women's Human Rights (UAF) / San Francisco, CA, USA / Closing date: February 6, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Program Officer<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Program-Officer> / Urgent Action Fund for Women's Human Rights (UAF) / San Francisco, CA, USA / Closing date: February 6, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Media Relations Manager<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Media-Relations-Manager> / The Women's Media Center / Washington, DC, USA / Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

African ICT Policy Advocacy Coordinator<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/African-ICT-Policy-Advocacy-Coordinator> / The Association for Progressive Communications (APC) / Location: Anywhere in Africa / Closing date: February 17, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Procurement and Logistics Officer<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Procurement-and-Logistics-Officer> / Gender Links / Johannesburg, South Africa / Closing date: February 3, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Finance Intern<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Finance-Intern> / Gender Links / Johannesburg, South Africa / Closing date: February 3, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Annual and Online Giving Officer<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Annual-and-Online-Giving-Officer> / The Global Fund for Women / San Francisco, CA, USA / Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Program Coordinator, Violence against Children Department<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Program-Coordinator-Violence-against-Children-Department> / Raising Voices / Kampala, Uganda / Closing date: February 10, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Policy & Advocacy Assistant<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Policy-Advocacy-Assistant> / The Women's Collective (TWC) / Washington, DC, USA / Closing date: February 6, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Policy & Advocacy Coordinator<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Policy-Advocacy-Coordinator> / The Women's Collective (TWC) / Washington, DC, USA / Closing date: February 6, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Health Unbound (HUB), mHealth Alliance Intern (Spring 2012)<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Health-Unbound-HUB-mHealth-Alliance-Intern-Spring-2012> / United Nations Foundation / Washington, DC, USA / Closing date: February 2, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

mHealth Alliance: Research Intern (Spring 2012)<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/mHealth-Alliance-Research-Intern-Spring-2012> / United Nations Foundation / Washington, DC, USA / Closing date: February 2, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Program Officer, Adolescent Girls<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Program-Officer-Adolescent-Girls> / United Nations Foundation / Washington, DC, USA / Closing date: February 6, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

West Africa Regional Representative<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/West-Africa-Regional-Representative> / Trickle Up / Sévaré, Mali / Closing date: February 24, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Senior Gender Advisor, P-5<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Gender-Advisor-P-5> / The United Nations Mission in Liberia / Monrovia, Liberia / Closing date: February 12, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Senior Gender and Development Professional<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Gender-and-Development-Professional> / Social Impact (SI) / Arlington, VA, USA / Closing date: February 3, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 30 January 2012].

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org> or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>