[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 07 06 12

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Thu Jun 7 10:18:58 SAST 2012

Dear SVRI List Members

This SVRI Update contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. If you would like to have your sexual violence related resources included in the Update, please send your materials to svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za> by close of business Wednesday. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org>.

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. Sexual Violence in the News
II. Websites
III. Online Publications/Resources
IV. Journal Articles
V. Events
VI. Final Call for Tools: SVRI Research Methodologies Webpage
VII. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities
VIII. Vacancies

I. Sexual Violence in the News

Pakistan: Coming Clean about Child Sexual Abuse - Or Not, IRIN News, 7 June 2012<http://www.irinnews.org/Report/95595/PAKISTAN-Coming-clean-about-child-sexual-abuse-or-not>: Sidra Bibi*was a young girl living with her parents and siblings in the Pakistani city of Lahore when she suffered sexual abuse, and the trauma has lived with her over the years.

Violence Hinders Growth, The Fiji Times Online, 5 June 2012<http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=203088>: All of us men and women, soldiers and peacekeepers, citizens and leaders have a responsibility to help end violence against women words of the United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon squarely placing responsibility for the issue of violence against women on us as individuals.

A Warning to Teenagers Before They Start Dating, The New York Times, 3 June 2012<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/us/middle-school-students-focus-of-anti-violence-effort.html?_r=1>: After studies emerged more than a decade ago showing that the highest rates of physical and sexual assault happen to women ages 16 to 24, programs to prevent abusive relationships have concentrated on high school and college students.

Video Clip: Child Brides: A Global Problem, CNN, 1 June 2012<http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/06/01/mann-child-brides-problem.cnn>: CNN's Jonathan Mann talks with Sarah Degnan Kambou about how to improve the plight of child brides globally.

Philippines: Steep Rise in Gender-Based Violence, IRIN News, 30 May 2012<http://www.irinnews.org/Report/95549/PHILIPPINES-Steep-rise-in-gender-based-violence>: Authorities in the Philippines are reporting a sharp uptick in the number of gender-based violence cases over the last five years.

Trapped after being forced to say 'I do', The Hindu, 28 May 2012:<http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article3462855.ece> Child brides are not criminals. They cannot be compared to children accused of committing crimes. Anyone who hears a story of a girl forced into marriage before she turned 18 will tell you that she had little choice in the matter.

II. Websites

INTACT<http://www.intact-network.net/intact/index.php>: This international group of researchers, scholars, and activists committed to bringing scientific evidence to bear on the campaign to end FGM/C.

WikiPiP<http://wiki.partnersinprevention.org.au/>: This wiki was developed by The Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria (DVRCV) to equip other professionals interested in the prevention violence against women to establish their own PiP to build the capacity of their youth/education-focused workforce. [Source: IGWG].

CDC Sexual Violence: Prevention Strategies<http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/sexualviolence/prevention.html>: This webpage provides resources on comprehensive sexual violence prevention strategies and effective, promising programmes. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

New York City Alliance against Sexual Assault Primary Prevention Resources<http://www.svfreenyc.org/programs_prevention_resources.html>: This webpage provides users with primary prevention resources and reports, from around the United States and around the world.

III. Online Publications/Resources.

Routine Screening for Intimate Partner Violence in Public Health Care Settings in Kenya: An Assessment of Acceptability. Undie C, Maternowska M.C, Mak'anyengo M, Birungi H, Keesbury J and Askew I, 2012<http://www.popcouncil.org/pdfs/2012RH_APHIAII_IntimatePartnerViol.pdf>: Drawing primarily on qualitative methods, this study uses a descriptive case study design to assess the acceptability of screening for IPV.

Cultivating Fear: The Vulnerability of Immigrant Farmworkers in the US to Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment. Human Rights Watch, 2012<http://www.hrw.org/reports/2012/05/15/cultivating-fear>: This report describes rape, stalking, unwanted touching, exhibitionism, or vulgar and obscene language by supervisors, employers, and others in positions of power. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

The Risk and Prevention of Maltreatment of Children with Disabilities. Child Welfare Information Gateway, Bulletin for Professionals 2012<http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/prevenres/focus/focus.pdf>: This bulletin for professionals describes the scope of the problem, risk factors, and strategies for prevention. It is divided into two sections, Background and Research and Promising Practices. [Source: My Child Welfare Librarian].

Evidence-based Practice Center Systematic Review Protocol Project Title: Interventions Addressing Child Exposure to Trauma: Part 1 - Child Maltreatment. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2012<http://www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/ehc/products/298/846/Child-Maltreatment_ProtocolAmendment_20120112.pdf>: This paper discusses a comparative effectiveness review (CER) that will be conducted to evaluate psychosocial and pharmacotherapy interventions for children exposed to trauma in the form of family violence and maltreatment. [Source: My Child Welfare Librarian].

Launch of Plan of Action for the Global Campaign for Violence Prevention (GCVP) for the period 2012-2020. World Health Organization, 2012<http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/violence/global_campaign/en/>: This Plan of Action aims to unify the efforts of the main actors in international violence prevention and identify a small set of priorities for the field, by presenting six national level goals towards which efforts can be directed. [Source: IGWG].

Webcast: Including Efforts to End Child Sexual Abuse within the Sexual Violence Prevention Movement. Prevent-Connect and Ms. Foundation for Women, 2012<http://preventconnect.org/2012/04/web-conference-ending-child-sexual-abuse-1/>: This session focuses on the power and possibilities of local, statewide and national strategies to highlight child sexual abuse prevention as foundational to sexual violence prevention efforts throughout the lifespan. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

The Bully-Sexual Violence Pathway in Early Adolescence. Applying Science. Advancing Practice Informational Brief Series. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2012<http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/ASAP_BullyingSV-a.pdf>: This brief seeks to find the links between sexual harassment, bullying, and homophobic teasing. When bullying behavior takes the form of homophobic teasing, this may increase the likelihood of sexually harassing behaviors. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

>From Survivors to Defenders: Women Confronting Violence in Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala. Nobel Women's Initiative and Just Associates, 2012<http://nobelwomensinitiative.org/2012/06/from-survivors-to-defenders-women-confronting-violence-in-mexico-honduras-and-guatemala/?ref=196>: The report analyzes the causes of these increases in violence and proposes country-specific solutions.  The conclusions are drawn from meetings with over 200 women human rights defenders in Mexico City, Chilpancingo, Guatemala City, Panajachal and Tegucigalpa. [Source: AWID].

Special Issue Number 1: Legal Eye on the ICC eLetter. Women's Initiatives for Gender Justice, May 2012<http://www.iccwomen.org/news/docs/WI-LegalEye5-12-FULL/LegalEye5-12.html>: This Special Issue is the first in a series of four Special Issues reporting on the first trial Judgement handed down by Trial Chamber I in the case against Thomas Lubanga Dyilo on 14 March 2012. [Source: AWID].

Documentary: Uniform Betrayal: Rape in the Military. Malina J and Pusateri S, 2012<http://nsvrc.org/elearning/13370>: This documentary discusses the issue of sexual violence and military. It incorporates the stories and voices of service members who experienced rape. In this video, the term Military Sexual Violence (MST) is defined in the video as the official term for the psychological trauma that may result from military rape, sexual assault, or sexual harassment. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

Engaging Communities in Sexual Violence Prevention: A Guidebook for Individuals and Organizations. Engaging in Collaborative Prevention Work. Curtis M.J. Texas Association against Sexual Assault<http://www.taasa.org/prevention/pdfs/TAASA_ECGuidebook.pdf>: This guidebook serves as a tool for communities and individuals who are beginning the process of planning for community-based primary prevention of sexual violence. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

IV. Journal Articles

Please note, to obtain a full copy of a journal article you may write to the author given as the contact person by the respective publishing house to request a copy.

The Economic Burden of Child Maltreatment in the United States and Implications for Prevention. Fanga X, Brown D.S, Florence C.S and Mercy J.A. Child Abuse & Neglect, 36:156- 165, 2012<http://ac.els-cdn.com/S0145213411003140/1-s2.0-S0145213411003140-main.pdf?_tid=6a7df894bf528f6b3888eb493e19905c&acdnat=1339047643_efcca40657ae3cb0fb7575defa493cb4>: This article new estimates of the average lifetime costs per child maltreatment victim and aggregate lifetime costs for all new child maltreatment cases incurred in 2008 using an incidence-based approach. [Source: My Child Welfare Librarian].

Unsafe at Any Age: Linking Childhood and Adolescent Maltreatment to Delinquency and Crime Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency. Mersky J.P, Topitzes J and Reynolds A.J. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, 49 (2): 295-318, 2012<http://jrc.sagepub.com/content/49/2/295>: This study compares the effects of childhood maltreatment and adolescent maltreatment on delinquency and crime, including violent and nonviolent offending. [Source: My Child Welfare Librarian].

Inter-Partner Violence in the Context of Gangs: A Review. Ulloa E.C, Dyson R.B and Wynes D.D. Aggression and Violent Behavior, In Press, Available Online May 2012<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359178912000456>: This article summarises what is currently known about IPV and gangs, reviews risk factors that are connected to both gang membership and relationship violence, the manifestation of relationship abuse and violence among those affiliated or associate with gangs. [Source: Science Direct].

The Effects of Age, Authority, and Gender on Perceptions of Statutory Rape Offenders. Sahl D, Keene J.R. J. Interpers. Violence; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_362288_24>: This article examines the effect of respondent's gender, the adult's gender, the age gap between the adult and teen, and the adult's authority, on students' perceptions of vignettes describing adult-teen sexual relationships. [Source: SafetyLit].

Diagnostic Accuracy in Child Sexual Abuse Medical Evaluation: Role of Experience, Training, and Expert Case Review. Adams J.A, Starling S.P, Frasier L.D, Palusci V.J, Shapiro R.A, Finkel M.A, Botash A.S. Child Abuse Negl; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_361750_24>: This article assesses the ability of clinicians who examine children for suspected sexual abuse to recognize and interpret normal and abnormal ano-genital findings in magnified photographs using an online survey format. [Source: SafetyLit].

Offenders' Attachment and Sexual Abuse Onset: A Test of Theoretical Propositions. McKillop N, Smallbone S, Wortley R, Andjic I. Sex Abuse; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_362328_24>: This article analyses confidential self-report data on adult male child sexual abusers to test theoretical propositions concerning the role of attachment problems in the onset of sexual offending. [Source: SafetyLit].

Does Consideration of Psychopathy and Sexual Deviance Add to the Predictive Validity of the Static-99R? Looman J, Morphett N.A, Abracen J. Int. J. Offender Ther. Comp. Criminol; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_362274_37>: This article analyses the extent to which psychopathy, sexual deviance, and their interaction added to the predictive validity of the Static-99R. [Source: SafetyLit].

The Utility of Risk Assessment Instruments for the Prediction of Recidivism in Sexual Homicide Perpetrators. Hill A, Rettenberger M, Habermann N, Berner W, Eher R, Briken P. J. Interpers. Violence; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_362286_37>: This article examines the predictive accuracy of four well established risk assessment instruments by assessing them retrospectively based on information from forensic psychiatric court of male sexual homicide offenders in Germany. [Source: SafetyLit].

Predicting Reoffense for Community-Based Sexual Offenders: An Analysis of 30 Years of Data. Swinburne Romine R.E, Miner M.H, Poulin D, Dwyer S.M, Berg D. Sex Abuse; ePub, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_362327_37>: This study contributes to the area of risk prediction by exploring whether the Static-99R is useful for predicting reoffense in community-based samples, and for noncontact offenders with and without identified victims. [Source: SafetyLit].

Engaging Men and Women as Allies: A Workplace Curriculum Module to Challenge Gender Norms about Domestic Violence, Male Bullying and Workplace Violence and Encourage Ally Behavior. Wagner K, Yates D, Walcott Q. Work; 42(1): 107-113, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_361914_8>: This post-hoc analysis discusses a replicable workplace behavior change module called Men and Women As Allies, that was designed and implemented by a team of labor, management and community anti-violence educators at a private sector telecommunications employer. [Source: SafetyLit].

V. Events

International Women's Conference: Connecting for Action in the Asia-Pacific Region<http://www.jcu.edu.au/iwc/index.htm>, 14 - 15 June 2012, Cairns, Australia. The Conference aims to respond to the ongoing challenges experienced by women and girls in the Asia Pacific region, including Indigenous women from all countries including Australia. It is our intent to bring together people from many disciplines and sectors across this diverse region. Registrations now open [Source: Pacwin].

MIGS: Seminar: "Flying Team against Violence: Combating Honour Related Violence and Forced Marriage", 15 June 2012, Nicosia, Cyprus<http://www.awid.org/Library/Seminar4>. The seminar aims to act as a forum for the exchange of good practice identified within the framework of the project Combating Honour Related Violence and Forced Marriages Flying Team against Violence, funded by the European Commission, Daphne III Programme. [Source: AWID].

Training Course: Masculinities, Leadership and Gender Justice in Sub-Saharan Africa, 20 - 30 August 2012, Cape Town, South Africa<http://www.menengage.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111&Itemid=85>. Sonke Gender Justice Network, the MenEngage Africa Network and the Women's Health Research Unit at the University of Cape Town are hosting a short, intensive, ten-day residential course which seeks to expand the skills and knowledge of women and men in the Sub-Saharan Africa region to scale up work on engaging men and boys in gender equality, and build a network of leaders and gender justice advocates. Limited scholarships are available. Applications close: 25 June 2012.

Training Course: Understanding & Addressing Gender Based Violence in Development Contexts<http://www.kodeonline.com/>. This eight week distance education course is targeted at programme managers and other development professions to understand GBV in a range of development settings.

The National Sexual Assault Conference, 22 - 24 August 2012, Chicago, USA<http://www.nsvrc.org/nsac#About_the_Conference>. This two and a half day, advocacy-based conference will provide advanced training opportunities and information regarding sexual violence intervention and prevention. Registrations now open. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

On-line Course: Royal Tropical Institute (KIT) Gender, Rights and Health, 3 September - 9 November 2012<http://www.kit.nl/-/INS/46525/Royal-Tropical-Institute/KIT-Development-Policy-and-Practice--/DEV-Training--/Gender-courses/Gender-courses-Gender,-rights-and-health>. Health programs and health policies are often developed without taking into consideration the gender dimensions and rights perspective into consideration. Global health policies and programs influence local level programs, and without a gender and rights perspective may even worsen the situation of local communities. This course equips participants with concepts, tools and analytical frameworks to analyse health programs, policies and research from a gender and rights perspective. [Source: AWID].

For more events visit: http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm

VI. Final Call for Tools: SVRI Research Methodologies Webpage

We are currently finalising our SVRI Research Tools page (http://www.svri.org/tools.htm). If you would like to share any piloted and tested questionnaires used in studies on sexual violence, please send them to us at: svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za> by Monday, 25 June 2012.  Any other comments and suggestions for inclusion on the page will also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance - The SVRI Secretariat.

VII. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities

Funding Opportunity: Safe and Inclusive Cities<http://www.idrc.ca/cities>. Canada's International Development Research Centre in partnership with the United Kingdom's Department for International Development, have launched this jointly-funded initiative to build an evidence base on the connections between urban violence, poverty, and inequalities. Grants of up to CA$500,000 will be awarded to carry out cutting-edge research in cities across Latin America and the Caribbean, sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. For more information, please email us at cities at idrc.ca<mailto:cities at idrc.ca>. Applications close: 26 August 2012.

Funding Opportunity: Criminal Victimization of Persons with Disabilities Residing in Group Quarters<http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/cvpdrgq12_sol.pdf>. The Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) is seeking applications to design, develop, and test data collection procedures for self-report data on criminal victimization of persons with disabilities residing in group quarters living arrangements, including assisted living settings and institutional settings, such as skilled nursing facilities. Applications close: 25 June 2012. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

Funding Opportunity: Partnerships to Demonstrate the Effectiveness of Supportive Housing for Families in the Child Welfare System<http://www.acf.hhs.gov/grants/open/foa/view/HHS-2012-ACF-ACYF-CA-0538>. This initiative provides an opportunity for public child welfare agencies, local housing authorities, and family homeless or domestic violence shelters to introduce and implement supportive housing services for families who are served by those systems. Grantees are required to demonstrate innovation in responding to reports of child abuse and neglect through a partnership between the child protective services agency, local housing authority, community housing providers, and other critical service providers, as appropriate. Applications close: 30 July 2012. [Source: Friendsnrc].

Fellowship Opportunity: 2013 HIV Prevention Research Advocacy Fellowship<http://www.avac.org/ht/d/sp/i/305/pid/305>. This fellowship will pair emerging leaders in advocacy and activism with existing organizations to develop and execute creative, context-specific projects focused on HIV prevention research. Fellowship projects focus primarily on advocacy around biomedical HIV prevention research or rollout of male circumcision for HIV prevention. Informational Call: 25 June 2012. Applications close: 6 August 2012. [Source: 60percent].

SVRI Funding Links Page: For details on funders who have funding sources available for research on sexual violence visit: http://www.svri.org/funding.htm

VIII. Vacancies

Technical Advisor, Ending Violence against Women Programme Design<mailto:pacific.registry at unwomen.org> / UN Joint Programme / Kiribati and Fiji / Closing date: June 22, 2012. [Source: Pacwin].

Consultancy<http://www.unwomenpacific.org/resources/uploads/embeds/file/RFP_PIMNGO_2012.doc> / UN Women Pacific Sub Regional Office/ Kundiawa, Papua New Guinea / Closing date: June 30, 2012. [Source: Pacwin].

Senior Director - Research<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Director-Research> / The International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) / New Delhi, India / Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Women's Protection & Empowerment (WPE) Manager<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Women-s-Protection-Empowerment-WPE-Manager> / The International Rescue Committee (IRC) / Baghdad, Iraq. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Gender and Peacebuilding Analyst<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Gender-and-Peacebuilding-Analyst> / UN Women / Juba, South Sudan / Closing date: June 10, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Project Coordinator, Gender and Security<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Project-Coordinator-Gender-and-Security> / Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) / Geneva, Switzerland / Closing date: June 10, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Research Assistant, Gender and Security<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Research-Assistant-Gender-and-Security> / Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) / Geneva, Switzerland / Closing date: June 10, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Senior Gender, Equity and Rural Employment Officer<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Gender-Equity-and-Rural-Employment-Officer> / The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) / Bangkok, Thailand / Closing date: June 28, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Europe Lawyer<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Europe-Lawyer> / INTERIGHTS / London, UK / Closing date: June 25, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Six-month Funded Internship: Women's Human Rights in Europe<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Six-month-Funded-Internship-Women-s-Human-Rights-in-Europe> / INTERIGHTS / London, UK / Closing date: June 13, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Survey Designer<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Survey-Designer> / UN Women / New York, NY, USA / Closing date: June 8, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Advocacy Adviser, Global Advocacy Program<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Advocacy-Adviser-Global-Advocacy-Program> / The Center for Reproductive Rights (CRR) / New York, NY, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Gender Director<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Gender-Director> / CARE USA / Atlanta, GA, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Associate Managing Editor<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Associate-Managing-Editor> / RH Reality Check / Washington, DC, USA / Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Deputy Regional Director Programs<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Deputy-Regional-Director-Programs> / Plan / Dakar, Senegal / Closing date: June 18, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Team Members for an Evaluation focused on Women's Leadership and Participation in Peace, Security, and Humanitarian Response<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Team-Members-for-an-Evaluation-focused-on-Women-s-Leadership-and-Participation-in-Peace-Security-and-Humanitarian-Response> / Development & Training Services, Inc. / Various locations. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Institutional Development Officer<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Institutional-Development-Officer> / Católicas por el Derecho a Decidir (CDD) / Mexico City, Mexico / Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Manager of Finance & Operations<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Manager-of-Finance-Operations> / Women's Learning Partnership (WLP) / Bethesda, MD, USA / Closing date: June 29, 2012. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 4 June 2012].

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>