[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 01 02 2013

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Fri Feb 1 12:01:24 SAST 2013

                    [cid:image001.jpg at 01CDD9DA.D5945B20]

Dear SVRI List Members

This SVRI Update contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. If you would like to have your sexual violence related resources included in the Update, please send your materials to svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za> by close of business Wednesday. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org>.
Please note that all of our Updates are also accessible on our Facebook Notes<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sexual-Violence-Research-Initiative/71822396561> page.

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. Sexual Violence in the News
II. Websites
III. Online Publications/Resources
IV. Journal Articles
V. Events
VI. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities
VII. Vacancies

I. Sexual Violence in the News

African-American Women Who Suffered Abuse during Childhood at Increased Risk for Uterine Fibroids, Medical News Today, 28 January 2013<http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/255427.php>: According to a new study from the Slone Epidemiology Center (SEC) at Boston University, African-American women who reported sexual or physical abuse before age 11 had a greater risk of uterine fibroids in adulthood compared with women who had no such abuse history.

Morocco to Change Rape Marriage Law, Al Jazeera, 24 January 2013<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/01/2013123225637555571.html>: The Moroccan government has said it plans to change a law that allows rapists to avoid charges if they marry their victims. The move comes nearly a year after 16-year-old girl committed suicide after being forced to marry her alleged rapist.

Kashmir: Sexual Violence Increases as Justice under Law is Examined, Women News Network, 23 January 2013<http://womennewsnetwork.net/2013/01/23/kashmir-sexual-violence-justice-law/>: "Justice has to and should be done."; "Justice delayed is justice denied."; and "Teach your sons not to harass rather than teaching your daughter how to dress." - these were some of the recent slogans that men and women of all ages in Kashmir have been chanting to show solidarity with the victims of violence in the northern Indian Administered region of Kashmir.

Law makes it Honourable to Kill, Inter Press Service News Agency, 22 January 2013<http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/01/law-makes-it-honourable-to-kill/>: "Before she was murdered, she wasn't alive. We'll tell her story backwards from her murder to her birth"...so begins a powerful new song by critically acclaimed Palestinian hip-hop band DAM to draw attention to the continuing murder of Palestinian women by male relatives declaring that "family honour" has been damaged by alleged sexual indiscretions.

New Feminism Tears down Walls in Brazil, Inter Press Service News Agency, 4 January 2013<http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/01/new-feminism-tears-down-walls-in-brazil/>: Anarkia Boladona has turned the streets of Brazil into billboards against domestic violence. As a self-titled feminist political graffiti artist, she represents a new trend in women's rights that seeks less academic and more daring and popular avenues of expression.

II. Websites

Canadian Women's Foundation<http://www.canadianwomen.org/>: This Foundation works to build a community of women and men who are working together to stop the violence, end poverty, and empower girls.

EQUINET Africa<http://www.equinetafrica.org/>: The Regional Network on Equity in Health in Southern Africa, is a network of professionals, civil society members, policy makers, state officials and others within the region who have come together as an equity catalyst, to promote and realise shared values of equity and social justice in health.

III. Online Publications/Resources

The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS): 2010 Findings on Victimization by Sexual Orientation Walters M.L, Chen J, & Breiding M.J. National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2013<http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/nisvs/SpecialReports.html>: This report presents information based on respondents' self-reported sexual orientation and their lifetime victimization experiences of sexual violence, stalking, and violence by an intimate partner. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

Reproductive Rights: A Tool for Monitoring State Obligations. Center for Reproductive Rights, 2013<http://reproductiverights.org/sites/crr.civicactions.net/files/documents/crr_Monitoring_Tool_State_Obligations.pdf>: This Monitoring Tool provides a means for human rights experts responsible for overseeing compliance with international legal standards on human rights to monitor the implementation of specific State obligations in the field of reproductive rights. [Source: WUNRN].

Sexual Violence in Armed Conflicts: Convergence with Torture. Josse E. Analysis of the Phenomenon of Torture, ACAT 2013:<http://www.resilience-psy.com/IMG/pdf/sexual_violence_torture_confluence.pdf> This article explores wartime sexual violence and its possible convergences with torture, and reflects on the values associated with sexuality and the taboos that govern it in different cultures.

Victories over Violence: Ensuring Safety for Women and Girls. A Practitioner's Manual. Women's Learning Partnership for Rights, Development, and Peace, 2012<http://www.learningpartnership.org/docs/pubs/VAWmanual.pdf>: This Manual is comprised of 16 sessions which unfold in a progression-moving from violence at home or in the private sphere, to the community or public space, to the transnational and international arenas. [Source: WUNRN].

Addressing Gender-Based Violence in Pregnancy: A Clinic and Community Approach in Rural Kenya. Turan, J.M, Hatcher, A.M, Odero, M, Mangone, E, Onono, M, Romito, P, Bukusi, E.A. University of California, San Francisco, 2012<http://www.faces-kenya.org/2013/01/addressing-gender-based-violence-in-pregnancy-a-clinic-community-approach-in-rural-kenya> : This program concept note outlines a strategy for providing GBV screening and enhanced referral services to pregnant women in a rural, primary care setting. The approach builds clinic and community capacity to assist GBV survivors and draws on lay health workers to link patients to existing support structures outside the health facility. [Source: Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health].

Community Violence and Young Children: Making Space for Hope. Early Childhood Matters, 2012<http://www.comminit.com/clickthru/46c382755fbed06bc4669252475d7a98?node=929>: Introducing this edition of Early Childhood Matters, Bernard van Leer Foundation's programme director Michael Feigelson calls attention to the stories of hope. While the articles in these pages clearly demonstrate the devastating impacts of community violence on young children, they also show that there are things we can do. [Source: The Communication Initiative].

Gender-Sensitive Response and Recovery: An Overview. Oxfam Gender Equality in Emergencies Programme Insights, 2012<http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/publications/gender-sensitive-response-and-recovery-an-overview-247191>: The papers in this collection consider the progress made and the challenges we still face in humanitarian and disaster risk reduction (DRR) interventions, in responding adequately to the needs and priorities of all affected people, men and women, boys and girls. [Source: WUNRN].

>From Survivors to Defenders: Women Confronting Violence in Mexico, Honduras & Guatemala. Just Associates, 2012<http://www.justassociates.org/sites/justassociates.org/files/from-survivors-to-defenders-women-confronting-violence-2012_0.pdf>: The report from this fact-finding delegation documents numerous cases of violence against women and women activists - including disappearances, murder and rape- and examines the efforts of women to address the increased violence, and how militarization and security policies are contributing to the increased violence. [Source: WUNRN].

The Emerging Researcher: Nurturing Passion, Developing Skills, Producing Output. De Gruchy J.W and Holness L. University of Cape Town, 2003<http://www.kalahari.com/books/The-emerging-researcher-Nurturing-passion-developing-skills-producing-output/632/32523256.aspx>: The emerging researcher programme (ERP) at the University of Cape Town was launched in 2003 in response to an urgent need for the building of research capacity in a new generation of researchers in South Africa. This book can be ordered online. [Source: MRC].

IV. Journal Articles

Please note, to obtain a full copy of a journal article you may write to the author given as the contact person by the respective publishing house to request a copy.

Somatic Symptoms among U.S. Adolescent Females: Associations with Sexual and Physical Violence Exposure. Halpern C.T, Tucker C.M, Bengtson A, Kupper L.L, McLean S.A, Martin S.L. Matern. Child Health J, ePub, 2013<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_389250_24>: The objective of this study is to examine the association between physical and sexual violence exposure and somatic symptoms among female adolescents. [Source: SafetyLit].

The Associations of Physical and Sexual Assault with Suicide Risk in Nonclinical Military and Undergraduate Samples. Bryan C.J, McNaugton-Cassill M, Osman A, Hernandez AM. Suicide Life Threat. Behav, ePub, 2013<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_389004_24>: This article explores the associations of various forms of sexual and physical assault with a history of suicide attempts and recent suicide ideation. [Source: SafetyLit].

The Childhood Sexual Abuse among Youth in Three Asian Cities: Taipei, Shanghai, and Hanoi. Li N, Zabin L.S, Ahmed S. Asia Pac. J. Public Health, ePub, 2013<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_389202_24>: This article describes the prevalence and risk factors of childhood sexual abuse (CSA) among youth in Hanoi, Shanghai, and Taipei. [Source: SafetyLit].

Adjustment Problems and Maladaptive Relational Style: A Mediational Model of Sexual Coercion in Intimate Relationships. Salwen J.K, O'Leary K.D. J. Interpers. Violence, ePub, 2013<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_388941_20>: This article examines a meditational model of men's perpetration of sexual coercion within an intimate relationship based on past theories and known correlates of rape and sexual coercion. [Source: SafetyLit].

Military Sexual Trauma: A Silent Syndrome. Burgess A.W, Slattery D.M, Herlihy P.A. J. Psychosoc. Nurs. Ment. Health Serv, ePub, 2013<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_388950_28>: This article examines an age-old problem-sexual assault-through the lens of its occurrence within the military culture. [Source: SafetyLit].

Violence as a Barrier for HIV Prevention among Female Sex Workers in Argentina. Pando M.A, Coloccini R.S, Reynaga E, Rodriguez Fermepin M, Gallo Vaulet L, Kochel T.J, Montano S.M, Avila M.M. PLoS ONE, 8(1): e54147, 2013<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_389258_8>: This study explores the frequency of different violent experiences (sexual abuse, rejection, beating and imprisonment) among FSWs in Argentina and its association with condom use and HIV and T. pallidum prevalence. [Source: SafetyLit].

Opportunities and Obstacles to Screening Pregnant Women for Intimate Partner Violence during Antenatal Care in Zimbabwe. Shamu S, Abrahams N, Temmerman M, Zarowsky C. Cult. Health Sex, ePub, 2013<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_389211_20>: This article reports on an exploratory qualitative study conducted in antenatal public health facilities in Harare, Zimbabwe, involving six in-depth interviews with midwives and seven FGDs with 64 pregnant and postpartum women. [Source: SafetyLit].

Sexual Victimization and Family Violence among Urban African American Adolescent Women: Do Violence Cluster Profiles Predict Partner Violence Victimization and Sex Trade Exposure? Kennedy A.C, Bybee D, Kulkarni S.J, Archer G. Violence against Women, 18(11): 1319-1338, 2012<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5b%5d=citjournalarticle_389006_24>: Guided by an intersectional feminist perspective, this article examines sexual victimization, witnessing intimate partner violence (IPV) in the family, and familial physical abuse among a sample of 180 urban African American adolescent women. [Source: SafetyLit].

V. Events

Online Discussion: Transforming Social Norms to Prevent Violence against Women and Girls, 4 - 13 February 2013<http://www.wikigender.org/index.php/Online_Discussion:_Transforming_social_norms_to_prevent_violence_against_women_and_girls>. Wikigender, Partners for Prevention, Breakthrough, End Violence against Women, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and Womankind Worldwide invite you to participate in this online discussion. The outcomes of the discussion will be presented at a side event in New York on the topic of social norms and the prevention of violence against women and girls, co-organised by the OECD Development Centre and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and taking place on 4 March 2013 during the fifty-seventh session of the CSW. [Source: Partners for Prevention].

National Conferences on Child Abuse and Neglect Virtual Participation Webcast Series 2013<http://www.pal-tech.com/web/NNCAN/index.cfm?p=4>. The Children's Bureau's Office on Child Abuse and Neglect (CB-OCAN) is sponsoring a series of four free webcasts to provide active learning opportunities between the 18th and the 19th National Conferences on Child Abuse and Neglect. The Virtual Participation Webcast Series will begin on February 13, 2013. A new topic will be featured quarterly (April 2013, July 2013, and October 2013). [Source: Friendsnrc].

The National Sexual Assault Conference (NSAC), 28 - 30 August 2013, Los Angeles, USA<http://calcasa.org/calcasa/call-for-proposals-national-sexual-assault-conference-2013/>. This an annual conference brings together over 1000 people to share information, advance learning opportunities, and support professional growth to those who work to address the needs of survivors of sexual assault, to raise awareness about sexual assault, and to prevent sexual assault from happening. Abstract submissions close: 7 March 2013. [Source: CALCASA].

For more events visit: http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm

VI. Funding Links / Scholarships / Research Opportunities

Call for Papers: WILPF Nigeria "Partners of 1325"<http://www.awid.org/Library/Call-for-Papers-WILPF-NIgeria-Partners-of-1325>. Women's International League for Peace and Freedom is calling for papers to be published in her maiden issue of a quarterly magazine "Partners of 1325" on women, peace and security. Deadline for abstracts: 14 February 2013. [Source: AWID].

Fellowship Opportunity: CARTA PhD Fellowships 2013-2014<http://cartafrica.blogspot.com/2013/01/call-for-carta-phd-fellowships-2013-2014.html>. The Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) fellowship programme is open to staff members from participating institutions who are interested in conducting their PhD research on topics relevant to the broad fields of public and population health. Applications from disciplines, such as public health, demography, anthropology, economics, among others are welcomed, as long as the research question aims to contribute to public and population health issues. Applications close: 15 April 2013. [Source: Afro-nets].

Funding Opportunity: Fundraising Resources for Women and Girls Worldwide<http://www.fundsforngos.org/funding-for-women/fundraising-women-girls-worldwide/>. This resource guide developed by Funds for NGOs in collaboration with Philantropia aims to provide an overview of resources, guides, and sources of funding for organizations working with women and girls. [Source: 60 percent].

Funding Opportunity: VAWnet Funding Alert<http://www.vawnet.org/grants-funding/funding-opportunities.php>. This funding page contains the most recent information on funding streams, current grant solicitations available, application information, and other issues and information related to funding.

Funding Opportunity: Belfer-Aptman Dissertation Research Award<http://www.melissainstitute.org/awards.html>. The Melissa Institute is offering four awards of $2,000 each. The awards are available to graduate students who address issues of violence prevention and/or treatment. The award must be used to support expenses that are directly related to the dissertation research (e.g., subject fees, computer time, equipment). It may not be used for tuition, personal travel or personal expenses. [Source: Prevent-Connect].

Scholarship Opportunity: Aga Khan International Scholarship Programme<http://www.akdn.org/akf_scholarships.asp>. The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from developing countries who have no other means of financing their studies. Scholarships are awarded on a 50% grant : 50% loan basis through a competitive application process once a year in June or July. Please visit the website for more information. [Source: Afro-nets].

SVRI Funding Links Page: For details on funders who have funding sources available for research on sexual violence visit: http://www.svri.org/funding.htm

VII. Vacancies

Programmes Manager<mailto:jobs at urgentactionfund-africa.or.ke> / The Urgent Action Fund-Africa (UAF-Africa) / Nairobi, Kenya / Closing date: February 15, 2013. [Source: 60 percent].

Manager, Women Human Rights Defenders (WHRD) Program<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-at-AWID/Manager-Women-Human-Rights-Defenders-WHRD-Program> / The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) / Mexico City, Mexico (preferred, but flexible) / Closing date: February 24, 2013. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Communications Officer<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Communications-Officer-Online-and-New-Media> / The International Women's Health Coalition (IWHC) / New York, NY, USA / Closing date: February 11, 2013. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Protection Manager<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Protection-Manager> / The International Rescue Committee (IRC) / Adjoung, South Sudan / Closing date: March 23, 2013. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Capacity Building Manager, Protection and WPE<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Capacity-Building-Manager-Protection-and-WPE> / The International Rescue Committee (IRC) / Baghdad, Iraq / Closing date: March 23, 2013. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Gender Program Advisor<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Gender-Program-Advisor> / CARE / Atlanta, GA, USA. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Management and Program Analyst (Gender and Youth Advisor)<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Management-and-Program-Analyst-Gender-and-Youth-Advisor> / USDA / Washington, DC, USA / Closing date: February 1, 2013. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Director of Development<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Director-of-Development2> / The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC) / New York, NY, USA / Closing date: February 15, 2013. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Policy Specialist on Legal Reform, Civil Society and Access to Justice<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Policy-Specialist-on-Legal-Reform-Civil-Society-and-Access-to-Justice> / UNDP / Hanoi, Viet Nam / Closing date: February 1, 2013. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Programmes Specialist, Knowledge Management<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Programmes-Specialist-Knowledge-Management> / The African Women's Development Fund (AWDF) / Accra, Ghana / Closing date: February 28, 2013. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Advocacy Program Associate<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Advocacy-Program-Associate> / The African Women's Development and Communication Network (FEMNET) / Nairobi, Kenya / Closing date: February 4, 2013. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Head of Advocacy Programme<http://awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Head-of-Advocacy-Programme> / The African Women's Development and Communication Network (FEMNET) / Nairobi, Kenya / Closing date: February 4, 2013. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs: Monday, 28 January 2013].

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative, an initiative of the Global Forum for Health Research, is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org> or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>