[Svrilist] SVRI Forum 2013: Events

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Tue Oct 8 12:18:22 SAST 2013

[Macintosh HD:Users:smchiza:Desktop:My Work:2013 stuff:SVRI Job:SVRI FORUM 2013 text.jpg]

Dear SVRI members,

With the Forum just a few days away, we would like to draw your attention to events that will be taking place at the Forum. These events are great additions to an already fantastic conference programme! Please take a look at the programme at: http://www.svri.org/forum2013/programme.htm.

SVRI Forum 2013 events:

1.  Welcome and networking events

Cocktail function:
Our conference co-host Partners for Prevention will be opening the SVRI Forum on Monday evening, 14 October at 18:00 in the hotel Ballroom I and Foyer. P4P Coordinator Mr James Lang will take a few minutes to talk about the work P4P has been doing in Asia - Pacific, and the state of the field more generally in the region. This will be followed by a short presentation by Dr Emma Fulu to present key P4P products such as their regional report, research toolkit and a short video on the UN multi-country study on men. Come and join us for this opening welcome event!

Gala dinner:
The Gala dinner has always played a central role in the SVRI Forum as it provides a space for all delegates to network and share their work. This event will take place on Wednesday evening, 16 October at 19:00 in the hotel area Riverside I - VIII. This event will not include any speakers or presentations. We hope to see you there!

2.  Launches and seminars

GWI and SVRI science fair:
The Global Women's Institute (GWI) has partnered with SVRI on a global research contest the GBV Research Science Fair using WeShareScience.com<http://wesharescience.com/5-Minute-Science-Fair> - an innovative platform for sharing research. Please enter your research and encourage your colleagues to do so. More information on the GBV Research Science Fair and how to enter can be accessed online at: http://www.svri.org/forum2013/sciencefair.htm. The official launch of the GBV Research Science Fair will take place during lunchtime (13:00 - 14:30), Tuesday 15 October in Riverside I.

Silence Speaks - The ethics and practices of participatory media with survivors of sexual violence:
This lunchtime seminar will run parallel with the GBV Research Science Fair at 13:00 - 14:30 on Tuesday in Riverside II. Silence Speaks<http://www.silencespeaks.org/> is international digital storytelling initiative of the Center for Digital Storytelling<http://www.storycenter.orgwww.storycenter.org/>. This seminar will share research findings about the impact of creating stories, on survivors, and explore with audience members how and whether participatory media might be integrated into their ongoing work on sexual violence.

MenEngage reception:
On Tuesday evening at 18:30, MenEngage will host this reception event to present their call for action to engage men and boys in preventing violence against women.  The event will include various media and short presentations by this dynamic international network. The venue will be announced at the Forum.

Book launch:
Dr Emma Fulu from P4P invites all those attending the Forum to her book launch: Domestic Violence in Asia: Globalization, gender and Islam in the Maldives on Tuesday evening at 18:30. This session will run in parallel with the MenEngage reception and the venue will be announced once the Forum starts.

Emergency contraception policy brief launch:
The International Consortium on Emergency Contraception (ICEC) and the SVRI have recently finalised an emergency contraception and sexual assault fact sheet. This factsheet will be launched at the SVRI Forum during lunchtime (13:00 - 14:30) on Wednesday, 16 October in Riverside I. Copies of the factsheet will be available at the launch.

3.  Prize giving

The SVRI Forum 2013 offers a variety of opportunities for participants to be internationally recognized for their achievements. The Forum will be awarding prizes to presenters on Thursday, 17 October during the last plenary session at 13:00 - 13:30. Awards this year will be given to the following categories:
1.        Overall best research presentation
2.        Overall runner-up research presentation
3.        Best presentation from a young researcher
4.        Runner-up presentation from a young researcher
5.        Best poster presentation
6.        Runner-up poster presentation

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need assistance. If you have any questions, please email us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>. We look forward to seeing you in Bangkok!

Regards,

SVRI Forum 2013 Organising Committee

SVRI Forum 2013 website: http://www.svri.org/forum2013
Follow us on Twitter: @TheSVRI<https://twitter.com/TheSVRI>
Join us on Facebook: Sexual Violence Research Initiative<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sexual-Violence-Research-Initiative/71822396561>

  [cid:image010.jpg at 01CEAA11.7D4912F0]        [cid:image004.jpg at 01CEAA11.B8B5EF20]      [cid:image023.jpg at 01CEAA11.B8B5EF20]     [cid:image005.jpg at 01CEAA11.B8B5EF20] [cid:image006.jpg at 01CEAA11.B8B5EF20]
  [Population_Council_logo]          [high res gwi logo]  [cid:image007.jpg at 01CEAA11.B8B5EF20]

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the South African Medical Research Council e-mail legal notice available at. http://www.mrc.ac.za/about/EmailLegalNotice.htm