[Svrilist] SVRI Special Update: What Works to Prevent Violence Against Women and Children

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Thu Jun 12 22:04:26 SAST 2014

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8689.210FF850]

Dear SVRI List Members

Please find to follow a special update on the new What Works to Prevent Violence project.

It IS #TimeToAct but what do we do?

Yesterday, on a warm East London afternoon, Emma Fulu, lead researcher Medical Research Council SA addressed this question to a packed room at the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict fringe, to mark the launch of What Works to Prevent Violence Against Women and Girls?

Emma Fulu was amongst an eminent panel hosted by the UK Department for International Development together with the South African Medical Research Council, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the International Rescue Committee in collaboration with Womankind Worldwide, to spotlight the need to invest in work to address the root causes which underpin many forms of violence and continue to build the evidence base for prevention.

The discussion was chaired by Dr. Claudia Garcia-Moreno, World Health Organization, with speakers including the Rt. Hon Lynne Featherstone MP, UK Department for International Development, Professor Rachel Jewkes, South African Medical Research Council, Dr. Lori Heise, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Dr Shana Swiss, International Rescue Committee, and Hannah Koroma, WAVES, Sierra Leone. The event marked the launch of DFID's £25m global research and innovation programme, What Works, which aims to build knowledge on what works to prevent violence against women and girls and which interventions to strengthen women's and girls' agency and empowerment protect them from violence.
"We know there are a lot of gaps in the evidence and data on issues relating to violence against women and girls, not least because of the sensitive nature of the research and data collection", says Rachel Jewkes, Medical Research Council SA. "So we are thinking through how to better understand what works, and how to measure change so that we can direct our efforts towards the most effective interventions which deliver results at scale."
>From Tuesday 17 June 2014 national and international non-government organisations can apply for innovation grants, there are 10-14 available, to test out innovative approaches to preventing violence or meeting the needs of those who have survived violence.  More details will be circulated via the SVRI Listserv on Tuesday 17th June.
What Works has also launched a short video for the organisations applying and other key partners to illustrate the core concept of primary prevention and highlight its importance: http://bit.ly/1qgeesu
And new off the press from What Works are five publications summarising the current state of knowledge in the field of what we know works right now in terms of prevention, response, scale-up, violence against women and girls overall, and research priorities and gaps. All publications are available for download here<http://www.svri.org/generaldocs.htm>.
Follow us: @whatworksVAWG