[Svrilist] SVRI Special Update: What Works to Prevent Violence Against Women and Children

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Tue Jun 17 16:04:39 SAST 2014

[cid:image007.jpg at 01CF8A45.7151DA80]

Dear SVRI List Members

Please find to follow a special update on the new What Works to Prevent Violence project:
What Works to Prevent Violence: Pre-applications for innovation grants and evaluation and operations research
Newsletter - June 2014

What works received nearly 800 pre-applications for the innovation grant fund. This was an unexpectedly high number and we apologise for the delay in providing feedback. This newsletter serves as response to the frequently asked questions and frequently encountered issues in the pre-applications. Please use this as a guide for applying to the full request for applications. Those who submitted pre-applications will also receive direct feedback by email in the coming days.

There has been a slight delay, however the full request for applications will be released in the coming days via the SVRI Listserv and posted on the SVRI website, www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org>. Further direction is available in A Summary of the Evidence and Research Agenda for What Works<http://www.svri.org/WhatWorksEvidenceSummary.pdf>  which outlines the priorities for this innovation grant.

Language and budget

·         All applications must be in English.

·         We will only accept applications with a budget ranging from £300,000-1 million.

·         We will only support organizations that have the capacity to administer programmes of this size.
Eligible countries

·         All projects for innovation grants must be in DFID priority countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Burma, DR Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, India[1], Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, Nigeria, Occupied Palestinian Territories, Pakistan, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, South Africa1, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Uganda, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

·         Projects can work across more than one country, but all countries where the project will take place must be a DFID priority country.

·         We will accept applications from organizations based in a non-DFID priority country but for work in a priority country.
Eligible organizations

·         We will only fund organisations that have an established track record of programming and/or research on violence against women and girls because we want to use the fund to strengthen expertise.

·         All non-profit organization are eligible to apply. This includes NGOs, governments, UN agencies and other international organizations. However we will prioritise local organizations based in the global south.

·         We encourage partnerships between multiple organizations, for example a local NGO and a UN agency, or an NGO and a university. However, we will prioritise applications where the local organization (and organisation based in the country where the work is being conducted) is the lead agency. This is because one of our goals is research capacity development of individuals in and from DFID priority countries.

·         You can submit up to two applications per organization.
Types of violence focused on

·         We will focus only on intimate partner violence, non-partner sexual violence and child abuse.

·         Other types of VAWG such as FGM and child marriage are being addressed by other DFID-funded programmes and will not be funded under this grant.

·         We may accept a project which aims to, for example, change norms on child marriage in addition to changing social norms on intimate partner violence, but it needs to be clear that the project is designed in the first instance to address intimate partner violence.
Focus on primary prevention of violence against women and girls
The focus of the grants is on primary prevention of violence against women and girls (VAWG). That is, programmes that aim to stop violence before it starts by addressing the root causes. If you are unclear about what this includes, you may find it of assistance to view a short video which can be found at www.vimeo.com/mantaraymedia/vawg<http://www.vimeo.com/mantaraymedia/vawg>. The attached brief, A Summary of the Evidence and Research Agenda for What Works<http://www.svri.org/WhatWorksEvidenceSummary.pdf>  provides more detail on the priorities for research and innovation under this grant. We will give preference to applications which are most closely aligned to our intervention priorities.

We will not support interventions with a broad focus related to, for example, education or women's empowerment, unless the application specifies that violence prevention is an outcome. This is a violence prevention fund, therefore interventions must explicitly aim to reduce violence against women and children and show how planned activities will contribute to this outcome.

Strong theory of change needed
Only a small number of pre-applications presented a comprehensive theory of change, however this is one of the key selection criteria under this grant.

Good practice in intervention design begins with a clearly thought through plan of how the intervention (or each part of the intervention) will lead to changes in known risk factors or promote protective factors for violence and ultimately a reduction in violence overall.  Interventions that are not theoretically grounded or have a clearly articulated theory of change when designed, are rarely effective.  A theory of change demonstrates that you have thought about what is driving violence (risk factors) in your context that need to be changed in order to prevent violence. It needs to  show thought about what types of interventions work to change the risk factors - for example if the problem to be addressed is social norms on gender, a community-based intervention is needed because social norms are built and supported at a community level. Methods to be used in the intervention should be chosen after thought about what is known to achieve the desired type of change. You should remember that if we address multiple risk factors we are more likely to be successful in reducing violence, and you may also consider that if we want to work in an institution, such as a school, we may be more effective if we think about the school ecologically as having different actors contributing to the school community (e.g. school governors, teachers, learners and parents) and try to involve them all.  What we are looking for is a joined up idea of how the intervention will addresses key factors along a hypothesized causal pathway.

Please see the example below and DFID's How to Note: A Theory of Change for Tackling Violence against Women and Girls<https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/67336/how-to-note-vawg-1.pdf> for further guidance.

Example of developing a theory of change
[cid:image008.png at 01CF8A45.7151DA80]

Integrated approaches rather than a list of activities
A number of pre-applications have listed the activities that their organization plans to undertake without a clear explanation of how these activities would be linked together, or how the activities could prevent violence. We are interested in multi-component interventions that use a variety of activities across settings however, they must be integrated with a clear explanation of how they are connected and reinforce each other.

We are also aware that very complex interventions can be difficult to deliver and so encourage organisations to also be realistic about their capacity to manage these.

We are looking for innovation but do not require interventions to be developed from the beginning. Applications which adapt and build on interventions which have been shown to be promising in preventing violence in other countries or settings will also be favourably viewed. If interventions are being taken from another setting we would like to be told why the intervention was chosen and why it is thought it might work in your new setting.

Ethics
All proposed research connected to an innovation grant must have or apply for ethical approval before commencement of the study. The research must be conducted in a professional manner, in accordance with the applicable industry standards, and ethical guidelines including: Putting Women First<http://www.who.int/gender/violence/womenfirtseng.pdf>: Ethical and Safety Recommendations for Research on Domestic Violence Against Women, Department of Gender and Women's Health Family and Community Health. World Health Organization, 1999; Researching Violence against Women<http://www.path.org/projects/researching_violence.php>: A Practical Guide for Researchers and Activists. World Health Organization and Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH), 2005; Ethical and Safety Recommendations for Research on Perpetration of Sexual Violence<http://www.svri.org/EthicalRecommendations.pdf>. SVRI and Medical Research Council South Africa, 2012.

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org> or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>