[Svrilist] Special Announcement: SVRI Forum 2015 Call for Abstracts

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Tue Nov 25 17:13:49 SAST 2014

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D008D3.2C3AB130]<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/index.htm>

Dear SVRI List Members,

Please take note of the following special announcement. Please disseminate widely!

Call for abstracts - SVRI Forum 2015: Innovation and intersections

We are pleased to announce the Call for Abstracts<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/abstract.htm> to participate at the SVRI Forum 2015<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/> on this first day of the 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence!

This important event will be hosted from 14 - 17 September at Spier 1692 Estate, Stellenbosch, South Africa. It will bring together colleagues from around the world, under the theme of innovation and intersections, to present paper and poster presentations<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/abstract.htm>, special sessions<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/sessions.htm> and workshops<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/workshop.htm>, to discuss and network around scientific and practical matters related to the prevention of, and response to sexual and intimate partner violence and child abuse and neglect in a variety of settings among different populations, in low and middle income countries.

Submit your abstract by 30 April 2015! For other important dates, click here<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/dates.htm>.

SVRI Forum 2015 will focus debate on the following key questions:

  *   What are the intersections of different forms of gender-based and other forms of violence across the lifespan and why do they matter?
  *   What social norms are related to sexual violence and intimate partner violence, child abuse and neglect and how do we change them?
  *   How should we evaluate social norm change interventions and other forms of prevention?
  *   How can we integrate prevention and responses to violence into other sectors including health, education, social development, sports and justice sectors?
  *   If we know it works, what does it cost and how do we scale up effective programs?
  *   What works to prevent or respond to sexual violence in conflict, post conflict and humanitarian settings?
Abstracts on all forms of sexual violence, intimate partner violence and child abuse and neglect are encouraged, as are abstracts on:

  *   marginalized populations, including women with disabilities, LGBTI, sex workers;
  *   HIV;
  *   children and adolescents - violence prevention and response;
  *   sexual trafficking;
  *   sexual abuse and violence in institutional settings;
  *   new forms of gender-based violence including cyber bullying and cyber stalking;
  *   mental health;
  *   different platforms for delivering programmes: community based approaches, parenting programmes, school based interventions;
  *   use of technology to prevent and respond to sexual and intimate partner violence and child abuse.
A priority for SVRI Forum 2015 is to promote equity in research and successful north-south, south-south, and academic-practitioner research partnerships. Researchers submitting abstracts for interventions are encouraged to try and ensure their practitioner partners attend the Forum.

For more information on the SVRI Forum 2015, contact: svri.forums at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri.forums at mrc.ac.za> or visit the conference website<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/index.htm>. We look forward to hosting you in beautiful Stellenbosch!
Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org> or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>