[Svrilist] SVRI Update: 09 10 2014

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Thu Oct 9 17:06:03 SAST 2014

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CFE3E3.4CFC7AD0]

Dear SVRI List Members

This SVRI Update contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. If you would like to have your sexual violence related resources included in the Update, please send your materials to svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org>. Please note that the SVRI Updates are also available on our Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sexual-Violence-Research-Initiative/71822396561?fref=ts> page.

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. Sexual violence in the news
II. Websites
III. Online publications/resources
IV. Journal articles
V. Events
VI. Funding links / research opportunities / fellowships and scholarships
VII. Vacancies

I. Sexual violence in the news

High schools clueless about sex harassment rules, Women's eNews, 9 October 2014<http://womensenews.org/story/sexual-harassment/141008/high-schools-clueless-about-sex-harassment-rules#.VDahTPmSyX8>: "Guys will walk down the hall and hit on girls and be like 'What a nice butt you have,'" said the sophomore at Charles F. Brush High School in Lyndhurst, Ohio, in a recent phone interview. "Then you'll complain about it and other girls will be like 'Why? That's a compliment.' Honestly, I don't really see it that way. I think it's unwanted."

Displacement spells danger for pregnant women in Pakistan, Inter Press Service News Agency, 8 October 2014<http://www.ipsnews.net/2014/10/displacement-spells-danger-for-pregnant-women-in-pakistan/>: Imagine traveling for almost an entire day in the blistering sun, carrying all your possessions with you. Imagine fleeing in the middle of the night as airstrikes reduce your village to rubble. Imagine arriving in a makeshift refugee camp where there is no running water, no bathrooms and hardly any food. Now imagine making that journey as a pregnant woman.

Woman gang-raped by Tinder date and his friends, Sydney Morning Herald, 8 October 2014<http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/woman-gangraped-by-tinder-date-and-his-friends-20141008-11353v.html#ixzz3FeAAKag6>: Police are warning online daters to be careful of meeting with strangers after a tourist was gang-raped after being introduced to a man she met on mobile dating app Tinder.

Activists concerned over proposal to lower age limit for marriage, Dhaka Tribune, 1 October 2014<http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2014/oct/01/activists-concerned-over-proposal-lower-age-limit-marriage?utm_source=1.+CM+in+the+News+-+Update+to+members&utm_campaign=79324c4abd-Child_Marriage_in_the_News_2_October_201410_2_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c21d02558c-79324c4abd-382382477#sthash.OlfPuiCG.dpuf>: The women's rights activists in the country expressed grave concern over the cabinet's recent decision to lower the age limit for marriage to 16 years for females and 18 years for males.

Changing harmful social norms to combat gender-based violence, PsychCentral, 24 September 2014<http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/09/24/changing-harmful-social-norms-to-combat-gender-based-violence/75311.html>: A new study discusses the challenge of developing effective strategies to change traditional, but inequitable and harmful community norms that can lead to gender-based violence.

II. Websites

Webpage: National PREA Resource Center Curricula<http://www.prearesourcecenter.org/node/1912>: Providers from the National Prison Rape Elimination Act Resource Center have adapted regional training materials to be accessed for agency- and facility-level trainings. These training curricula can be accessed from this webpage. [Source: National Institute of Corrections].

III. Online publications/resources

Learning from practice: Get Moving! Namy S, Kemitare J and Michau L. GBV Prevention Network, 2014<http://d31hzlhk6di2h5.cloudfront.net/20140930/41/9d/d9/8b/9ce003db2cc4479b518cfa0c/LearningFromPractice_GM__final.pdf> (pdf): Get Moving! is a methodology designed to take organisations through a powerful process of intensive reflection, both at the personal and organisational levels. Get Moving! journey moves through ten provocative topics, using a range of creative activities, such as group brainstorms, private journaling, structured exercises, role play and supplemental reading. [Source: Raising Voices].

New technology: Same old problems. Report of a roundtable on social media and violence against women and girls. End Violence against Women Coalition, 2013<http://www.endviolenceagainstwomen.org.uk/data/files/Report_New_Technology_Same_Old_Problems.pdf> (pdf): This report seeks to offer workable ways to balance freedom of expression with freedom from abuse, to reclaim the Internet for the women and girls, and to ensure that potential benefits of new technology are not held back by these very old problems. [Source: WUNRN].

IV. Journal articles

Please note, to obtain a full copy of a journal article you may write to the author given as the contact person by the respective publishing house to request a copy.

Gender-based violence in conflict and displacement: Qualitative findings from displaced women in Colombia. Wirtz A.L, Pham K, Glass N. Conflict and Health, 8, 2014<http://www.conflictandhealth.com/content/8/1/10>: This article describes qualitative research to understand the contexts of conflict, displacement and dynamics with GBV. [Source: Johns Hopkins School of Medicine].

Sexual coercion and health-risk behaviours among urban Chinese high school students. Song Y, Ji C.Y, Agardh A. Glob. Health Action, 7: e24418, 2014<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_459835_24>: This article explores the association between health-risk behaviours and a history of sexual coercion among urban Chinese high school students. [Source: SafetyLit].

A new perspective on distress during the pelvic examination: the role of traumatic hyperarousal in women with histories of sexual violence. Khan C.T, Greene C.J, Strauss J.L, Spiegel D and Weitlauf J.C. Violence and Gender, 1(3): 117-123, 2014<http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/vio.2014.0016>: In this cross-sectional and descriptive study, 40 female veterans with prior sexual violence completed (1) a pelvic examination, (2) immediate retrospective measures of examination-related distress, and (3) the Clinician Administered PTSD Scale. [Source: Gender Violence].

Intimate partner femicide-suicides in Gyhana: Victims, offenders, and incident characteristics. Adinkrah M. Violence Against Women, ePub, 2014<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_459833_20>: This article investigates the scope, nature, and determinants of intimate partner femicide-suicides (IPFS) that occurred in Ghana during 1990 to 2009. [Source: SafetyLit].

>From Empower to Green Dot: Successful strategies and lessons learned in developing comprehensive sexual violence primary prevention programming. Cook-Craig P.G, Millspaugh P.H, Recktenwald E.A, Kelly N.C, Hegge L.M, Coker A.L, Pletcher T.S. Violence Against Women, ePub, 2014<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_459831_37>: This case study describes Kentucky's partnership with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) EMPOWER (Enhancing and Making Programs Work to End Rape) program to enhance the mission and services of existing rape crisis centers to include comprehensive primary prevention programming to reduce rates of sexual violence perpetration. [Source: SafetyLit].

Joint relation of intimate partner violence and parenting stress to observed emotionally unsupportive parenting behaviour. Loucks L.A, Shaffer A. Couple Family Psychol, 3(3): 178-192, 2014<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_459846_24>: This study examines the unique role of parenting stress in the transmission of conflict from intimate partner violence (IPV) victimization to observed emotionally unsupportive parenting behaviour (i.e., hostility, psychological control, emotional unavailability) within a community sample. [Source: SafetyLit].

"We face rape. We face all things": Understandings of gender-based violence amongst female students at a South African university. Gordon S.F, Collins A. Afr. Safety Promot, 11(2): 93-106, 2013<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_459660_24>: This article examines how women's identities and social interactions are affected by the presence of gender-based violence in their communities, and specifically the issue of violence in higher education institutions. [Source: SafetyLit].

Sexual violence in post-conflict Sierra Leone : Obstacles to prevention responses. John-Langba J, John-Langba V.N, Rogers N.M. Afr. Safety Promot, 11(2): 63-75, 2013<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_459655_3>: This paper explores narratives about the problem of sexual violence and obstacles to prevention efforts in the aftermath of war in Sierra Leone. [Source: SafetyLit].

The importance of confronting a colonial, patriarchal and racist past in addressing postapartheid sexual violence: Perspectives. Graham L.V. Afr. Safety Promot, 11(2): 28-37, 2013<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_459657_2>: This commentary uses Judge Willem van der Merwe's rescripting of Rudyard Kipling's 'If' poem during the Jacob Zuma rape trial as a starting point to argue for the importance of understanding the ways in which spectres of a colonial, masculinist and racist past continue to haunt the present in South Africa. [Source: SafetyLit].

V. Events

Working with persons with intellectual disabilities and problems in sexual behaviour, 21 October 2014<https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2464020212902223105>. This webinar will review current issues in the assessment, treatment, and risk management of persons with intellectual disabilities and problems in sexual behaviour. Emphasis will be on creating appropriate opportunities for special needs clients to address behavioural difficulties and to maximize protective factors, whether in community or institutional settings. [Source: NEARI Press].

3rd Pan African Conference, 21 - 22 April 2015, TBC: Uganda<http://www.parentinginafrica.org/en/index.php?option=com_eventlist&view=details&id=35:3rd-pan-african-conference-on-parenting&Itemid=27>. This meeting will bring together experts, representatives of national, regional and international  organizations, government officials and partners committed to strengthening families to exchange ideas and hence inform policy and practice on parenting  skilfully in Africa. Abstract submissions close: 30 November 2014. [Source: Parenting in Africa].

For more events visit: http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm

VI. Funding links / research opportunities / fellowships and scholarships

Fellowship opportunity: Newton International Fellowships Scheme<http://www.britac.ac.uk/funding/guide/intl/newton_international_fellowships.cfm>. The Fellowship has been established to select the very best early stage post-doctoral researchers from all over the world and enable them to work at UK research institutions for a period of two years. It covers researchers in all disciplines covered by the two academies - physical, natural and social sciences, and the humanities. Closing date: 22 October 2014. [Source: SAMRC].

VII. Vacancies

Consultancy positions<http://raisingvoices.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/GSMB_ConsultantJD.Final_.pdf> / Raising Voices / Global / Closing date: Extended to 15 October 2014. [Source: Raising Voices].

Director UNICEF Office of Research (D2)<mailto:recruit.SSR at unicef.org> / UNICEF / Florence, Italy / Closing Date: October 24, 2014. [Source: UNICEF].

Inter-Regional Adviser on Public Accountability, P5<http://careers.un.org> / United Nations / New York, USA / Closing date: November 7, 2014. [Source: UN].

Resident Director: Haiti<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Resident-Director-Haiti> / NDI / Haiti / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs].

Senior Manager, Policy and Government Affairs<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Manager-Policy-and-Government-Affairs> / Women Thrive Worldwide / USA / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs].

Senior Gender Advisor<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Gender-Advisor4> / GRI / Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs].

Senior Gender Advisor / Team Lead<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Gender-Advisor-Team-Lead> / GRI / Jordan / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs].

Gender Technical Advisor<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Gender-Technical-Advisor> / Plan International USA / Washington, D.C, USA / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs].

Project Staff /Program Officer for Latin America and Africa<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Project-Staff-Program-Officer-for-Latin-America-and-Africa> / Global Network of Women Peacebuilders / New York, USA / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs].

Senior Gender Advisor<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Gender-Advisor-Kosovo-AGRO> / NDI / Kosovo / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs].

Senior Gender Advisor<http://www.awid.org/Get-Involved/Jobs-Around-the-World/Senior-Gender-Advisor-Zimbabwe-PRFS-LD> / NDI / Zimbabwe / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: AWID Resource-Net Jobs].

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org> or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>