[Svrilist] SVRI Update 06 08 2015

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Thu Aug 6 17:05:33 SAST 2015

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D0D06A.1FE95300]

Dear SVRI List Members

This SVRI Update contains a variety of sexual violence related research and resources. If you would like to have your sexual violence related resources included in the Update, please send your materials to svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>. For more information and resources on sexual violence and the Sexual Violence Research Initiative visit www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org>. Please note that the SVRI Updates are also available on our Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sexual-Violence-Research-Initiative/71822396561?fref=ts> page.

Today's SVRI Update includes the following:
[Summaries directly taken or adapted from source]

I. SVRI members' requests

II. Journal articles

III. Online publications and resources

IV. Research opportunities, grants and funding

V. Websites

VI. News

VII. Events

VIII. Vacancies

I. SVRI members' requests

1) Call for statements of interest: 16 Days of Activism<http://preventgbvafrica.org/16-days-of-activism-call-for-statements-of-interest/>

Apply today to receive this year's GBV Prevention Network Regional 16 Days of Activism Campaign Kit. Hundreds of organizations and millions of people across the Horn, East and Southern Africa will get involved in the GBV Prevention Network's Regional 16 Days of Activism Campaign. We hope to engage and inspire action from all categories of leaders including:

  *   Political leaders e.g. members of parliament, ministers, elected leaders at local government level etc.
  *   Technical leaders e.g. ministry officials, technical staff at local levels of government
  *   Opinion leaders e.g. religious and traditional leaders

Have you considered the actions below?

  1.  Encouraging leaders at all levels - political, technical, religious and traditional, to publicly condemn violence against women.
  2.  National programming - Advocate for the development or strengthening of a national plan of action to end violence against women in your country.
  3.  Advocate for the establishment for a national coordinating mechanism with adequate resources to implement and monitor actions to address violence against women in your country.
  4.  Financing VAW/G programs- Advocate for resources to be available to support the implementation of existing laws, policies and operational plans to eliminate violence against women and girls in your country.

Click here<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RYVRYB3> to apply for the Advocacy kit. Deadline for application is Wednesday August 12th 2015. For further clarifications write to jean at raisingvoices.org<mailto:jean at raisingvoices.org> and sharifa3aziz at gmail.com<mailto:sharifa3aziz at gmail.com>. [Source: Raising Voices].

2) Call to contribute human rights advocacy resources<http://www.awid.org/get-involved/call-contribute-human-rights-advocacy-resources>

Do you have a go-to resource that is key to human rights advocacy? If so, you can help build an online resource for activists working to protect and advance human rights worldwide.

The Observatory on the Universality of Rights (OURs) initiative is building this online resource to provide activists who lobby within human rights systems with quick reference materials and other advocacy tools to support them in their work. With your expertise in international and regional human rights systems, your recommendations for materials to include would be incredibly valuable. OURs is looking for anything and everything that is a must-have resource for human rights advocacy - From grassroots to academic to UN language, they want to see all types of materials: web-texts, PDFs, presentations, training materials, video and audio recording. Please send your submissions to: OURs at awid.org<mailto:OURs at awid.org>. Submissions for contributions close: 31 August 2015. Please see the AWID website<http://www.awid.org/get-involved/call-contribute-human-rights-advocacy-resources> for more information. [Source: AWID Resource-Net].

3) Call for information and materials: Integrating culture into interventions to reduce and prevent gender-based violence<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/98DMFCK>

The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, J-PAL and Harvard Medical School are conducting a systematic mapping of interventions that have been implemented to reduce and prevent GBV that have incorporated culture in their design and delivery. This could include designing culturally appropriate GBV interventions, developing or adapting interventions to ensure that they address cultural factors, as well as delivering the intervention via community practices, cultural ceremonies or traditional channels of communication. We believe that some of the GBV programs and interventions that may be relevant may not be published. We are therefore searching for case studies and information from you or your organization.

We would be grateful if you could take a few minutes to complete our online form at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/98DMFCK to share information on your programs, interventions, research and / or experiences. You may also send relevant materials or documents to the email address listed below. We will respect the confidentiality and privacy of unpublished data and reports. We would appreciate information on your own work or on other work that you are aware of that would be relevant.

Please feel free to share this call for information with your network. The deadline for information is August 14, 2015. For more information please contact: vsharma at povertyactionlab.org<mailto:vsharma at povertyactionlab.org>.

II. Journal articles

Insecure attachment style and dysfunctional sexual beliefs predict sexual coercion proclivity in university men. Dang S.S, Gorzalka B.B. Sex Med, 3(2): 99-108, 2015<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_491225_24>: This study investigates the role of potential distal predictors of sexual coercion, including insecure attachment style and dysfunctional sexual beliefs, in mediating the relationship between sexual functioning and sexual coercion. [Source: SafetLit].

Conflicting rights: how the prohibition of human trafficking and sexual exploitation infringes the right to health of female sex workers in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Maher L, Dixon T, Phlong P, Mooney-Somers J, Stein E, Page K. Health Hum. Rights, 17(1): E102-E1132015, 2015<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_490907_2>: In 2008, Cambodia introduced antitrafficking legislation ostensibly designed to suppress human trafficking and sexual exploitation. Based on empirical research with female sex workers, this article examines the impact of the new law on vulnerability to HIV and other adverse health outcomes. [Source: SafetLit].

>From family violence to dating violence: Testing a dual pathway model. Morris A.M, Mrug S, Windle M. J. Youth Adolesc, ePub, 2015<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_491088_24>: This article examines prospective links between exposure to family violence in pre-adolescence; pro-violent beliefs, aggression, deviant peer affiliation, and aggression toward opposite-sex peers in early adolescence and dating violence in late adolescence. [Source: SafetLit].

Barriers and facilitators of mental health treatment-seeking in U.S active duty soldiers with sexual assault histories. Zinzow H.M, Britt T.W, Pury C.L, Jennings K, Cheung J.H, Raymond M.A. J. Trauma. Stress, ePub, 2015<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_491373_28>: This article explores service use behavior, barriers, and facilitators of mental health treatment-seeking in an active duty sample of 927 U.S. Army soldiers with mental health problems. [Source: SafetLit].

Intimate partner violence, maternal sensitive parenting behaviors, and children's executive functioning. Gustafsson H.C, Coffman J.L, Cox M.J. Psychol. Violence, 5(3): 266-274, 2015<http://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_491198_24>: Little is known about the impact of IPV on children's cognitive development, including whether it influences their executive functioning (EF). This article addresses this gap in the literature, by examining the association between IPV that occurs early in life and EF at school entry. [Source: SafetLit].

Please note, to obtain a full copy of a journal article you may write to the author given as the contact person by the respective publishing house to request a copy.

III. Online publications and resources

Innovative models in addressing violence against Indigenous women: State of knowledge paper. ANROWS, 2015<http://www.anrows.org.au/publications/landscapes/innovative-models-in-addressing-violence-against-indigenous-women-state?utm_source=ANROWS+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0edefe02ca-Landscapes_Issue_Eight_e_alert_8_6_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ac2f28d0aa-0edefe02ca-210962149>: This state of knowledge paper draws on both national and international literature and policy and program evaluations, to establish what is currently known about innovative responses to violence against Indigenous women in Australia. [Source: ANROWS].

Presentation: The tale of two epidemics - Sinéad Delany-Moretlwe. STRIVE, 2015<http://strive.lshtm.ac.uk/resources/tale-two-epidemics-sin%C3%A9ad-delany-moretlwe>: For this webinar, Dr Sinéad Delany-Moretlwe<http://www.wrhi.ac.za/Pages/OurLeadership.aspx> adapts her plenary presentation from the South African AIDS Conference<http://www.saaids.com/> (9-12 June 2015, Durban). There, participants ranging from USAID to local community-based organisations responded to this crystallisation of key STRIVE analysis. In addition to her own work on adolescent girls' HIV risk and resilience, Dr Delany-Moretlwe synthesises discussions from STRIVE's high-level consultation on violence against women and girls and HIV, Greentree II, (12-14 May 2015, Greentree Estate, New York). [Source: STRIVE].

Reaching young married women and first-time parents for healthy timing and spacing of pregnancies in Burkina Faso. Pathfinder International, 2015:<http://www.pathfinder.org/publications-tools/reaching-young-married-women-first-time-parents.html> This technical brief discusses Pathfinder's experience implementing a project in Burkina Faso to reach young married women, first-time parents, and their key influencers for healthy timing and spacing of pregnancy through contraceptive use. [Source: Pathfinder International].

IV. Research opportunities, grants and funding

BMC Women's Health call for papers<http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcwomenshealth/about/update/SVwomen?utm_campaign=BMC20584B&utm_medium=BMCemail&utm_source=Teradata>: The role of structural violence in the lives of women. The purpose of this thematic series is to build a strong theoretical understanding of structural violence against women, and identify policy responses to address structural inequities that make women vulnerable to numerous forms of violence such as abuse, physical assaults, or criminal acts. The manuscripts should be directly submitted to BMC Women's Health<http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcwomenshealth> following the instructions at the journal website. All manuscripts will undergo peer review according to the journal's policy. [Source: SAMRC].

SARETI Masters Degree in Social Science in Health Research Ethics 2016<http://sareti.ukzn.ac.za/Education.aspx>: SARETI announces the availability of scholarships that offer full financial support (travel, course fees, accommodation, stipends) for four Masters' degree students annually. The scholarships are available to professionals involved in health research ethics and health research and who are resident in Africa. Applications from self-funded or sponsored students are welcome. Applications close: 28 August 2015. [Source: SAMRC].

V. Websites

Center for Changing Our Campus Culture<http://www.changingourcampus.org/>: This comprehensive online clearinghouse is supported by the Department of Justice's Office on Violence Against Women in collaboration with its designated Campus Program Technical Assistance Provider Team and provides important resources for colleges and universities on sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. [Source: U.S. Department of Justice].

VI. News

In New York City, sexual violence and drug abuse often go hand in hand, Medical Daily, 5 August 2015<http://www.medicaldaily.com/sexual-violence-and-drug-abuse-sexual-coercion-may-be-serious-problem-among-young-346338>: The nonmedical use of prescription opioids (POs)<http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/prescription-over-counter-medications> has become an issue of serious public concern within the last decade. In this time frame, young adults especially have increased their use of Pos, with self-reported use at 11%. Overdose deaths involving POs now outnumber those involving cocaine and heroin combined. Though at first glance they may seem unrelated, this upsurge in nonmedical opiate use can be tied to sexual violence.

Clinic aims to help rape victims claim their body back, BBC, 5 August 2015<http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-33645008>: About 85,000 women are raped in England and Wales every year, according to official figures. Now, the UK's first cervical screening and sexual transmitted infections (STIs) clinic for women who have experienced sexual violence is to open in east London. The woman behind the project explains how she came up with the idea.

Iraq: UN officials underscore need to bring perpetrators of Sinjar tragedy to justice, UN News Centre, 3 August 2015<http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=51556#.VcNegvmqqko>: United Nations officials have reiterated the need to bring perpetrators of last year's tragedy, in which militants from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) attacked as many as 200,000 civilians - most of them from vulnerable communities - causing them to flee to Sinjar, to justice as well as to increase protection for women and girls from conflict-related sexual violence.

Women, Peace and Security agenda still hitting glass ceiling, Inter Press Service News Agency, 30 July 2015<http://www.ipsnews.net/2015/07/women-peace-and-security-agenda-still-hitting-glass-ceiling/>: his October will mark the 15th anniversary of the adoption of U.N. Security Council Resolution 1325. The landmark resolution on Women, Peace and Security (WPS) recognises not only the disproportionate impact armed conflict has on women, but also the lack of women's involvement in conflict resolution and peace-making.

VII. Events

Webinar: Ciudades seguras para mujeres y niñas y Análisis de datos de Latinobarómetro sobre victimización (Webinar in Spanish only), 26 August 2015<https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=MAJNC05X6OOE5J5807HBEONDDY-L559&rnd=259007.74177>. Fundación Ideaborn  y Development Connections le invitan a participar en este intercambio en el que se abordarán dos temas de especial interés: 1) Programa Ciudades Seguras para las Mujeres y las Niñas de ONU Mujeres - Adriana Quiñones y Alejandra Guerrón Montero; 2) Análisis de los datos de Latinobarómetro 2013 sobre victimización -  Martín Negrete y Dinys Luciano. [Source: Development Connections].

SVRI Forum 2015: Innovation and intersections, 14 - 17 September, Spier 1692, Stellenbosch, South Africa<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/index.htm>. We are delighted to announce the provisional SVRI Forum 2015 programme<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/glance.htm>. Please register<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/registration.htm> today to book your space at this important global event - space is filling up! There is still space in the pre-conference workshops and these can be booked online<http://www.svri.org/forum2015/workshop.htm>. We look forward to seeing you at the Forum!

Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, and Engaging Men & Boys, Washington D.C., 22 - 24 March 2016.<http://www.evawintl.org/conferencedetail.aspx?confid=27> You are invited to book an exhibition space at this exciting conference. The conference will bring together law enforcement personnel, prosecutors, victim advocates, judges, parole and probation officers, rape crisis workers, medical personnel, faith community members, educators, researchers and others in this three day conference highlighting promising practices and emerging issues to effectively respond to these crimes in all of our communities. [Source: EVAWI].

For more events visit: http://www.svri.org/calendar.htm

VIII. Vacancies

Senior Programme Officer/M&E<http://raisingvoices.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/JD_SrMEOfficer.pdf> (pdf) / Raising Voices / Kampala, Uganda / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: Raising Voices].

Prevention Project Coordinator<http://www.hopehousescw.org/career-opportunities.html> / Hope House of South Central Wisconsin / Baraboo, WI, USA / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: Hope House of South Central Wisconsin].

Communications & Knowledge Management Program Officer<http://www.awid.org/node/3881> / Urgent Action Fund-Africa (UAF-Africa) / African home country in line with UAF-Africa's virtual office policy / Closing date: Open until filled. [Source: AWID Jobs eNews].

MENA Regional Adviser Gender, P-5<http://www.awid.org/node/3882> / UNICEF / Amman, Jordan / Closing date: 13 August 2015. [Source: AWID Jobs eNews].

Disarmament Intern<http://www.awid.org/node/3932> / Reaching Critical Will (RCW) - Women's International League for Peace and Freedom / Geneva, Switzerland / Closing date: 13 August 2015. [Source: AWID Jobs eNews].

Virginia Palmer Fellowship for Monitoring and Evaluation<http://www.awid.org/node/3854> / VGIF / New York, USA / Closing date: 14 August 2015. [Source: AWID Jobs eNews].

Program Associate<http://www.awid.org/node/3884> / Trickle Up (TU) / New York, USA / Closing date: 21 August 2015. [Source: AWID Jobs eNews].

Technical Advisor, Women's Protection and Empowerment<http://www.awid.org/node/3878> / International Rescue Committee (IRC) / Washington D.C, New York, USA, flexible / Closing date: 28 August 2015. [Source: AWID Jobs eNews].

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa. The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem. To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org> or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>