[Svrilist] SVRI Special Update - SVRI new Website launch and SVRI WBG Development Marketplace Awards are Today!

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Tue Apr 12 18:14:07 SAST 2016

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D194E3.40E8A310]

Dear SVRI List Members,

The SVRI team is thrilled to send out this special update to celebrate the following two events:

I.                     Launching the new SVRI website!

The SVRI is proud to announce the launch of our new, fresh and dynamic website. The website is located at the same address: www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org>.

The new website offers recent collections of sexual violence research and other related research publications such as journal articles, reports and links to various organisations. Visitors on our website will be able to keep up to date with the latest events, news and publications while saving on their bandwidth. The new website is easy to navigate and there is a search "button" on the homepage which allows you to get whatever you need quicker.

If you need the latest information on webinars, conferences and workshops that are based on sexual violence and other related areas check our calendar of events. You will get detailed information on events around the globe<http://www.svri.org/event-calendar>.

Our new design still keeps the essential elements of the previous website and is restructured under the following themes:

  *   Priority Areas<http://www.svri.org/our-priorities>: Our priority areas have been carefully thought through to align with SVRIs Sexual Violence Research Agenda<http://svri.org/documents/research-agenda>. Each area can be found on the left hand tab, containing up to date reports, journal abstracts and relevant links.
  *   Country Pages<http://www.svri.org/documents/country-pages>: The country pages are featured by region on the left hand tab. Please send us your country specific work to add.
  *   Supporting Research<http://www.svri.org/supporting-research>: This theme is similar to our old website but offers more in-depth sub-categories and updated materials.
  *   Funding Opportunities<http://www.svri.org/documents/funding-resources>: This theme provides a list of funding resources from across the globe.

Our top bar retains essential information about the SVRI, our publications, meetings and workshops, the SVRI Forum and our online platforms. We are also excited to bring you Pdf archive versions of the SVRI Update for download under SVRI Update Online.

We would like to encourage you to explore our new innovative website at: www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org>. Please note that the website continues to be updated - if you have any queries or documentation to share, you are welcome to contact us at: svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>.

II.                   Announcing the winners! The SVRI and the World Bank Development Marketplace for Innovation on Gender Based Violence Prevention 2016

We would like to congratulate the nine successful SVRI and World Bank Innovation Grant awardees. The awards recognised teams from Bangladesh, Brazil, Kenya, Lebanon, Moldova, Peru, Thailand, Turkey, and Uganda for the following proposals:

*       The Effects of Transfers and Behavior Change Communication on Intimate Partner Violence: Evidence from Rural Bangladesh (Bangladesh, South Asia Region)
Team: Akhter Ahmed, Lynette Aspillera, Melissa Hidrobo, John Hoddinott, Shalini Roy

*       Double Vulnerabilities of Violence and HIV Among Women in Brazil: A Latent Class Analysis (Brazil, Latin America/Caribbean Region)
Team: Regina Barbosa, Sandra Cruickshank, Daniela Knauth, Jamila Stockman, Kiyomi Tsuyuki

*       Mental Health and Problem Management Support for Men to Reduce Incidences of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence in Urban Kenya (Kenya, Africa Region)
Team: World Vision Kenya: Phiona Koyiet, William Marwanga, Mary Mugo, Margaret Njenga, Catherine Omenda, Kevina Power. World Vision International: Alison Schafer

*       Making Sense of Early Marriage Among Syrian Refugee Girls (Lebanon, Middle East/North Africa Region)
Team: Nour Bakhache, Susan Bartels, Annie Bunting, Colleen Davison, Saja Michael, Mary Purcell

*       Preventing Gender-Based Partner Violence Among Youth with a New School-Based Course, "Harmonious Couple Relationships" (Moldova, Eastern Europe/Central Asia Region)
Team: Diana Cheianu, Daniela Misail-Nichitin, Valentina Olaru

*       Masculinities and Prevention of Sexual Violence (Peru, Latin America/Caribbean Region)
Team: Nancy Palomino, Miguel Angel Ramos Padilla

*       Trauma-Informed, Community-Engaged Violence Prevention for Female Sex Workers in Thailand (Thailand, East Asia/Pacific Region)
Team: Michele Decker, Surang Janyam, Chamrong Phaengnongyang, Dusita Phuengsamran

*       Formative Research to Inform the Development of an Intervention to Prevent Intimate Partner Violence Among Syrian Refugees in Izmir, Turkey (Turkey, Eastern Europe/Central Asia Region)
Team: Harvard Medical School, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Relief Society for Syrian Refugees in Izmir, Women and Health Alliance (WAHA) International

*       Designing a Gender-Transformative Intervention to Involve Men and Boys in the Prevention of Intimate Partner Violence Against Women and Girls in Rural Uganda (Uganda, Africa Region)
Team: Paul Fleming, Fred K. Nalugoda, Gertrude Nakigozi, Neema Nakyanjo, Jennifer A. Wagman

Well done to all our awardees! We look forward to a fruitful partnership with all. The presentations of awardees and informative posters are available on the brand new SVRI website<http://www.svri.org/svrinterest/svri-and-world-bank-innovations-prevent-gender-based-violence-building-evidence>.

Event is livestreaming online at WorldBank.org/gender<http://worldbank.org/gender>

Follow on twitter #GBVsolutions

[Capture]

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa.  The SVRI aims to promote research on sexual violence and generate empirical data to ensure sexual violence is recognized as a priority public health problem.  To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org> or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>