[Svrilist] Invitation: Blogging for the SVRI

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Tue Oct 25 09:51:54 SAST 2016

[SVRI logo]

Dear SVRI List Members

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative<http://www.svri.org/> is looking for guest bloggers with original ideas, fresh outlooks. Blogs provide an opportunity to teach, share and inspire others. The SVRI and World Bank networks and platforms provide to a global audience of researchers, policy-makers, funders and many others.

What should I blog about?

As a field, many of us yearn for space and opportunities to share, discuss and debate: the "how to" of doing  great research; to discuss the challenges we face as researchers doing research in vulnerable settings on highly sensitive topics; we want to know and discuss the different measures and tools being used, and how tools have been validated for different settings, we want discussions on gaps in the field and how your work will make a difference, and lessons for others on adapting and / or developing an intervention, and what we need to think about if we want to take our interventions to scale. Your blog could just be a short description of your project - what you are wanting to achieve, how you are strengthening the evidence and how you are doing so or even a summary of a fantastic presentation you have been to. Even if you do not have any data as yet, there are so many other fascinating developments being learned through your innovative studies. We want to help you share them.

Here are a list of possible topics you could focus on:

*         Sexual violence

*         Gender based violence

*         Violence against women and children

*         Childhood sexual abuse

*         Engaging faith in responding to and prevention SGBV

*         Feminist approaches to engaging men in SGBV prevention and responses.

*         Sexual violence and HIV

*         Traditional harmful practices

*         Cross Cutting Issues

*         Child participation in research on sexual abuse

*         Research efforts on marginalized populations, including women with disabilities, LGBTI, sex workers, migrants, refugees; internally displaced populations, and indigenous populations

*                     New forms of gender-based violence including cyber bullying, cyber stalking and secondary victimization

Your blog need only to be between 500-1000 words long, but they can be shorter. They need be as long as it takes to get your message across.

Some tips for writing blogs

Many of you are sure to be expert blog writers, but some additional tips are always helpful when writing a blog.

*           Make sure your title is no longer than 140 characters so that it fits in a tweet

*           A summary at the top on what your blog is about is always useful, and should be no more than 165 characters so that it fits into google search results

*           Know your target audience: Write your post with your reader in mind. What will resonate with them? What do they want to know about? What's in it for them?

*           Opening paragraph is important! The first paragraph should tell the reader who, what the post is about and why they should care about it.

*           Keep your blog short and simple: Readers generally scan a blog post. Keep it short and snappy, with a clear structure - including a major heading and sub-headings. Write shorter posts more often, using plain language (short, simple words and sentences). Ask yourself, would someone who knows little or nothing about the topic understand my blog post?

*           Search Engine Optimisation: Make your post attractive to online search engines by peppering your blog with searchable keywords / phrases and links.
Interested bloggers should email their blogs to svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>

View our blogs here<http://www.svri.org/blog>.

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses.

The Sexual Violence Research Initiative is hosted by the South Africa Medical Research Council. The SVRI aims to increase awareness and promote research on sexual violence and its linkages to other forms of violence to influence policy and practice, particularly in low and middle income countries. To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org> or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>