[Svrilist] SVRI Update 1 2 2018

Sexual Violence Research Initiative svri at mrc.ac.za
Thu Feb 1 15:52:43 SAST 2018

[SVRIMail]

JOURNAL ARTICLES

[Special feature]: New WHO violence prevention information system, an interactive knowledge platform of scientific findings on violence. Burrows S, Butchart A, Butler N, Quigg Z, Bellis M.A, Mikton C. Inj. Prev. ePub, 2018<http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/early/2018/01/20/injuryprev-2017-042694>: This article offers an online interactive collection of scientific information about the prevalence, consequences, risk factors and preventability of all forms of interpersonal violence. (Source: BMJ Journals).

Evaluating the impact of DREAMS on HIV incidence among young women who sell sex: protocol for a non-randomised study in Zimbabwe. Hensen B, Hargreaves J.R, Chiyaka T, Chabata S, Mushati P, Floyd S, Birdthistle I, Busza J, Cowan F. BMC Public Health. 18(203), 1-10, 2018<https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-018-5085-6>: In this protocol paper, authors describe the evaluation of a complex and ambitious intervention package being delivered by multiple providers with the aim of reducing HIV infection rates among high-risk young women in Zimbabwe. (Source: BMC Public Health).

>From "a fair game" to "a form of covert research": research ethics committee members' differing notions of consent and potential risk to participants within social media research. Hibbin R.A, Samuel G, Derrick G.E. J. Empir. Res. Hum. Res. Ethics. ePub, 2018<https://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_571698_12>: Social media research presents new challenges for research ethics committees who must balance familiar ethical principles with new notions of public availability. This article examines how ethics committee members view this balance in terms of risk and consent. (Source: Safetylit).

End impunity! reducing conflict-related sexual violence to a problem of law. Houge A.B, Lohne K. Law and Society Review. 51(4), 755-789, 2017<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/lasr.12294/full>: This article identifies frames that construct the fight against conflict-related sexual violence as a fight against impunity. (Source: University of Oslo).

Recommendations for responding to survivors of sexual assault: a qualitative study of survivors and support providers. Kirkner A, Lorenz K, Ullman S.E. J. Interpers. Violence. ePub, 2017<https://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_570004_20>: This study explores recommendations from survivors to informal supporters, formal service providers, and other survivors on what is needed in the aftermath of sexual assault. (Source: Safetylit).

Integrating reproductive health services into intimate partner and sexual violence victim service programs. Gmelin T, Raible C.A, Dick R, Kukke S, Miller E. Violence Against Women. ePub, 2017<https://www.safetylit.org/citations/index.php?fuseaction=citations.viewdetails&citationIds%5B%5D=citjournalarticle_571426_28>: This study assesses the feasibility of integrating reproductive health services into intimate partner violence and sexual violence programs. (Source: Safetylit).

________________________________

ONLINE RESOURCES

Innovative models in addressing violence against Indigenous women: Key findings and future directions. Blagg H, Williams E, Cummings E, Hovane V, Torres M, Woodley K.N. ANROWS. 2018<https://d2c0ikyv46o3b1.cloudfront.net/anrows.org.au/4.3%20Blagg%20Key%20Findings%20and%20Future%20Directions.pdf>: This report assesses the national and international literature and policy and program evaluations to establish what is currently known about innovative responses to violence against Indigenous women in Australia. (Source: ANROWS).

Brief: Positive youth development approaches to mitigate sexual violence and coercion among adolescents: building choice, voice, and agency for prevention and response. Ricker C.L, Parsons J. YouthPower Learning. 2018<http://www.youthpower.org/resources/pyd-approaches-mitigate-sexual-violence-and-coercion-among-adolescents-building-choice>: The brief highlights examples of successful programs for reducing the occurrence of sexual coercion and force and describes strategies for responding to them. (Source: Making Cents International).

Ending child marriage: Child marriage laws and their limitations. Wodon Q, Tavares P, Fiala O, Le nestour A, Wise L. London and Washington, DC: Save the Children, The World Bank. 2017<http://wbl.worldbank.org/~/media/WBG/WBL/Documents/Reports/2017/WBL2017_Child_Marriage_Laws.pdf>: This brief summarizes findings from research undertaken by Save the Children and the World Bank on the lack of legal protection against child marriage for girls and marriages that take place below the national minimum age of marriage. (Source: WUNRN).

Health systems strengthening: Monitoring, evaluation, and learning guide. Aqil A, Silvestre E, Hotchkiss D, Maniscalco L. MEASURE Evaluation. 2017<https://www.measureevaluation.org/resources/publications/tr-17-167c>: This guide provides step-by-step instructions on planning, implementing, and evaluating health systems strengthening project. (Source: MEASURE Evaluation).

IndiKit: Gender equality toolkit<http://indikit.net/sector/78-gender-equality>: This webpage provides indicators relating to gender equality and women empowerment, gender based violence and behaviour change communication. (Source: IndiKit).

________________________________

RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES & GRANTS

Request for proposals<https://www.awid.org/get-involved/request-proposals-provision-consultancy-services-developing-awid-membership-strategy>: Provision of consultancy services in developing an AWID Membership Strategy. Deadline: 12 February 2018.

Call for applications<https://www2.fundsforngos.org/arts-and-culture/unaocs-youth-solidarity-fund-supporting-youth-led-organizations-to-promote-peace-and-prevent-violent-extremism/>: UNAOC's youth solidarity fund - Supporting youth-led organizations to promote peace and prevent violent extremism. Deadline: 16 February 2018.

Call for contributions<http://www.svri.org/news/call-contributions-gender-development-%E2%80%93-young-feminisms-issue>: Gender & Development Journal - Young feminisms issue. Deadline: 19 February 2018.

Call for applications<http://awdf.org/main-grants-call-for-applications/>: African Women's Development Fund. Deadline: 7 March 2018.

Call for papers<http://www.svri.org/news/call-papers-exploring-sexual-and-reproductive-health-and-rights-srhr-inequities-within>: Exploring Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) inequities within countries. Deadline: 1 May 2018.

________________________________

EVENTS

VACANCIES

  *   (Reminder) Webinar: JLI gender-based violence hub harmful traditional practices, 8 February 2018<https://jliflc.com/events/jli-gender-based-violence-hub-harmful-traditional-practices-webinar/>: In this webinar, presenters will discuss results of their study titled - 'Working effectively with faith leaders to challenge harmful traditional practices (HTP)'.
  *   Webinar: Clinical assessment of children with problematic sexual behaviour: an overview, 13 February 2018<https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/772203897277217539>: This webinar will address clinical assessment of children referred due to concerns about sexual behaviour. Register online<https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/772203897277217539>

                                 NEWS

  *   Announcer: International Women's Day 2018<http://www.unwomen.org/en/news/stories/2018/1/announcer-iwd-2018-theme>, Un Women, 26 January 2018.

  *   Trump-pence administration's neo-colonial assault on reproductive freedom is killing African women and girls<https://rewire.news/article/2018/01/23/trump-pence-administrations-neocolonial-assault-reproductive-freedom-killing-african-women-girls/>, Rewire News, 23 January 2018.

  *   With newfound democracy, Gambia faces resurgence in FGM and child marriage<http://news.trust.org/item/20180123090036-m8b8o/>, Thomson Reuters Foundation News, 23 January 2018.

  *   Breaking the silence: Why we should all take a zero-tolerance approach to sexual harassment and abuse<http://www.ipsnews.net/2018/01/breaking-silence-take-zero-tolerance-approach-sexual-harassment-abuse/>, IPS News, 16 January 2018.

  *   Global Advocacy Manager<https://www.awid.org/get-involved/global-advocacy-manager>, Women for Women International, London, UK - Closing date: 4 February 2018.
  *   Head of Research and Programme Policy - International Development<https://www.awid.org/get-involved/head-research-and-programme-policy-international-development>, ActionAid, London, UK - Closing date: 11 February 2018.
  *   Director, Global Advocacy<https://www.awid.org/get-involved/director-global-advocacy-0>, Data2X, Washington, USA - Closing date: Open until filled.
  *   Senior Research Advisor<https://www.awid.org/get-involved/senior-research-advisor>, Women's Refugee Commission, New York, USA - Closing date: Open until filled.
  *   Multiple opportunities with Greenpeace Canada<https://www.awid.org/get-involved/multiple-opportunities-greenpeace-canada>, Greenpeace Canada, Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver - Closing date: Open until filled.
  *   Social Media Intern<https://www.awid.org/get-involved/social-media-intern-0>, Gender at Work, Flexible - Closing date: Open until filled.

Sexual violence is a global issue that requires coordinated evidence-based responses
The Sexual Violence Research Initiative is hosted by the Medical Research Council, South Africa. The SVRI aims to increase awareness and promote research on sexual violence and its linkages to other forms of violence to influence policy and practice, particularly in low and middle-income countries. To learn more about the SVRI visit our website www.svri.org<http://www.svri.org> or contact us at svri at mrc.ac.za<mailto:svri at mrc.ac.za>